Home Cigar 101

Buying a Real Cuban - How do I know?

C130opsC130ops Posts: 1
When traveling to other countries and I see a offer for Cubans, how can I know I am really buying a Cuban? Zero experience and I just want to try.

Are duty free shops trustworthy?

My other experiences:

Jamica - Monte Cristo's - I asked for a box and the seller said "no box, cheaper in bulk" - I passed.

Mexico - Romeo Juliettas - Seller had them boxed but in a tupperware container - I passed.

Both places were really expensive and both had labels that said "Habana".

Is there a way to tell?

Thank you, 

Comments

• avengethisavengethis Posts: 5,686 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are ways to tell but you need to know what to look for
    Team O'Donnell FTW!

"I've got a great cigar collection - it's actually not a collection, because that would imply I wasn't going to smoke ever last one of 'em." - Ron White
  • jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, first, visit the welcome to newcomers thread, introduce yourself, and hopefully stick around and become a solid member. 

In in the meantime, you can study this website to learn how to answer your question;

http://www.cubancigarwebsite.com/brand.aspx?brand=Cohiba0
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,917
    Buy from an LCDH store and you will always be good to go. La Casa Del Habano. They have shops all over the world. 
  • miller65rodmiller65rod Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ^^^^What he said^^^^
    Free Cuba
    "I ain't got no Opus's"
    LLA
    - Lancero Lovers of America
    2016 Gang War (South)
    May I assss u a ?

• dirtdudedirtdude Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am 35 miles from Nogales and every little shop has cubans but only saw one that stored them in a humidor, at 18% rh here I doubt they would be in very good shape without humidity. asking price is 20 a stick which seems reasonable, I was concerned about the condition
    A little dirt never hurt
  • Usaf06Usaf06 Posts: 10,932 ✭✭✭✭✭
    dirtdude said:
    I am 35 miles from Nogales and every little shop has cubans but only saw one that stored them in a humidor, at 18% rh here I doubt they would be in very good shape without humidity. asking price is 20 a stick which seems reasonable, I was concerned about the condition
    Besides cohibas most are under 10 a stick
    "I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
    -- Winston Churchill

"LET'S GO FRANCIS"     Peter

• jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    james40 said:
    Buy from an LCDH store and you will always be good to go. La Casa Del Habano. They have shops all over the world. 

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• kswildcatkswildcat Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just take Brad @avengethis on your trips and he will point out the real from fakes.. Just have to feed him with food, cigars and booze. And of course a place to rest..lol
  • CigarFanaticCigarFanatic Posts: 225 ✭✭✭
    When I go abroad, I bring my reference binder with me. It has a lot true bands and pictures as well as tips from cigar websites as well as known fakes.

Look into a few websites. The biggest and first giveaway I look for is the seal on the box. I use this image as reference all the time. I never buy cubans unless it is by the box or the box has been opened in front of me.

How do make this text turn upside down?
  • dirtdudedirtdude Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2016
    I will look for the LCDH store if Nogy has one. The link for the cuban cigar website is cool, spent a long time wandering around there.
    ok, I see the closest LCDH is Hermosillo, about a 5 hr drive, did it about 35 yr ago but not advisable these days, too many bandidos. However I see they have free shipping on orders over $168, just need a friend in Nogy with an adress.
    Post edited by dirtdude on
    A little dirt never hurt
  • reggie713reggie713 Posts: 2,517 ✭✭✭✭