Home Cigar 101

Bitter box

2»

Comments

• webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The helll's wrong with bowling? Bowling, volleyball, croquet, badminton are all games any one any age any skill can have fun at. They're social games, like flag football in the yard on Thanksgiving. You do your oldster best and the eight year old does his best and the 22 year old tones it down, and then you go eat punkin pie.

Jeez. Haven't been bowling in ages. Ought to take the grand-daughter.
    “It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• genareddoggenareddog Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Never smoke ROTT anymore. I was just telling one of our botl that I am sure glad that I can now smoke some rested cigars. Huge difference in my opinion. I put my cooler in my cloths closet. My wife, even though she thinks I am an idiot, not only has gotten used to this new hobby of mine but she is actually glad that I can enjoy it as much as I do. She still thinks I'm an idiot though.
  • AlbinfkAlbinfk Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks @miller65rod. I've been very upfront with the wife which explains why she's pissed off all the time. She is slowly getting cool with it and knows I'm not giving in on this one. I'm showing her all the fun and expert advise I'm getting from all of you and she is liking it. Of course I'm not showing her your Bum thread! Like you said give it some time and let her shop till she drops.
  • Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    In cooler monthes smoking rott is at its best but in hot monthes I always think you can't judge till atleast 3 monthes of humi time. Don't get me wrong I love trying stuff rott but usually I'm well disappointed. I feel certain stuff needs years and other stuff a couple monthes...but like has been said to each they own. And well for the hard to age trust me it gets really easy once you start to hoard!! I never thought I could age stuff but now I've found I have so much I can't keep up with smoking them. Granted I only get maybe 4 in a week but let's see,I'm running 2 wineadors &3 48qt coolers and have boxes with gallon ziplock bags all over. Once you really get a good set up you'll be smooth sailing
    Money can't buy taste
  • CrisiusCrisius Posts: 414 ✭✭✭
    @miller65rod I'm not suggesting anyone hide their purchases from their respective partner. But sometimes it's hard to explain. Any time she gives me a look though I go, "Hey, you bought me the humidor. You pushed this interest to addiction level." But I agree, honesty goes a long ways.

As far as smoking "Right Off the Truck" goes, I don't seem to mind it. As I said, I got a 10 count box of Cult's and the longer they sat in the Humi (at 65%) the notes became more blended and not in a good way. I like to distinguish between flavors and have them be their own resounding note, not be some muddled mess because it's sat too long. Though I have had a few well aged cigars I have liked, I find most ROTT cigars to my liking.
  • miller65rodmiller65rod Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It easier to ask for forgiveness in front her while opening a box then it is to hide it. Once that happens you get to answer ?'s for life about anything in the mail etc.

Rott is ok at times for me but I experiment and I can taste a difference and in the burn of some. There is no wrong or right way IMO. It's what you find enjoyable most of all. Thats why we smoke them.

Free Cuba
    "I ain't got no Opus's"
    LLA
    - Lancero Lovers of America
    2016 Gang War (South)
    May I assss u a ?

• 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2016
    She still thinks I'm an idiot though.
    After the decades that my wife has been by my side, she still calls me a dork. So that thought in their heads will never disappear.
    And to be honest, sometimes it's just as much fun to not diappoint them. A lot of times, it makes them smile too.
     :hushed:

Oh yeah, ROTT.
    I think Lee hit on a good point. I've found that a lot of problems I've had with right off the truck have been during warmer weather and it was obvious, because the cigars felt mushier. Is that a word? :wink:
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • CrisiusCrisius Posts: 414 ✭✭✭
    0patience said:
     I've found that a lot of problems I've had with right off the truck have been during warmer weather and it was obvious, because the cigars felt mushier. Is that a word? :wink:
    I actually like when a cigar has a squishier feel to it, it smokes better IMO. I also am able to pick up more flavors.
  • LakadianLakadian Posts: 9
    Cult Profile - can't say anything good about it.  I thought it was going to be a good smoke since all the hype about a cellophane wrapper changing color is a good thing.  Well, it wasn't.  Toasted it up, just like I learned, got it going and nothing but hard ash taste, and something strong like pepper.  I don't mind the pepper taste, but man - this was so bad that it didn't have a pleasant aroma, too.  Please tell me this happens to other people?
  • WylaffWylaff Posts: 5,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lakadian said:
    Cult Profile - can't say anything good about it.  I thought it was going to be a good smoke since all the hype about a cellophane wrapper changing color is a good thing.  Well, it wasn't.  Toasted it up, just like I learned, got it going and nothing but hard ash taste, and something strong like pepper.  I don't mind the pepper taste, but man - this was so bad that it didn't have a pleasant aroma, too.  Please tell me this happens to other people?
    All the age in the world won't fix a dog rocket. Also if you're running a bit to low on humidity ou will tend to taste a lot of burnt ash.
    "Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...
  • EchambersEchambers Posts: 4,178 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The funniest thing in this whole thread is that @Edna20 bowls.
    -- "There's something that doesn't make sense. Let's go poke it with a stick."
    Edna20 said:
    I'm pretty good at it too :smile: I want to open a bowling alley with a nice walk-in humi and a great bourbon selection. Maybe we could even distill our own on site. There is a big barn for sale up the road....I've been formulating plans for it. 
    Hey, I might be out that way in March or April -- you and the Mr. ought to meet me at Shelly's unless you have other recommendations.

Eric
  • Edna20Edna20 Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭✭✭
    K, PM to ya!
    Team O'Donnell FTW!
    ..and sorry about hijacking the thread....i have no manners.