Home Cigar 101

Long tem storage

JPDMJPDM Posts: 1
Hello to everyone. New member here.
I have been reading the posts of the last couple of years. A lot of interesting stuff. I still have a question. First some background. 
I keep 50 or so cigars in a passive table humidor for my short term smoking. The rest of the inventory, maybe 300 to 400, are kept in my wine cellar in their original boxes. The wine cellar temperature is 57 degrees and humidity about 50%
I have 2 unopened boxes that have been sitting there for 12 years. One box of Cohiba Siglo VI and One box of OpusX (double coronas).  The OpusX box is shrink-wrapped. I just added  2 boxes that I don't plan to smoke short term (Cohiba Behike 56 and Cohiba Genios Maduro 5). My question is, should I shrink-wrap these two new boxes for long term storage or it doesn't matter?

Comments

• jarublajarubla Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think your numbers are a bit low. You ideally want humidity a tad bit higher. Temps are just fine.

How are you measuring humidity? Any chance it is lower than 50? Hate to say it, but you might have some ruined inventory. 

I was going to say coolers of some sort, but perhaps your cellar is sealed well enough and you can run a big cigar humidifier (like an Oasis or two) in the room.

And the million dollar question; have you smoked any of your sticks lately? How are they doing? Any issues with brittle wrappers or burn problems?

-Jay
    “There’ll be two dates on your tombstone and all your friends will read ’em but all that’s gonna matter is that little dash between ’em.” -Kevin Welch
    Oh and if you need any help doing some QA testing, I know a guy ;)

Welcome to the forum!
    “There’ll be two dates on your tombstone and all your friends will read ’em but all that’s gonna matter is that little dash between ’em.” -Kevin Welch
  • CharlieHeisCharlieHeis Posts: 8,144 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree that the humidity is a little low. I don't know if they are ruined, but I'd get them into a cooler/humidor a little closer to 65-70% humidity. What percent humidity do you keep your table humidor at?
  • The3StogiesThe3Stogies Posts: 2,652 ✭✭✭✭
    Welcome to the forum.  

With that inventory I would get them their own comfortable home.  Is there a cigar lounge/store close that rents storage?  They will maintain the temp and rh for you, hopefully.  May be a quick short term solution until you get them their own place.  

@jarubla , when you said his numbers were low did you mean inventory?
  • raisindotraisindot Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭
    Welcome to the forum, @JPDM! jJst whereabouts in Sherbooke do you live? How big is your house? Is there a certain time of year you go on vacation? And what kind of alarm system do you have? Just askin'  ;)
  • genareddoggenareddog Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome! Dont listen to these guys, I have some room in my cooler so I can store these for you. Promise I wont test any.
  • GuitardedGuitarded Posts: 4,643 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JPDM Welcome to the Forum (asylum for insane cigar fanatics). It sounds like your RH and temps are a bit low. I would open at least one of the older boxes to check conditions of them. If they seem dry or cracking you may need to SLOWLY raise the RH. Is the shrink wrap so thick that no moisture can penetrate??

Good Luck 

Friends don't let good friends smoke cheap cigars.
  • RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hope that humidity is wrong. The temp while low won't hurt anything but pretty much halts the aging process. 
  • Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    Honestly I like lower rh and temps but I feel 62-65rh is good and 65 degrees is my main temp. Personally I store them how they come...just FYI some Cubans can get moldy quick so I'd check on them and see how they are doing! But welcome and good luck! Oh is your wine cellar thermo electric or compressor driven?
    Money can't buy taste
    I just realized I read wine cellar to mean an actual hole in the ground cellar, as in a room. 

Well, shucks. LOL

Are we talking about a wineador/fridge of some sort?

-Jay