Home Cigar 101

What's similar to Ashton?

Cigar-725004Cigar-725004 Posts: 10
My brother and I want to buy a box of cigars for my dad this Father's Day.  He usually only buys a few at a time and stores them in his humidor.  He smokes a variety of cigars but the only one we know for sure that he likes are the Imported Ashton's.  He has enjoyed medium sized up to as big as Churchill.  

Would anyone here be able to please offer recommendations as to other cigars he may enjoy?   If there are many options we will likely get just a few of each and not buy a whole box of one kind.  

Thank You in advance for your help.  

Comments

• 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2016
    If you call cigar.com and talk to one of the reps, I'm sure they can come up with a sampler package that will meet what your dad might like.
    They can give you ideas as to what is comparable to Ashton or even a sampler that has his favorite Ashtons, along with ones they think he might like.

That being said, like @miller65rod said, Hemmingways are great cigars.
    Look at Fuente cigars, My Father cigars, Torano cigars, Ava Maria cigars and AVO cigars as possible ones he might like.

The problem is, most folks have tastes that vary, so what one person thinks is similar may not be what another person will like.
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ^^^^What Tony said. It's sorta like trying to buy shoes for someone else.....   :p
  • Cigar-725004Cigar-725004 Posts: 10
    Thank you for ideas all
    @0patience does cigar.com offer online chat or email for assistance or only telephone?
    thanks 
  • dirtdudedirtdude Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There is an Ashton event at a local B&M at the end of the month, just checking the website it looks like a black tie affair but I don't have a black tie. Is it ok to ride into these events in blue jeans and engineer boots or better to just stay away?
    A little dirt never hurt
    @0patience does cigar.com offer online chat or email for assistance or only telephone?
    thanks 
    They offer email assistance.throught the form on the Contact Us page, link up above.
    You could probably email them direct customerservie@cigar.com

But calling them is probably the best results.
    In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
    dirtdude said:
    There is an Ashton event at a local B&M at the end of the month, just checking the website it looks like a black tie affair but I don't have a black tie. Is it ok to ride into these events in blue jeans and engineer boots or better to just stay away?
    I vote for engineer boots  
  • kswildcatkswildcat Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭✭✭
    dirtdude said:
    Randy although I get funny looks I have yet to be kicked out of a joint. 

I haven't been to an event but I asked about an event the last time I was at the closest b&m to home. Although the guy wasn't for sure about me at first he talked like it would be great to have me attend one. Not quite sure if he was just being nice or if having to ask a person to help bag my $500 purchase that put him at ease.
  • Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    I'll go in my work clothes that smell like oil and are not the cleanest things...if the owner of the company is there they actually will talk to you and thank you for smoke the brand. All walks of life walk through the poor the rich and in between. I've found that a good owner will be humbled just at the fact you like the cigars they make and no matter how you look or how much you make you support them! I tend to get a lot of crap from owners of the store and mostly the staff since I look like a complete novice. But once I actually talk to them they leave me alone and let me do my business in peace. So go as you want and f the rest that look down on you since they probably suck at and in life
    Money can't buy taste
  • Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    Oh one other thing Ashton's are made buy fuente so buy something fuente
    Money can't buy taste
  • GuitardedGuitarded Posts: 4,643 ✭✭✭✭✭
    How about wearing a black leather bolo?? They did not say what kind of black tie. image
    Friends don't let good friends smoke cheap cigars.
    thanks for the advice, think I'll check it out.

sorry about the thread jack @Cigar725004 , might know more about Ashton in a couple weeks
    A little dirt never hurt
    dirtdude said:
    thanks for the advice, think I'll check it out.

sorry about the thread jack @Cigar725004 , might know more about Ashton in a couple weeks
    Not a problem.  I'm here to learn 
    you are at the right place bro
    A little dirt never hurt
    dirtdude said:
    you are at the right place bro
    While I enjoy a cigar my friend offers me at a cookout or golfing, I know little to nothing about how they are different or how my experiences should vary with different cigars.   How do you suggest someone starts learning? Or can you offer a link/post?
    While I enjoy a cigar my friend offers me at a cookout or golfing, I know little to nothing about how they are different or how my experiences should vary with different cigars.   How do you suggest someone starts learning? Or can you offer a link/post?
    Read as much as you can and don't take anything as gospel.
    There is a lot of information on this forum.
    The problem is that each person's tastes are different, so all you can go on is how to go about finding what you like.

Then it's all about trying different things and seeing what you like.

Check this link for some links to some light reading. LOL!

In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
    what he said^^^^^^^^^
    A little dirt never hurt
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hemingway Signature Maduro or Natural. Always a classic and a great smoke. Deals are online as well. 

Can't go wrong like this.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain