Home General Discussion

Liga Privadas

GrouchoMGrouchoM Posts: 302 ✭✭✭
La Privadas, wth?

I've heard this brand mentioned a lot, even seen a few being smoked but no way did I ever realize it was that expensive. Somebody please enlighten me to why it cost so much? $18.50 per stick before taxes. 
The secret word is cigars! 

Comments

• Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    Depends on who your buying from but yeah they get pricy and for me I've never and will never smoke anything from DE! If you claim to have such great tobacco why "infuse" it?! But as a funny story I was at a b&m and the guy asked me if I tried the Herrera estelli...I said no I don't smoke anything DE...he asked me why for moral reasons and I laughed and said yup! **** Steve sake and JD they are nothing but hype and well I guess it's another hipster thing
    Money can't buy taste
  • Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    Oh also all the Logan's that I got through trades were actually sent to the troops for cfw! They can keep them
    Money can't buy taste
  • Dark_RoastDark_Roast Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭
    I bought a box years ago when first released. Not nearly that expensive then. Superb construction, favour, burn and value then. This was before they were "discovered" and I don't think they are worth that. But to each their own. For that price I think you can find Opus. Or ask for a trade. I am sure there are some on forum that could help you out. Just ask.  
  • WylaffWylaff Posts: 5,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would prefer Liga over Opus myself. They are good ROTT, but they go downhill fairly quickly. And no, they are not infused. I do not go and buy them though. Every one I've had has been bombed to me, and I've thoroughly enjoyed each. 
    "Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...
  • peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,315 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The No. 9's can be found for $10/11 if you are patient and know where to look. 

That's a strange outlook @Lee.mcglynn.... Not saying you're wrong... it just doesn't compute. 
    "I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • MikeToddMikeTodd Posts: 974 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like the Ligas but I prefer undercrowns if I'm smoking DE, my wallet prefers it too.
    @GrouchoM , evetually you will want to venture into higher end sticks. Once you do, well, you will be glad you did. I have two Opus set aside for my dad and I to have tomorrow as our first cigars in my new house. I can't wait. He has also never had a dirty rat and the B&M we are going to had them...he might be going home with one!
  • WylaffWylaff Posts: 5,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Isn't that like the penultimate hipster? Refusing to touch something because it's hipster?

"They suck now that they've gone all mainstream hipster..."
    "Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...
  • Usaf06Usaf06 Posts: 10,932 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you havent smoked a sobremesa from Saka you are missing out
    "I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
    -- Winston Churchill

"LET'S GO FRANCIS"     Peter

• peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,315 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Usaf06 said:
    If you havent smoked a sobremesa from Saka you are missing out
    Exactly.... To say Saka is nothing but hype because he was at a company that sold infused sticks is odd. 
    "I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • GrouchoMGrouchoM Posts: 302 ✭✭✭
    No, please don't be mislead as to my post inferring I'm trying to purchase or try. I'm a newb that just walked past a mazerati with the price tag still in the window and wondered what's all the hype about. My post is just out of being uninformed and knowing you guys actually have much more of a clue to the whys, instead of the bs.

• PatrickbrickPatrickbrick Posts: 7,722 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In my opinion the only way to find out if a cigar is worth the price tag is to try one.  I have sticks that I saw the price, said damn that is way to much for ten; tried one to find out whats up with it, then ended up buying a box.  It all comes down to personal preference.  I do like the 9, T52, ratzilla, feral flying pig, under crown and dirty rats from DE, to me they work, for others they may not. 
    "We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give".  Winston Churchill.
    MOW badge received.
  • 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So here is where you have to decide for yourself if it's worth it.
    Personally, there are others in that price range, I find myself more attracted to. 
    Padron Family Reserve Natural, God of Fire and Viaje Skull and Bones can all be had around that price and to me, are far better.

To some, the LP is worth the price and there is nothing wrong with that.
    You have to decide what it's worth to you. 
    I've paid considerably more for cigars that I consider "unicorn cigars".
    And it was totally worth it to me, even though a few turned out to be not so great.  B)
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • AlbinfkAlbinfk Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I bought my first single Liga 9 last week at my local B&M and was pricey but had to know what all the hype was about. Still haven't tried it because I was going to let it rest but your saying it is good ROTT? I paid more to try some  Padron 1926 Maduros and they were worth it.
  • jarublajarubla Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Albinfk said:
    I bought my first single Liga 9 last week at my local B&M and was pricey but had to know what all the hype was about. Still haven't tried it because I was going to let it rest but your saying it is good ROTT? I paid more to try some  Padron 1926 Maduros and they were worth it.
    Smoke it, Al. It is good to go
    “There’ll be two dates on your tombstone and all your friends will read ’em but all that’s gonna matter is that little dash between ’em.” -Kevin Welch
  • jarublajarubla Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭✭✭
    DZR = Dexter
    “There’ll be two dates on your tombstone and all your friends will read ’em but all that’s gonna matter is that little dash between ’em.” -Kevin Welch
  • AlbinfkAlbinfk Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Think DZR is a surgeon.
  • Dark_RoastDark_Roast Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭
    They all cut the same 

That tobacco looks beautiful. Daniel - Thanks for your deconstruction point of view. 
  • GrouchoMGrouchoM Posts: 302 ✭✭✭
    Nope, Dexter is the clear winner. 

Ok. I guess I'm past my initial sticker shock regarding Ligas. So, since I opened this Pandora's box. What's the deal with Opus cigars? Everybody talks about them like they're all that, but while I hear about a brother or two that smoke them, they, also seem like a specialty once every blue moon celebratory cigar (except for DZR, sorry Dexter).  

What other ultra premium cigars am I missing that retail for say $16+ can you guys name that are in people regular rotation? 

I'm just trying to address my ignorance on ultra premium cigars and to not act so brand new when I eventually see what they sell for.
  • Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    jarubla said:
    Albinfk said:
    Smoke it, Al. It is good to go
    Yes, smoke anything you buy from your B&M as soon as you are ready to fire it up. The only reason to let B&M purchases rest is if you accidentally let them get overheated in the car ride home. 

And, my opinion of the LP9? Goooood. Worth the money? Not quite worth what they charge for singles but OK if you're willing to splurge.

• kswildcatkswildcat Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Padron 1926 anniversary. ... yum yum yum
  • PatrickbrickPatrickbrick Posts: 7,722 ✭✭✭✭✭
    La Palina family series, Goldie's, and 1502XO.  I hear Davidoff are also popular.
    "We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give".  Winston Churchill.
    MOW badge received.
  • Rail_JockeyRail_Jockey Posts: 805 ✭✭✭
    I like several of the liga's actually all of them except the T52. Probably dirty rats and 9'a are my favorite. Have several 9'a a box of pigs and ratzillas several 4's and 13's. Love them all. They are pricy but I like them.