Home General Discussion

Summertime drinks??

jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
Has anyone tried pairing stogies with summertime drinks like gin & tonic?  Vodka & tonic?  Anything & tonic?

What were your findings??

Comments

• jliujliu Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2016
    John daleys! Refreshing boozing
  • danielzreyesdanielzreyes Posts: 8,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ugh . I tried Gin and tonic with a smoke. Don't do it.  Tasted like i was smoking a Christmas tree.

Martyyyyyyyyyyyy  (in Doc's voice)
    "It's plume, bro. Nothing to worry about. Got any Opus?" The suppose to be DZR
  • jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    screwdrivers in the morning.
    mojitos in the afternoon.
    bourbon in the evening.

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• avengethisavengethis Posts: 5,686 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Strip and go nakeds?
    Beer
    Team O'Donnell FTW!

"I've got a great cigar collection - it's actually not a collection, because that would imply I wasn't going to smoke ever last one of 'em." - Ron White
  • jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, but did any of you find a cigar that went well with, say, a gin & tonic?  Which cigar was it?

Talk to me about the pairings, not just the drinks....  :s

Ugh . I tried Gin and tonic with a smoke. Don't do it.  Tasted like i was smoking a Christmas tree.

Martyyyyyyyyyyyy  (in Doc's voice)
    Oh, pooh, Daniel. Man up, fer goodness sake. Gin'll put lead in your pencil and, on a good day, it'll even get you someone to write to....  B)
  • WylaffWylaff Posts: 5,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    jlmarta said:
    Yeah, but did any of you find a cigar that went well with, say, a gin & tonic?  Which cigar was it?

Talk to me about the pairings, not just the drinks....  :s
    Something from the Acid line :smirk:
    "Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...
  • peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,316 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I invented a drink, and call it the Schmidtowitz.  2 parts Squirt, 1 part Southern Comfort.

Pairs with everything, but for you Mahtee, I'll say it pairs best with Ave Marias.
    "I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    Root beer and vodka or Dr Pepper 
    Money can't buy taste
  • Usaf06Usaf06 Posts: 10,932 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Steve likes the ginger and tonic @Stubble
    "I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
    -- Winston Churchill

"LET'S GO FRANCIS"     Peter

Usaf06 said:
    Ginger and tonic??  Do you mean gin and tonic?
  • Usaf06Usaf06 Posts: 10,932 ✭✭✭✭✭
    jlmarta said:
    Usaf06 said:
    Ginger and tonic??  Do you mean gin and tonic?
    Yup... lmao
    "I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
    -- Winston Churchill

"LET'S GO FRANCIS"     Peter

• rsherman24rsherman24 Posts: 6,736 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mojito and a CC.  
  • GuitardedGuitarded Posts: 4,643 ✭✭✭✭✭

Moscow Mule: Ginger beer, Vodka, Lime.

Kentucky Mule: Ginger beer, Bourbon, Orange twist.

I like Goslings or C*ock and Bull Ginger beer.

*some one is going to FIFY that last line for sure. LOL

Friends don't let good friends smoke cheap cigars.
    Hmmmm. I've lived a good many years without knowing what ginger beer is or what it tastes like. I was about to guess that it must be something that's popular on the east coast, Mike, but then I remembered where you're from. 

I guess i'm missing something. Does it taste like root beer?  Is it sweet?  I can deal with Pepsi straight but when ya put booze into it the sweetness just ruins it for me. That's why drinks with tonic in them taste good to me in the summer.... 
  • Edna20Edna20 Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Picture like a really potent ginger ale. Very gingery. 
    Team O'Donnell FTW!
    edited May 2016
    Ah, so. Now, that I can relate to. Growing up in Detroit, ginger ale was popular - Vernor's ginger ale. The bubbles tickled your nose like champagne....  

And back in the mid-60's, I worked as a bartender for a while in Ft. Bragg, CA. Brandy and ginger was kinda popular in that area - but it was ginger ale, not ginger beer....  B)
  • jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    marty, in that case you might enjoy ginger beer.....(ginger beer is non-alcoholic too BTW). 

i drink vernor's every now and then but it's too carbonated for me, i agree that it's very bubbly and tickles your nose. 

but ginger beer is way less "bubbly" and IMO it has a better/richer ginger flavor and isn't as sweet compared to vernor's.

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

I'd probably enjoy it straight but I can't envision putting booze into it. To my wonky palate it would just be too sweet for a booze drink. 

• GuitardedGuitarded Posts: 4,643 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like vernors, but not as a mixer. Nice vanilla and ginger flavor but agree to sweet to mix with hooch. Ginger beer has no alcohol and tons of ginger flavor. Mint works instead of citrus peel also. 
    Bacardi anejo and ginger beer is another good summer drink. Add lots of limes.
    Friends don't let good friends smoke cheap cigars.
  • WylaffWylaff Posts: 5,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like ginger ale with Irish whiskey
    "Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...
  • Rockethead26Rockethead26 Posts: 296 ✭✭✭✭
    Mai Tais. My wife and I got hooked in Hawaii last month. Just one made with top notch ingredients and we're getting stupid and laughing like high schoolers. No other drink has done this to us.

Tonight is Mai Tai Friday!!!

Trying to pick out the perfect cigar.
    Life is good, don't waste it.
  • MikeToddMikeTodd Posts: 974 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My dad enjoys a cameroon wrapper with a nice Riesling. I have never been into wine.
  • No_one21No_one21 Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭
    Dark and Stormy. Goslings Dark Rum, Goslings Ginger Beer, ice, and a lime wedge. Great for summer. Great for cigars, at least imo
  • NolagizmoNolagizmo Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭✭✭
    jgibv said:
    screwdrivers in the morning.
    mojitos in the afternoon.
    bourbon in the evening.
    Well said
    "Come party with me in Tennessee for my birthday July we can smoke in the Smokey's."
  • NolagizmoNolagizmo Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No_one21 said:
    Dark and Stormy. Goslings Dark Rum, Goslings Ginger Beer, ice, and a lime wedge. Great for summer. Great for cigars, at least imo
    Isn't that the really strong rum? 
    "Come party with me in Tennessee for my birthday July we can smoke in the Smokey's."