Home Non Cigar Related

Orchard anyone?

MikeToddMikeTodd Posts: 974 ✭✭✭✭✭
We officially have our Orchard started! Two Honeycrisp apple trees, one Golden Delicious apple tree and two Peach trees. I can't wait for these to start fully producing in a few years. My wife makes peach jam, applesauce and apple pies that are so good they will make a hound dog howl!

Comments

• dirtdudedirtdude Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭✭✭
    you are getting set up

A little dirt never hurt
  • YaksterYakster Posts: 25,530 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Any plans for Apple jack? :)
    I'll gladly bomb you Tuesday for an Opus today. 

Join us on the New Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • MartelMartel Posts: 3,306 ✭✭✭✭
    I'm just outside spitting distance from a you-pick orchard.  It gets expensive during cherry, strawberry, and blueberry season.  I'll let them pick my apples and peaches, though.
    Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

I like Oliva and Quesada (including Regius) a lot.  I will smoke anything, though.
  • MikeToddMikeTodd Posts: 974 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yakster said:
    Any plans for Apple jack? :)
    I am going to dabble in hard cider this year so I know that will be on the list. Might have to look into Apple Jack as well.

We are also going to be planting blackberries, raspberries, red and white seedless grapes this week!
  • silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,048 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congratulations, Mike. Nothing nicer than growing your own food and a tree ripened peach is a beautiful thing,
  • 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is one thing I miss about our old place. 
    5 apple trees that were about 40 years old, a cherry tree and tons of raspberry and blueberry plants.
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • WaterNerdWaterNerd Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yea the trees are going to take a while but plant a few raspberry and blueberry plants now and next year your going to have a ton! I Planted 5 Raspberry plants last year and they did ok, but this year its like they are trying to take over the garden! Love vine ripe raspberries :)

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt
    — Abraham Lincoln

• peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,319 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice!  Good thing you had some heavy equipment to make the job easier, Mike!
    "I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • kswildcatkswildcat Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭✭✭
    peter4jc said:
    Nice!  Good thing you had some heavy equipment to make the job easier, Mike!
    Good stuff. What I was thinking.  Not surprised you mentioned it..lol...

Looking good Mikey.. That home will bring your family many yrs of joy.
  • jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yep. Good on you, my friend. That's gonna be a nice looking place when the trees and stuff get grown.... 

Not that it's not nice now. I didn't mean it that way...  :p