Home Non Cigar Related

FishTank setup

CvilleECvilleE Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭
Anyone else have a fishtank? Just cleaning mine and was wondering if anyone does. Looking into different setups, since I need to redo mine..the filters I have aren't cutting it mainly due to noise. I have a 50 gallon tank, in which I rotate from a loud WhisperEX70 to two small Penguin BioWheel 150s. 

These are extremely loud, and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on a quieter and reliable filtration set up. 

Comments

• pennpenn Posts: 193 ✭✭✭
    Hey, Eric:  I haven't had an aquarium setup in a few years but I used both of those filters and they are actually some of the quietest I came across.  We had an aquarium up and running for over 10 years.  When the aquarium is full you can barely hear them run. It would aggravate my wife something fierce when she could hear the water from the filters hit the water in the tank.  It got to the point where I would take a pitcher and add water at least every other day to keep aquarium full.  I tried a mechanical/canister filter but the motor and pump in it was louder than the Charcoal filters.  They might work if you can enclose them in a cabinet but my setup was an old cast iron stand. 
  • jimmyv723jimmyv723 Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭
    Had a 10 gallon and two 5 gallons on each side with a Betta in each one for a couple years. I do have a 46 Gallon Bow Front tank that I never set up yet and also a 12 gallon long that isn't set up yet either. I know for the bigger tanks that are 50 and up some use the Canister Filters. You may want to look into that option for yours.
    Ken Light 3K MOW Badge - 8/14
    2015 Gang War - East Coast
    Enola Gay - Target #29

• CvilleECvilleE Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭
    Penn, I may have a bad motor then on the EX70..it's fairly new, maybe a few months on it total. It is terrible! Sooooo loud!

The dribble noise I get a lot from the bio filter..im wondering how an under gravel filter would do? 

Jimmy, you might be right..hoping to see if anyone here has used the canisters before...a little pricey, but since I keep a tank, might be the route to take.
  • jimmyv723jimmyv723 Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭
    Check out Fish Lore too that is a forum I was on when I had the fish and would get involved with again if I got my tanks set up. 
    Ken Light 3K MOW Badge - 8/14
    2015 Gang War - East Coast
    Enola Gay - Target #29

Thanks..I'll def check it out..
  • matkn293matkn293 Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a 55 gal with Africans that I have had for a while. I run 1 canister that has what I think a filstar xp (3 trays on the inside. Had it for 10 years and absolutely no issues to date and super quiet. Always go bigger than what you need. The canisters are nice as the HOB's are loud as they dump water. May have to get an air stone to infuse oxygen since you won't have surface agitation if you go this route. 

Life is too short to smoke bad cigars!!!

Oh when the Blues, Oh when the Blues, Oh when the Blues go marching in!

CvilleE said:
    Penn, I may have a bad motor then on the EX70..it's fairly new, maybe a few months on it total. It is terrible! Sooooo loud!

The dribble noise I get a lot from the bio filter..im wondering how an under gravel filter would do? 

Jimmy, you might be right..hoping to see if anyone here has used the canisters before...a little pricey, but since I keep a tank, might be the route to take.
    If you have a community tank the under gravel may work for a 50 gallon tank.   I put it in a setup of Red Bellies that fed on goldfish twice a week and it couldn't keep up.   I left it in with the biowheel and i didn't have to vacuum the gravel as much though.  
  • Dark_RoastDark_Roast Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭
    I have had 29 gal tall filled with tropical fresh water fish. A 55 gallon long filled with live rock and salt water fish. I even worked at a pet store with a 350 gallon salt water tank filled with a ton of live rock, corral and exotic salt water fish. Along with a multitude of small salt water and fresh water tanks. Each was individually filtered as the owner didn't believe in a mass filtration system sharing potential disease and mass annihilation.
    What did you end up going with???

I'm going to make the switch to use the canisters..just haven't done so yet until I move. Gonna have to strip the tank down and plan to get that going then...
    Moving tanks....FUN!!!!  Get a cooler and just put them in that with tank water,  Use a plastic bag to seal the cooler.  Don't use baggies if you don't have to.

Moving is tough - for both you and the fish. It totally stresses your fish.  @Dark_Roast isn't there an additive that can be added to the tank after the move to help the fish recover from the stress?  Good Luck!!!
    Thanks, and yeah I'll have some stress relief additives to help them out.  Got my big cooler ready, as I plan to keep as much of the water as I can...
    There is the blue pill that will help with that.  Also add some stress zyme in the water once back up to help with the slime coating on the fish.  As long as you don't shock them too much (water temp, etc) you should be fine.  Be mindful of the rock or sand as it fluctuates temp and holds it either warmer or colder pretty quickly.  Can play havoc with new location temps and may take some adjustment before you re-introduce the fish.

• LiquidChaos66LiquidChaos66 Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭✭
    Im picking up a small 5 gallon tank for a Betta and some Neon Tetras... Was gonna look into getting some small Ghost Shrimp... Anyone have experience with them?
    Life is like a blind fiver. You never know what you're gonna get.
  • johnnyBjohnnyB Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bettas and tetras don't mix well,unless you get a female betta. The females are smaller and less aggressive. 
    Non Crux sed lux
  • dirtdudedirtdude Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭✭✭
    matkn293 said:
    Moving tanks....FUN!!!!  Get a cooler and just put them in that with tank water,  Use a plastic bag to seal the cooler.  Don't use baggies if you don't have to.
    another use for a cooler, I have learned so much about cooler usage here
    A little dirt never hurt
    johnnyB said:
    Bettas and tetras don't mix well,unless you get a female betta. The females are smaller and less aggressive. 
    I thought they were ok together... Well then... Time to rethink that one. Lol no need for dead fish. 
  • johnnyBjohnnyB Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've found that any fish that has bright colors will draw out the bettas aggression . You could get a graumy and some tetras they play nice.
    Non Crux sed lux
    I am stuck between a Betta or a couple fantail goldfish... I think 5 gallons would be too much for a Betta alone... would like the tank to be well occupied. Time for some research. :)
  • Andrew_DzikoskiAndrew_Dzikoski Posts: 381 ✭✭✭
    I have 2 10gal, a 40, 55, 75 and the 180. go for the Sunsun can filters they are cheap and quiet.
    Go bigger than 5g. It is so much harder to keep the tank stable with the smaller tanks. Find a good deal on one @craiglist. There is always someone looking to get rid of one. Trust me. It's like a hunidor or a cooler. Bigger is always better in the long run.  

Hmmmmmmmmm the tank I received has MAJOR hard water and algae stains.... time for a vinegar soak....