Home Cigar 101

Humidor Advice

MrSpacelyMrSpacely Posts: 8
Hello everyone.
I am beginning to enjoy cigars much more than I have in the past and I need some advice.
12 years ago, my wife bought me a beautiful humidor as a wedding gift.
I have always stored cigars in it, left in the celo, but I never seasoned the humidor.
It came with a bottle of Griffo, but I have never used that either, or filled humidor with distilled water.
Is it too late to do this? 
Also, it came with a cylindrical humidor, which I have never set up as well.
The humidor did not come with instructions, which is why I never bothered to do any of this.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

Comments

• Usaf06Usaf06 Posts: 10,932 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2016
    Never too late to,season it. Easiest way would be to get some 84% boveda packs and leave them in for a week or so. Then get some 65 or 69 bovedas to maintain. Also buy a digital hygrometer. The analog ones that come with humidors are trash
    "I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
    -- Winston Churchill

"LET'S GO FRANCIS"     Peter

• RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Definitely season them. You'll notice a big difference in your cigars. Hopefully you still got a good seal. That's easy to check. If they aren't glass tops just turn on a flashlight and put it in them. If any light escapes then your seal is no good. 
  • MrSpacelyMrSpacely Posts: 8
    I believe the seal is still very good.   The lid is very tight and it takes some effort to open...
  • RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    MrSpacely said:
    I believe the seal is still very good.   The lid is very tight and it takes some effort to open...
    It shouldn't take effort to open. A humidor is meant to breathe.