Home Non Cigar Related

Anybody have experience with Paint Sprayer

avengethisavengethis Posts: 5,686 ✭✭✭✭✭
I am looking at getting a sprayer to do my cabinets, trim and maybe walls for the remodel project.  I am going to go insane right now reading all the reviews, pros/cons of all the different ones. Before I throw my .02 cents into it I want to hear if you guys have any experience with not a cheap sprayer but not crazy high end.  I'm hoping to keep it under $400 or around that point.  I'll be spraying latex and this stuff is pretty thing from Sherwin Williams.
Team O'Donnell FTW!

"I've got a great cigar collection - it's actually not a collection, because that would imply I wasn't going to smoke ever last one of 'em." - Ron White

Comments

• avengethisavengethis Posts: 5,686 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What I will be mostly needing it for is to prime/paint my cabinets, trim, doors.  If its also capable I may spray my walls as well but that is not necessarily a necessity.  If a unit is capable It would be great to also be able to stain my deck and paint my aluminum siding.  Those are down on the priority list as my main concern is to help expedite this remodel project.
    Team O'Donnell FTW!

"I've got a great cigar collection - it's actually not a collection, because that would imply I wasn't going to smoke ever last one of 'em." - Ron White
  • silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,043 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2016
    Spray guns take a lot of air so pay attention to the cfm capacity of your compressor. Can't help you with what type of gun you need, my only experience is spraying heavy pottery glazes. Oh, and Harbor Freight guns are not very well made.
    Yeah I am looking at more of a handheld and an airless
    Team O'Donnell FTW!

• WylaffWylaff Posts: 5,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...
  • YaksterYakster Posts: 25,527 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll gladly bomb you Tuesday for an Opus today. 

Join us on the New Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • onestrangeoneonestrangeone Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hey Brad, while it is possible to do your cabinets with an airless rig it does take some practice, these are generally for large areas, walls, ceilings etc. and they put out a lot of paint very fast, I can spray a typical set of kitchen cabinets with an airless in about 10 - 15 min. A lot of times you can get a reconditioned rig from HD, Lowes or SW go with Titian or Greyco. normally I prefer an HVLP set up for cabinets, doors and trim, you get a lot better atomization of the paint and a lot less overspray, and much better control, the downside is they are more $ and are not very practical for walls and such, again check the Titian set ups. They start at about a grand.

If you have a compressor that puts out enough air you can set up a paint pot, this way you can get different guns for the different applications, an HVLP for the cabinets trim etc. and a different gun for walls, exterior  or whatever you want.

Your best bet on the deck is a pump-up sprayer your going to have to backroll it regardless of how you put it on.  

I talked to a guy I know that has the ability to do my doors and drawers for cabinets. I will just roll the frames and bases. I'll still need to figure out the trim and doors.
    Team O'Donnell FTW!

• Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    If you have central air be careful and cover all vents and returns!! It can go through the house
    Money can't buy taste