Home Non Cigar Related
Options

Who knows about baseball cards?

roland_7707roland_7707 Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭
Long story short, my great aunt passed away. In the photo albums, my uncle (I guess) had a 1992 Donruss Coca-Cola Nolan Ryan in what looks like a 2-3 pack because on the back of the pack is stats on James Gregory Hibbard. They are still sealed in plastic, 
Anyone deal in baseball cards? Any info would be helpful. Thanks
One God, One Truth

Comments

• Options
    0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2016
    The question is, which distribution are they from.
    Nolan Ryan Coca-Cola cards came in a box of 26 cards as a Career series set and then as Hardees set and team sets.

But why Ryan and Hibbard are in the same pack eludes me.
    Neither would be in the same team set and Hibbard was in Chicago in 92 and Ryan in Texas, so it wasn't a regional pack either.

Can you post pics of it? 
    Front and back?

I have just about every Ryan card in existance, so this one is interesting to me. LOL!
    That is, in production before 1995. After that, card production got stupid and they flooded the market with tons of crap.

In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • Options

They uploaded backwards. Shown back, side, front. 
    The brown spot on the top image is just on the plastic. 
    One God, One Truth
  • Options
    The problem is, that the Nolan Ryan has the Coca-Cola logo on it, meaningi it's from the Career Series set, but the Greg Hibbard card is from the standard set.

I have to suspect it was from something someone put together packages of cards they were selling.
    So I have to suspect that only the Nolan Ryan card is an actual Coca-Cola issue and the others are from the standard Donruss set.
    The Coca-Cola cards had the Coca-Cola logo on the bottom of the back.  
    In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
  • Options
    NolagizmoNolagizmo Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Starting in 1986 the baseball card industry started blowing up. Most of the cards after that year make it to a plateau value but never escalate higher. I have sets of cards from 1980 to 1990. Never really collected except 86' and 87' I just bought sets. That being said. The becket guide will give you a value if a collector is buying. It's only worth half to a reseller.
    "Come party with me in Tennessee for my birthday July we can smoke in the Smokey's."
  • Options
    Nolagizmo said:
    Starting in 1986 the baseball card industry started blowing up. Most of the cards after that year make it to a plateau value but never escalate higher. I have sets of cards from 1980 to 1990. Never really collected except 86' and 87' I just bought sets. That being said. The becket guide will give you a value if a collector is buying. It's only worth half to a reseller.
    Agreed, but the Beckett guide usually doesn't include regional and marketing (Coca-cola, DQ, McD, etc) in their guides. 
    It is available, but the subscription costs got to a point where I quit doing it.
    Plus the fact that I mostly collect pre-78 cards and they either take my offer, or they don't. 

I rarely ever buy baseball cards anymore. I now seem to collect game used bats, autograph baseballs and that sort of thing.
    In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
  • Options
    So ballpark, see what I did there, not worth anything? 
    One God, One Truth
  • Options
    Think we posted at the same time
    One God, One Truth
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    Not really. The Nolan might fetch a buck or two.
    1991 was the start of the demise of the baseball card industry. 
    There are still a few cards of value after 1991, but not many and the ones that are worth anything are numbered limited editions.

Wish I had better news, cause if it had been something out of the ordinary and something I didn't have, I'd have made you an offer. Sorry.

But.........
    If you have a sport collector or baseball card shop near you, it is possible they know something I don't.
    In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
  • Options
    Thanks for the help. 
    One God, One Truth
  • Options
    jarublajarubla Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @roland_7707 nice Jim Butcher book in the background. You a fan?
    “There’ll be two dates on your tombstone and all your friends will read ’em but all that’s gonna matter is that little dash between ’em.” -Kevin Welch
  • Options
    Yep. Finished the Dresden series and needed something else. I would read this guys shopping list. Lol
    One God, One Truth