Home General Discussion

Cigar app

genareddoggenareddog Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭✭✭
Does anyone know of an app. where you can possible take a picture of what your smoking and then the app tells you what it is and gives a review? Just thought it might save some time rather than thumbing through the magazines.

Comments

• jgkaminjgkamin Posts: 110 ✭✭
    Cigar Scanner
  • YaksterYakster Posts: 25,527 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I found that app a few weeks ago, but the few times I've tried it-on boutique cigars-they haven't been in the database. I think they're focusing on the old school cigars right now. 
    I'll gladly bomb you Tuesday for an Opus today. 

Join us on the New Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • AlbinfkAlbinfk Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is it free?
    Yes, it's free. 

• webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    jgkamin said:
    Cigar Scanner
    Installed.
    Thanks.

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I installed it as well but, so far, the jury is still way, way out. What little browsing I've done so far has turned up an item or three that will require more research before I comment. It looks, however, like the app developer has gotten some unreliable input relative to the area where I live and, if I'm right, he'll need to be informed of it. 

i'll keep you posted.... 
  • webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    jlmarta said:
    I installed it as well but, so far, the jury is still way, way out. What little browsing I've done so far has turned up an item or three that will require more research before I comment. It looks, however, like the app developer has gotten some unreliable input relative to the area where I live and, if I'm right, he'll need to be informed of it. 

i'll keep you posted.... 
    Only 50 miles from paradise, as I understand it.

There are databases relating IP numbers to locations. Prob is, the location is apt to be some server farm ... not where you are. That trick you see on TV programs where someone goes lickettyclickettyclick click "The perp is in apartment 3B at 2012 Avenue X! Let's go!" ... cut to swat team storming the apartment... that's just pretend. My IP always locates me somewhere halfway up in Zoo Jersey.
    “It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

webmost said:
    jlmarta said:

i'll keep you posted.... 

There are databases relating IP numbers to locations. Prob is, the location is apt to be some server farm ... not where you are. That trick you see on TV programs where someone goes lickettyclickettyclick click "The perp is in apartment 3B at 2012 Avenue X! Let's go!" ... cut to swat team storming the apartment... that's just pretend. My IP always locates me somewhere halfway up in Zoo Jersey.
    Yeah, if you look on the map, Paradise, CA is roughly 50 miles north and slightly east of me....

Anyway, the app shows 3 cigar shops in my area. The last time I looked there were only 2 and they were primarily head shops and/or vape shops. They had a dinky little humi kept at about 90% RH with maybe 6 or 8 overpriced handmade cigars in stock. 

Judging by the name of the third one I'd have to guess that it's of the same variety as the first two. I'll check all of them out to verify what my memory is telling me. 

If I'm right, I'll let the app developer know my findings, express the fact that I resent places like that being called 'cigar shops', and let him do what he will with the info. At least I will have tried. 

• kswildcatkswildcat Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭✭✭
    jlmarta said:
    webmost said:
    jlmarta said:

i'll keep you posted.... 

Yeah, if you look on the map, Paradise, CA is roughly 50 miles north and slightly east of me....

Anyway, the app shows 3 cigar shops in my area. The last time I looked there were only 2 and they were primarily head shops and/or vape shops. They had a dinky little humi kept at about 90% RH with maybe 6 or 8 overpriced handmade cigars in stock. 

Judging by the name of the third one I'd have to guess that it's of the same variety as the first two. I'll check all of them out to verify what my memory is telling me. 

If I'm right, I'll let the app developer know my findings, express the fact that I resent places like that being called 'cigar shops', and let him do what he will with the info. At least I will have tried. 

I run into those vape shops a lot Marty.. I've resorted to calling them to get an idea what they have in stock before I try to hunt them down. Depending how smart the person on the phone seems I will ask if there is anyplace close I can park a truck and trailer or bobtail. Some have no idea of their surroundings and only know 1 way to get to work.
    Well, I just visited all three and it's just like I suspected. 

The new one is huge compared to the other two but their humi is only about 5'x5' or so. They have a few name brands but roughly half or more is a brand I never heard of. 

Anyway, to make a long story short, there is still no place anywhere within 40 miles that I'd buy cigars from. Oh, well....  
  • VisionVision Posts: 7,764 ✭✭✭✭✭

Anyone using anything new?

• CAcigarguy007CAcigarguy007 Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2021

@Yakster said:
    I found that app a few weeks ago, but the few times I've tried it-on boutique cigars-they haven't been in the database. I think they're focusing on the old school cigars right now. 

It will be tough for some of the boutique cigars to be cataloged since a lot of them refuse to disclose their components for fear that people will figure out that their blends aren't all that special and that there are plenty of other contracted labels that are similar.

It used to be that the majority of cigars listed exactly what was in them. Mystery cigars were few and far between. Now it's become a marketing hype selling point as if them not telling you makes it more secretive or exclusive. Lol. I call those the new skool "bands, boxes, and backstories boutique bouji blends". More about marketing/branding/flash.

• VegasFrankVegasFrank Posts: 16,586 ✭✭✭✭✭

Define "exactly what was in them." Most companies list type and country of origin for the wrapper, type or country of origin for the binder, and mostly just country of origin for the filler. Is that good enough? do you want more detail like which part of the plant and which farm and what way it was rolled and in what order the tobacco was blended together?

Viaje May use it as a marketing tool, but I think that most of the other companies give pretty consistent information across the industry, more or less.

I think that this is strategic but not from the secretive point of view. I don't think that companies not named selected tobacco (who produces atabay with obviously Cuban tobacco) don't really care about the secret. I think that most of them think that they have the best tobacco and that they have a high quality product and that they're not worried about somebody replicating a blend. I bet most companies don't think that another manufacturer could replicate their blend even if they had the exact recipe.

I think that it is for consistency purposes. Example, when MF created the DPG Blue, they wanted to be able to repeat that thing and have last year's taste like this year's and have both of those taste like next year's. In order to repeat that blend for consistency, they may use a viso from Esteli one year in the filler but then substitute it for a sicko from jalapa the next year in order to keep the profile the same. That's a drastic example and I'm sure that that particular example doesn't exist, but subtle differences from different parts of the plant or different parts of the farm very relevantly happen.

So if they gave you the exact secret formula of a Viso from one region and a lijero from another region, then it'd be stuck with that formula when environmental conditions, growing seasons, and tobacco quality differ in the following years. The result of that mess would be cigars with the same band That would have a wild variance from year to year. You couldn't build brand loyalty that way.

Just a thought.

Don't look ↑
  • VegasFrankVegasFrank Posts: 16,586 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cigar scanner is pretty good nowadays by the way. You take a picture, crop it with their tool, and it'll pick your cigar out for you. There's a lot of boutique stuff in there nowadays. Not ultra boutique like nomad unicorn sperm or cigar federation fairy milk or anything, but plenty of tat, viaje, Off the wall crown head, limited and annual release stuff, etc.

Don't look ↑
  • Trykflyr_1Trykflyr_1 Posts: 2,500 ✭✭✭✭✭

I installed that a while back and found it was easier and faster to just bing or google the cigar brand & name to gind put anything about it. Rarely used it so I dumped it. Same with the Untapped app for beer. It just took up space.

I'm still troubled by what I did for that Klondike bar...

Same, I unplugged Untappd and my cigar apps. I even uninstalled Instagram on my personal phone since it is a potato camera.

• VisionVision Posts: 7,764 ✭✭✭✭✭

Notes it is.