Home General Discussion

Here's a curious thing...

jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
Here's a curious thing. I bought a fiver of Gurkha Park Avenue torpedos a while back. I know, I know, - they're Gurkhas. But the only reason I buy them is that I learned the Park Avenue was blended by AJ. That, plus they're a mild smoke for when I'm in the mood for one. 

Anyway, the curious part is - ya know how when you go to open a cello and remove the cigar - usually about an inch or so of the end of the cello is folded back. Sometimes the folded end is held in place with a sticky-label and sometimes nothing holds it. 

So, what's it mean when the folded portion of the cello on each cigar in the fiver has been cut off (kinda sloppily) with scissors?  Have any of you run into this before?  It isn't the first time I've noticed it but it's not a frequent thing, either. 

Just curious. It's not a big deal....

Comments

• Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is odd. I remember seeing that before on one or two but never five at once. 

• genareddoggenareddog Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Those may have been from me. I apologize but when I first started buying some I had read that some people cut the celo to let them breathe. 
  • jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Those may have been from me. I apologize but when I first started buying some I had read that some people cut the celo to let them breathe. 
    Ah, maybe that's where I got them. No apology necessary, my friend. I should mark cigars with the date and source when I get them and I wouldn't always be in the dark. Just too lazy, I guess. 

Anyway, I thought maybe a retailer had cut off a sale price or something. I've only seen this a couple times and was curious as to the meaning. As I said, it's no big deal. Thanks for your input, though.  
  • reggie713reggie713 Posts: 2,517 ✭✭✭✭
    I use to cut the cello flush with the end of the cigar also
  • jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    reggie713 said:
    I use to cut the cello flush with the end of the cigar also
    To open it a bit so it could breathe?  It's not a bad idea, really. It would still afford some protection to the cigar against handling...
  • cbuckcbuck Posts: 8,413 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fear is a strong word, and if it came down to it, I would do what I want anyway, but I choose my battles wisely most of the time ! @Usaf06
  • cbuckcbuck Posts: 8,413 ✭✭✭✭✭
    And who you calling old! Lol
  • webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think you sent me some like that when I won the lottery ... was that you?
    “It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• genareddoggenareddog Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭✭✭
    webmost said:
    I think you sent me some like that when I won the lottery ... was that you?

Probably. I don't cut them anymore but I did at first.
  • Usaf06Usaf06 Posts: 10,932 ✭✭✭✭✭
    cbuck said:
    And who you calling old! Lol
    that was a general statement about men, not specifically you
    "I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
    -- Winston Churchill

"LET'S GO FRANCIS"     Peter