Home Cigar 101

Lost the ability to enjoy a good cigar

Cigar-724556Cigar-724556 Posts: 6
Several years ago I lost the ability to enjoy a good cigar. It started around 10 years ago and got progressively worse. My favorite cigar was the Macanudo. The wonderful mild spicy flavor and aroma was irresistible. It was gradual and took 10 years but now I can't taste or smell anything but harsh horrible smoke that's like smoking a rolled up bundle of dirty shop rags. I finally gave up and quit all together after trying other brands and having the same problem. Can anyone help me with this? What did I do wrong? What happend? Thanks

Comments

• Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Any medications you take regularly that might be suspect? 
  • WylaffWylaff Posts: 5,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Macanudos are about as light as they get. Have you maybe tried something with a full body? Many people start out light and lose their taste for them fairly quickly.
    "Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...
  • The3StogiesThe3Stogies Posts: 2,652 ✭✭✭✭
    That's too bad.  Only affected the cigar taste or other things like food, or drinks, as well?  My brother in law had polyps in his nose that affected his taste.  
  • Cigar-724556Cigar-724556 Posts: 6
    Not on any meds, 60 years old, blood press 114/72, food tastes fine no change there. As far as I know no change in my sense of smell or nose problems, have a better sense of smell than most. I just can't put my finger on it. Thanks for trying. I am headed to the doctor on the 16th for my check-up, I'll ask him about it. Didn't think it could be medical. 
  • CAcigarguy007CAcigarguy007 Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Smoke a Macanudo 1968! If you can't enjoy that then maybe the taste buds are just shot. Could also be a phase, it happens. You are chugging along loving the stogies and then one day they get meh. Usually a break helps to restore lost affection but It sounds like you've done that. You can also try shaking things up and stepping outside your comfort zone and try some different blends. Outside of that you may just have to enjoy being a non-smoker. 
    Just a non-smoker for now. I never did like the full flavor cigars. I always liked the Mac. Has anyone else lost the taste for the Mac? Have they changed. I heard they were bought out by Sweetish Match corp along with a whole bunch of other cigar makers. Did this have something to do with the change? Are there any other Mac smokers that have noticed a change? Thanks
  • kswildcatkswildcat Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2016
    I used to enjoy the ascots like 15 yes ago, when I got back into cigars I  done a bit of research and many people where saying they are not what they use to be. Since back I've smoked a Hyde Park, Cru Royal and a Baron De Rothschild.  The Hyde and Cru were not terrible, the Baron was absolutely horrid.
    Thats what I thought. I started on ascots about the same time just wouderful little cigars. I absolutely loved em, they just went to hell like all the other Macanudos. I really didn't think it was me. I stayed with the Mac as long as I could, it was kind of like a drug dealer, he will sell you the good stuff at the start to get you hooked, then start selling you the garbage later on for more profit. His customer just keeps buying the crap just hopping to get that good stuff once again thinking it just a temporary thing. What a shame. It just never ends does it folks. Thanks for all your comments. 
  • Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If I were you I'd keep trying mild blends specifically. Talk with cigar shop owners and fellow smokers for recommendations. Call the sales reps at cigar.com too!  Maybe you can find another favorite out there. Have you had the Avo classic?

I've never found one cigar that was my one and only. I keep trying new stuff and revisiting many many favorites. Good luck to you.  
  • Usaf06Usaf06 Posts: 10,932 ✭✭✭✭✭
    La Palina classic is great also
    "I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
    -- Winston Churchill

"LET'S GO FRANCIS"     Peter

• kswildcatkswildcat Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Try some other brands. So many to choose from. I don't smoke a bunch milds  and have nowhere near the palate @Bob_Luken and @Usaf06 ..
  • webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe cigars are not for you. 
    “It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• GrouchoMGrouchoM Posts: 302 ✭✭✭
    I'm five months in and experiencing the same. A little concerned. 
    The secret word is cigars! 
  • peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,315 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's a sign from heaven that you should stop smoking cigars.
    "I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • GrouchoMGrouchoM Posts: 302 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2016
    Maybe so, hopefully it's just few bad sticks. I'll let you know after my next 1,000 cigars-I'm no quitter.  If after that nothing changes I'll stop. Lol.

Hope it passes SOON. 
    The secret word is cigars! 
  • Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    If you were smoking them 15 or 16 years ago they could've still been the left over Jamaican ones! That would be when they were actually good! When they moved to the DR they went down hill and well it happens
    Money can't buy taste
  • reggie713reggie713 Posts: 2,517 ✭✭✭✭
    Sorry to hear this
  • dirtdudedirtdude Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I hope it isn't contagious, good luck
    A little dirt never hurt
    I'll always be on the lookout for a good Mac. I dosen't take much to tell the good from the bad all you have to do is open the box. If you get that wonderful spicy smell you hit the jackpot. If not just put them back on the shelf. I was thinking of taking some of the cigar tours through the plantations in Jamaica & DR some day maybe i'll get lucky. You just have to think there still out there somewhere.   
  • brianetz1brianetz1 Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭
    i could see how you would grow out of Macs, the regular product isn't much on flavors and is very mild.  i feel the same way when i smoke them which is generally why i don't smoke cigars of that ilk.  I would try something else that is mild but with a different flavor profile like a Crowned Heads 4 Kicks, AVO Classic, or a Arturo Futente Hemingway and see how you feel about those.  if you still feel like all you taste is nasty smoke then your palate doesn't enjoy cigars and there's not much you can do.
    I think one of the previous posters hit it on the head referring back to when the Mac's were made in Jamaica. I had my first one in the early nineties and that was it. I wanted to see what all the hype was about smoking a good cigar. I went to a cigar shop and bought about 10 different types. I went through them one at a time, if I didn't like it, I went to the next till I got to the Mac. To me, I hit the JACKPOT! What a flavor and the aroma my god. I like to gamble and play poker at the bar, both guys and gals would walk up to me all the time and ask, "ok, I have to ask what are you smoking it smells wonderful?" I would show them my tin of mac ascots and ask if they wanted one, they usually did. I would get that ALL the time. Now if I tried that people will get up and leave. I haven't had anyone ask what are you smoking in 10 years. I really don't think its MY palate. Lets face it, the Mac of old is gone for good just like a lot of other good cigars, thats not to say they aren't out there, but they are getting much harder to find.