Home General Discussion

What Would You Pay For (In a Lounge)?

HaysHays Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭
edited May 2016 in General Discussion
Ok ladies and gents, I got to connect with good buddy Jeff Dorais this evening, and an interesting point came up in our conversation regarding cigar lounges. (For the sake of this conversation, we're discussing comfortable lounges with nice chairs, drinks, comfy amenities in general). Also, let's assume that, in order to enjoy a B&M's lounge, you must pay a fee.

I maintain that a lounge that I'm paying a monthly or annual fee for should allow me to bring my own cigars - or at the least, that I would gladly pay a higher monthly fee for a place that allowed this. I'm curious of the general opinion though, so give me your thoughts.

(For the record, I'd obviously still buy cigars from the lounge, but to me, having that restriction is a breaking point.)
¨The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears, or the sea¨ - Isak Dinesen

¨Only two people walk around in this world beardless - boys and women - and I am neither one.¨

What Would You Pay For (In a Lounge)? 26 votes

I would pay a lounge fee, but I'm ok having to smoke only store-bought cigars.
7%
YankeeManLiquidChaos66 2 votes
I would pay a higher fee (than option 1), given the flexibility to bring my own cigars.
42%
Hays0patienceRail_Jockeybrianetz1rsherman24CharlieHeisPuff_Dougiematkn293avengethisChazMNRevWhiteWolf 11 votes
I would not pay a fee for a lounge, regardless of their policies.
50%
jgibv[Deleted User]RhamlinwebmostWaltBasilUsaf06CrisiusskydiverDDevildog1MikeToddYaksterGrouchoMAlbinfk 13 votes

Comments

• matkn293matkn293 Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would pay a higher fee (than option 1), given the flexibility to bring my own cigars.

If I am paying a fee to be a "member" of said lounge, Then I would need to be able to bring my own cigars in.  I am not going to pay a fee and then be required to smoke their cigars unless they can prove to me that there is not a huge markup on what I am buying.  That would equate to paying for the same thing twice.  I fully understand their need to make money or the lounge would not be there for my enjoyment. 

Having said all of this I am not looking at say a fee of $5 a mth.  When I think of fee I think of like $50 a month or something like that.  I guess it is all relative to the business model and how they present it. 

Life is too short to smoke bad cigars!!!

Oh when the Blues, Oh when the Blues, Oh when the Blues go marching in!

• AlbinfkAlbinfk Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I went to the Carnegie Cigar lounge in NYC a few months ago with my son. Classy place. Paid $45 for an Ashton classic. You could bring your own cigar but there was a $25 cutting charge. Needles to say nice place to visit.
  • Usaf06Usaf06 Posts: 10,932 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wouldn't pay a lounge fee and I wouldn't bring my own cigars to the lounge. I would pay for a private locker. 
    "I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
    -- Winston Churchill

"LET'S GO FRANCIS"     Peter

• 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have paid a fee to use the lounge and have paid a cutting fee to smoke my own cigars. 

But I have also been to a lounge that waived the fee if you bought 3 or more cigars from them.

I can't see paying too much to use a lounge. 
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • MikeToddMikeTodd Posts: 974 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The lounge I have been to (the only nice one in the area) is free. They have a HUGE selection including DPG, Dirty Rats, Monsters, Opus X and the like at very reasonable rates. The chairs are leather and very comfortable, they have craft beer and wine for purchase. Bottles water is free and they offer some snacks (the night I was there they had Cuban Sandwiches) that were complimentary as well if you were smoking.
    They charge a $10 cutting fee per cigar if you bring your own and they offer humidified lockers for rent.
    Their selection of Cigars is the largest in the area and I got a chance to talk with the owner some. Basically a $10 stick online runs about $11.50-$12 in his lounge unless it is a limited edition.
    He wants to create a comfortable atmosphere that people will come back to.
    They are only using about 1/3 of the available space right now and phase 2 includes a member VIP lounge, resturant and a full bar. 
    Needless to say, i am willing to drive the 40 minutes there and buy a few sticks to meet up with a buddy and enjoy a nice smoke.
  • YankeeManYankeeMan Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would pay a lounge fee, but I'm ok having to smoke only store-bought cigars.
    I voted for the lower fee, but I would not strongly object to paying more to bring my own cigars.  The lounge I go to is about one hour away from me, so it is not really convenient, but it is very comfortable, there is no fee and I always need more cigars, so buying there is not problem.
  • WylaffWylaff Posts: 5,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My local has no fee, but does not allow outside cigars. If I were paying any form of fee, be it membership or locker rental, I would expect to bring whatever I want.
    "Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...
  • NolagizmoNolagizmo Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No fees in the Big Easy. 
    "Come party with me in Tennessee for my birthday July we can smoke in the Smokey's."
  • HaysHays Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭
    I appreciate all the responses guys; in regards to @jgibv , I would say that yes, there's generally added perks to membership-based lounges - such as free drinks, special events, discounts on cigars, etc. That was, at least, intended to be a given in my initial post, though I could've definitely clarified that.

In general, I know that many B&Ms have great in-house lounges, and it's pretty hard to compete with free. The first lounge I hung out at when I was getting started in cigars had an amazing space with comfy leather chairs and sofas and free drinks. Only thing is, that place is out in a small town that's now about 45min from me. Now I'm downtown in the city, and the lounge here is the one that has a fee (and specifically bars outside cigars). My opinion is that, short of a free option in close proximity, I would gladly pay a membership in a nearby lounge given that I could bring my own cigars - also, if the paid lounge was significantly nicer or better-equipped than a free lounge, that would weight heavily in my opinion.

I think of it like this, really: I can buy cigars online (and get excellent prices), but I cannot replicate the very real environment of a comfortable space where I can enjoy my cigars, socialize with other BOTLs, enjoy fine drinks, etc. I picture that place more like a social club than a "traditional" lounge, necessarily, because I think we have a need in modern society to encourage more in-person, interpersonal interaction.
    ¨The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears, or the sea¨ - Isak Dinesen

¨Only two people walk around in this world beardless - boys and women - and I am neither one.¨
  • avengethisavengethis Posts: 5,686 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My B&M allows you to bring your own and I am there enough and know everybody that it is never an issue.  If it was my first time and just walked in with my own and didnt buy anything then its a problem.  Whenever I go I am purchasing something either cigars from their humi or libations of some sort.  

I would be open to paying a monthly/yearly fee if they had a membership that included some perks.  I don't feel a place should charge just to come in especially if you are buying product from them.
    Team O'Donnell FTW!

"I've got a great cigar collection - it's actually not a collection, because that would imply I wasn't going to smoke ever last one of 'em." - Ron White
  • YaksterYakster Posts: 25,527 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2016
    I voted that I would not pay a fee primarily because I'd rather smoke at home, but I could see joining a lounge if I couldn't smoke at home or if I lived somewhere with more extreme weather conditions.

My local B&M has a pretty relaxed atmosphere and I've heard that you can bring in your own cigars.  They have comfortable seating in the store and outside with a fire pit but also have a private lounge available, but I don't know the details on that.  It used to be a Rocky Patel lounge but has switched to an Espinosa lounge, an improvement in my opinion.  They may or may not have lockers, I haven't specifically asked about membership and didn't notice any details on the website when I've checked.  Their website is in need of updates.

I guess living in Califronia has me spoiled, though, because I feel pretty comfortable smoking on the back patio.  If the weather were worse I'd probably be tempted to visit the B&M for more than just shopping.  I did escape to the B&M one night when my Wife and daugher were getting into it and found it a nice refuge, they were streaming videos from someone's phone on the TV.  Also when I've gone there for events or meet-ups it's been cool to hang out and meet folks, but again the back porch and vHerf is pretty comfortable too.
    I'll gladly bomb you Tuesday for an Opus today. 

Join us on the New Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    For me, the trouble with lounges is the stale smoke trapped in a closed space. I would pay extra for some fresh air. I don't even know exactly how you could  accomplish this during the hottest and coldest parts of the year but I can dream. Right? 
  • Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    The couple pay lounges around me are pretty good and one great! I'm not a member since I don't need 24/7 access but it's a pretty sweet deal! You pay $200 a month but they put $200 on a card for you to spend at the shop...on top of that you get 10% off any cigars you get from them and you can bring your own. Plus you get a locker humidor and well the 24/7 access as well. It's a great deal IMO but I only go there to meet a select few people so it's not worth it to me. The other lounge I usually always go to is well free and I can bring my own cigar. This is only because I'm the best non paid employee and every now and again I grab lunch for everyone. But yeah I know everything about the store besides the register and I'm sure they want to teach me that! So would I pay a lounge fee...yes if I had to but if it cost extra to smoke cigars not from them then no! The lounge fee is to use the lounge as far as I'm concerned...I might be wrong but charging extra to use it and it buy from them well that's not a lounge fee
    Money can't buy taste
  • CrisiusCrisius Posts: 414 ✭✭✭
    I'm in western WA  state. It rains here more than we get sunshine. Even on days where it is pouring, I am never against sitting on the trunk of my car (little Honda Del Sol and that thing is flat) with a bottle of Guinness and smoking outside. I've only been to one place that was probably the "chillest" environment I have ever been in and that was West Coast Cigars there in San Jose, CA. And it was free, though I did buy a bunch of cigars while there.

I would not pay unless I had a darned good reason. Cigars already cost a pretty penny in most shops, here in WA there is a 90% tax on tobacco products so it would have to have some amazing amenities for me to consider paying above that as it stands. Though if it was for like some big CCom forums gathering and we were renting out a lounge somewhere, I'd chip in for that. (That counts as a good reason, fyi.)
  • bigfnstevebigfnsteve Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭
    So I pay 300 bucks a year for a locker, access to VIP room, discounts of cigars/accessories in addition to other benefits. 

My shop allows folks to bring in their own sticks without a cutting fee. 

Would I go to a B&M with a minimum purchase/cutting fee? Hell yes I would. If folks would follow some basic etiquette they wouldn't have to enforce those fees.

Do I ever smoke in a lounge and not purchase a stick? NOPE. If I am going to take up a seat then I am returning the favor.  

Showing up with the cigars you purchased online and not purchasing something from the establishment is bad form. Stay home. I have no qualms calling people out about this one either. Most of the time its simply a lack of awareness and understanding. 

I've been fortunate to meet good people and subsequently do some pretty awesome things inside and out of the cigar world because of my patronage. 
  • 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Since we're on this subject, it seems that some areas (Salem, OR) have some regulations about allowing food or drink in cigar lounges.

Has anyone seen this or heard of it?
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
    California doesn't seem to have these regs, West Coast Cigar in San Jose encourages BYOB, Ohlone in Fremont allows it AFAIK, and Morgan Hill Cigar Lounge serves beer and wine so they probably don't allow it. 

• dirtdudedirtdude Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭✭✭
    oh a cigar lounge, wrong thread
    A little dirt never hurt
  • kswildcatkswildcat Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm pretty anti social.  I don't like being around a lot of people. When I buy from a b&m with a lounge I buy to take home. Add in I'm usually always in a hurry. 

Meeting you folks would be different.  
    Ohlone recently put up a sign that the lounge is reserved for smoking cigars purchased from them, makes sense, they've got to make a buck. 

• Usaf06Usaf06 Posts: 10,932 ✭✭✭✭✭
    kswildcat said:
    I'm pretty anti social.  I don't like being around a lot of people. When I buy from a b&m with a lounge I buy to take home. Add in I'm usually always in a hurry. 

Meeting you folks would be different.  
    Come to chicago in december
    "I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
    -- Winston Churchill

"LET'S GO FRANCIS"     Peter

• kswildcatkswildcat Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2016
    Why not now? I'm already here..  B)

Better hurry,  I be headed to Denver 6am.  :D
  • Puff_DougiePuff_Dougie Posts: 4,599 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great poll question, @Hays. I'd pay a slightly higher fee for the option of bringing my own sticks. Fortunately, my local lounge allows this without any fees, though I always pick up a few from him when I'm there, and usually share something I brought with me with him. Another place I used to go had a $5 fee for bringing your own smoke. Seemed reasonable to me. Dude's trying to sell cigars and doesn't make a buck from my butt sitting in a leather chair. :)
    "When I have found intense pain relieved, a weary brain soothed, and calm, refreshing sleep obtained by a cigar, I have felt grateful to God, and have blessed His name." - Charles Haddon Spurgeon