Home General Discussion

Are Cubans overated

AlbinfkAlbinfk Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭✭✭
First of all I've never had a real Cuban cigar but it seems to me that after all these years of not being able to have them (legally) that what the rest of the cigar world has to offer is as good or better. Thoughts?

Comments

• Usaf06Usaf06 Posts: 10,932 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Depends on your pallet. Some like fuller body some don't. I personally think that Nicaragua and other countries have caught up with Cuban tobacco
    "I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
    -- Winston Churchill

"LET'S GO FRANCIS"     Peter

• jliujliu Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭✭
    **** cubans 
  • AlbinfkAlbinfk Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I did and it was on the page right after the ad for the $20,000 watches. That's a lot of cigars! Love the way they rate them but forget to tell you that you can't buy them.
  • 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree that Cubans are good.
    But there are a ton of non that are just as good. 
    As was stated, they are definitely over rated, but I still would buy them given the chance.
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • Puff_DougiePuff_Dougie Posts: 4,599 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I missed you @Rain<3
    "When I have found intense pain relieved, a weary brain soothed, and calm, refreshing sleep obtained by a cigar, I have felt grateful to God, and have blessed His name." - Charles Haddon Spurgeon
  • miller65rodmiller65rod Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like Cubans but they are far from the best for me. Party and Cohiba Robo's are my favs. But as someone said the NC's have caught up and are just as good. Monte 4's seem to be mass produced and many times you have more issues with them than with others. Plugged, tight, etc. The Cuban cigars according to many in the 90's was just so-so. It seems to have made a turn for the better over the last decade but many have said also that they are not any where close to the cuban cigars made in the 60's 70's or 80's. I never smoked back then and have nothing to compare for myself other than words of wisdom from a bunch of old-timers at a local cigar lounge getting lit. I trust their experience. 

There are many NC's that smoke great and have great flavor. I love Boutique cigars from small blenders etc. If you get a good batch of Johnny O's they are great as well. 

When u see overseas retailers selling NC cigars that should tell you that the market is very diverse and the Cuban market hold is far from what it used to be. Value plays a big factor as well. I think the cigar market has many great cigars CC and NC.
    Free Cuba
    "I ain't got no Opus's"
    LLA
    - Lancero Lovers of America
    2016 Gang War (South)
    May I assss u a ?

• raisindotraisindot Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭
    I've had three Cubans, gifted by a generous BOTL from here. None of them were particularly strong. One was just plain lousy (can't remember the name). A Monte 3 was very good. And the best cigar I've ever smoked was a San Cristobal de La Habana. Medium strong, creamy, with that real "bubbly sensation" supposedly native only to Cubans. 

But I also agree that there are plenty of Nicaraguan and Dominican cigars that are probably just as good as most Cubans other than the Behinkes, which I've never tried. . 
  • GrouchoMGrouchoM Posts: 302 ✭✭✭
    Hmmmm? Interesting...acquiring knowledge. Hope we will all get the chance to judge in the near future.
    The secret word is cigars! 
  • Dark_RoastDark_Roast Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭
    No. I dated one in the 80's and she was wonderful! She new the difference between Fullbodied and Full-Flavoured! Oh...Cigars, sorry never had one.
  • YankeeManYankeeMan Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've only had two Cubans so far.  They were good, but a lot of the non-Cubans are just as good.
  • NolagizmoNolagizmo Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have really enjoyed every one of the cigars I am not suposed to smoke, they have been limited to less than a dozen and never the same one. There are many NC cigars I prefer because I find them to have more spice or more of what I prefer. There is only 1 so far that I would get totally "hyped" up to be able to keep on hand. Maybe if our country that I love and respect moves out of the dark ages and stops telling us what we can and can't smoke I will be able to come to a more accurate conclusion. Till then I'm fine with what's available, doubt I will stop buying my favorites just because there is a higher priced cigar that I don't know I'm missing suddenly becomes available.
    "Come party with me in Tennessee for my birthday July we can smoke in the Smokey's."