Home Cigar 101

Gaps in lid of new humidor

ThePascoThePasco Posts: 12
I am new to cigars and am jumping in head first. I picked up a humidor from an online retailer and have a question about the seal. There are small gaps in the wood on two corners. I started seasoning it with the gaps but I am wondering if I need to address that or not. I would prefer to just fix it rather than deal with the hassle of sending it back. 

Best Answer

Answers

• Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    Welcome and yes I'd send it back!! 
    Money can't buy taste
  • kswildcatkswildcat Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome to the forum first and foremost.

More then likely your going to have seal issues. Not sure how you plan to attempt to remedy the problem but be careful with adhesives and such as they could effect your cigars..

There are many videos online to help you season and test your seal. I would try sending some links but I am on a smartphone and well not sure how to do all the cut and paste stuff on it.

I too jumped in head first and ordered 2 starter sets right off the bat. Currently my 2 humidors are used for storage in my cooler because of seal problems. This may be an option you take after awhile yourself. 

Good luck with your humidor and try to hop over to the newbie thread and introduce yourself.
  • jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Personally, I'd send it back....  B)
  • ThePascoThePasco Posts: 12
    The main reason I was hoping there would be a fix is because it's a 300 count humidor so shipping will suck. I wasn't sure if there was anything that can be used to fill the gaps or if the wood swells a significant amount when seasoned to close that. 
  • matkn293matkn293 Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I will not swell that much. I would call the retailer and let them k ow the situation. Maybe even send pics. That may just send you a new one and tell you to trash the old one. And/or reimburse shipping. 

Life is too short to smoke bad cigars!!!

Oh when the Blues, Oh when the Blues, Oh when the Blues go marching in!

• kswildcatkswildcat Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭✭✭

My bad.. I thought you may have got a cheap 50 count starter set humidor.. Yeah I'd for sure do what @matkn293 said...
  • ThePascoThePasco Posts: 12
    It's not that expensive, $120ish. But it would probably be $30 to ship or so and that's 1/4 of the price. 
  • genareddoggenareddog Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Send it back. A good reputable retailer will pay all shipping cost. Welcome to the forum.
  • AlbinfkAlbinfk Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hello. If your not gonna send it back the only fix is to neatly caulk the joints. It was a very poor mitre cut to begin with combined with it drying and shrinking. Good luck.
  • webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, send the seller some pics. It doesn't hurt to try. Merchants only survive if they keep the customer happy. Especially in this day and age, where there are no captive audiences. He'll prolly jump at the chance to make it right.
    “It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)