Home Non Cigar Related

Going on a cruise

MorganGeoMorganGeo Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭✭✭
The wife and I will be celebrating our 10 yr anniversary by going on a 7 day Carnival cruise out of New Orleans this Sunday.  We will stop in Jamaica, Grand Cayman, and Cozumel.

Any of you been on a cruise?  Have any tips or suggestions?

We are so excited!

Comments

• skydiverDskydiverD Posts: 2,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Went on my first cruise last year and posted here about it as well. I was on a carnival ship. Cigar smoking was relegated to an outside deck and bar. It was fine for me. I think every cruise line has their own policy and every ship of theirs may be different. May want to call the cruise line to ask about your specific ship. 
    How do you like my profile pic Taborski?   @matkn293          
  • jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Our last cruise was to the Bahamas. I wanted to visit the Graycliff hotel and buy some cigars from them. Both the cruise and the cigars were fiascos. 

If you wanted to sit while smoking a cigar the only place available was as far aft and as far up as you could go. Up there, the wind blew a constant gale. You could stand if you wished. At various outdoor places where the cigarette smokers were relegated and the ashtrays were welded to the bulkhead. 

And the cigars I bought at Graycliff had beetles in them, I learned after we arrived home. Oh, and the prices were higher than I could have bought them at CCom. 

Little by little, cruise lines are doing away with cigar lounges so, by all means, check before you book and, if possible, get it in writing. I didn't know any better and all they told me after the fact was "oh, gee. We're sorry". 

• YankeeManYankeeMan Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just a tip.  When you are ending your cruise and you put your luggage in the hallway the night before you reach port, make sure you put a nylon band around your luggage so that it cannot be opened.

We had a bad experience with Carnival, the crew has all night to go through your bags before you hit port.  Even if you lock them, they have every key in the world.  It is too hectic at the port to check your luggage, so you really don't know you've been ripped off until you get home.  Then they tell you that you did not report it before you left the port, so they don't cover it.

Most luggage stores sell the straps.  They have to be cut off, but you know if your luggage has been opened or not.  If you flying as part of the trip, the bands help you identify your bags.
  • MorganGeoMorganGeo Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is great advice YankeeMan!  Thanks for that!
  • Usaf06Usaf06 Posts: 10,932 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If your an early riser you can skip that whole leave your bag in the hallway thing and get off at your assigned time thing. There is an early disembark period at like 6or 7 am that you take your own bags off. 
    "I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
    -- Winston Churchill

"LET'S GO FRANCIS"     Peter

• jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• rsherman24rsherman24 Posts: 6,736 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Enjoy Morgan.  The wife and I are going on a Carnival cruise in September to celebrate our 10th as well.

Enjoy Morgan.  The wife and I are going on a Carnival cruise in September to celebrate our 10th as well.

Where you leaving out of? 
    "I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
    -- Winston Churchill

Usaf06 said:

Where you leaving out of? 
    Baltimore
    Was hoping it was port canaveral
    -- Winston Churchill

Maybe next year @Usaf06 .  Would love to bomb your a$$ in person, but was not ready to fly with a 2 year old yet.
    make it happen, look forward to it. Or better yet get your @$$ to chicago. 
    -- Winston Churchill