Home General Discussion

Favorite pre 2007 smokes?

RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
So I've been thinking on this FDA bs and it got me wondering, If those nazis get their way and most of the sticks we've all come to love in the last 9 years just disappeared. What are some of your favorites that will be grandfathered in?

Comments

• WylaffWylaff Posts: 5,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm still reading through the entire legislation (riveting stuff...) but it seems that they are primarily concerned with secondary ingredients with tobacco products. So premium cigars (100% tobacco) would see a price increase, but nothing too major. Even the new blends are submitted for FDA approval of secondary ingredients. The FDA has already approved a couple cigarette brands for showing they were light on additives, so our beloved stogies should be alright there. 
    "Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...
  • RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wylaff said:
    I'm still reading through the entire legislation (riveting stuff...) but it seems that they are primarily concerned with secondary ingredients with tobacco products. So premium cigars (100% tobacco) would see a price increase, but nothing too major. Even the new blends are submitted for FDA approval of secondary ingredients. The FDA has already approved a couple cigarette brands for showing they were light on additives, so our beloved stogies should be alright there. 
    Hope so. I've tried reading through it but I'm afraid I just couldn't do it. I've always wondered if lawmakers purposely make things so excruciatingly boring to read so that us dullards just give up. 
  • Usaf06Usaf06 Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The issue is cost of approval which numbers wise was rumored to be in the hundreds of thousands. The smaller companies can't afford that
    "I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
    -- Winston Churchill

"LET'S GO FRANCIS"     Peter

• WylaffWylaff Posts: 5,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Each company has to turn in there sales numbers for the year, at which point they will pay based on their percentage of the market share. The little guys who make up a smaller percentage will pay a smaller percentage. On paper it's sound, but with our greedy ass government involved, who the hell knows?
    "Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...
    Looks like I'll be smoking a lot of Fuente and padron 
    "I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
    -- Winston Churchill

• danielzreyesdanielzreyes Posts: 8,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Usaf06 said:
    Ha! Loser
    "It's plume, bro. Nothing to worry about. Got any Opus?" The suppose to be DZR
  • dirtdudedirtdude Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭✭✭
    sounds like a fulltime job for @danielzreyes and that exacto searching for additives
    A little dirt never hurt
    Usaf06 said:
    Ha! Your f'ing awesome
    OH and Davidoff.. 
    -- Winston Churchill

• jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Usaf06 said:
    Looks like I'll be smoking a lot of Fuente and padron  STEMS
    FTFY @Usaf06

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• PatrickbrickPatrickbrick Posts: 7,722 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't forget about Oliva
    "We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give".  Winston Churchill.
    MOW badge received.
  • CharlieHeisCharlieHeis Posts: 8,144 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I could go back to smoking all the stuff I first found because of this forum, like MF, DPG, Fuente, etc. There are still going to be a lot of solid cigars if this shat passes. 
    But I really hope I don't have to!
  • Alex_SvensonAlex_Svenson Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭
    El Rico Habano!!!  Mmmmmm.  Been my under the radar old time favorite for 15 years
  • RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    El Rico Habano!!!  Mmmmmm.  Been my under the radar old time favorite for 15 years
    I've never had one that I'm aware of. Is it still made by EP Carillo?
  • BigshizzaBigshizza Posts: 15,644 ✭✭✭✭✭
    AB Pryme....can they bring those back? Hella good!!
  • EchambersEchambers Posts: 4,178 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bigshizza said:
    plus 1000

as much as I love trying new things, I'd be happy for a long while with af don carlos and Ashton Heritage.  I assume they are pre2007. 
    -- "There's something that doesn't make sense. Let's go poke it with a stick."
  • Cigar-333111Cigar-333111 Posts: 1
    What are everyone's post 2007 favorite cigars that might go away because of the FDA?
  • CharlieHeisCharlieHeis Posts: 8,144 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What are everyone's post 2007 favorite cigars that might go away because of the FDA?
    Too numerous to mention. Are we assuming many of the smaller boutique brands would not survive? I'll start with Viaje, Crowned Heads, and Caldwell, which are some of my favorites. 
  • 90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Echambers said:
    Bigshizza said:
    plus 1000

as much as I love trying new things, I'd be happy for a long while with af don carlos and Ashton Heritage.  I assume they are pre2007. 
    Absolutely agree Eric, those Don Carlos are brilliant as are nearly all of the Fuente line, feel the same about Padron stuff an any My Father and Tat stuff too. I haven't had much luck with the Ashton ESG line, but the VSG and a few other lines from them. Truthfully I have only sticks left that I got from trades, bombs, passes etc.. only have like 15 or so sticks left that I bought myself since I traded or bombed the rest away a while back. Have plenty that I don't need to buy anything anymore and can just smoke on what I have stocked up for quite some time.

Brett
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."