Home Cigar 101

Mold or ploom?

mkurtmkurt Posts: 1
Just got a box of 20 of these and some have this stuff in them...a few look like they have minor white/gray fuzz in the foot too. 

Comments

• jarublajarubla Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Will it wipe off? If so, then it is mold. Looks fuzzy to my eye. I say mold
    “There’ll be two dates on your tombstone and all your friends will read ’em but all that’s gonna matter is that little dash between ’em.” -Kevin Welch
  • 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That be mold. 
    Shine a light on it. If it looks sparkly (kind of like fine sugar), it's plume. If it looks fuzzy, it's mold.
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • YaksterYakster Posts: 25,534 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That mold I wiped off my Tatuaje Tattoo the other night was sparkly, and the wrapper felt stiff, but it was a recent purchase so | Iigured mold or mineral deposits instead because it's almost never plume.
    I'll gladly bomb you Tuesday for an Opus today. 

Join us on the New Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2016
    If you take a look with a magnifying glass and see hairy looking stuff, it is mold. 
    If you see tiny crystals, it's plume.

I still do not understand how they can be mistaken for each other.

Imagine a cigar sprinkled with a very fine powder of salt, evenly coated coarsely across the wrapper.
    That is plume/bloom.

Now, imagine blothy patches of veey fine hairs, usually in patches of small circles or uneven powdery texture, such as shown by the image. That is mold.

And plume does not occur on the foot, while mold loves the foot.
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    That's mold wipe it and smoke it now or isolate it... Don't want it to infect other cigars. Also if you do wipe it do it away from all your cigars 
    Money can't buy taste
  • Usaf06Usaf06 Posts: 10,935 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd send that back to where you got it. 
    "I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
    -- Winston Churchill

"LET'S GO FRANCIS"     Peter

• RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've always heard if it's on the foot then toss it. Otherwise just wipe it off and enjoy. That's what I've always done and so far it's not killed me. But definitely take some pics and show them to whoever you bought them from.