Home General Discussion

Humidor Modification advise.

BigDaddyBigDaddy Posts: 124 ✭✭✭
Ok Vets..  
Need to know if anyone has ever done modifications to their humidor?  See the pic attached. I recently bought an oasis ultra 2.0 and it doesn't fit the spot on the lid. Here is the question...
Can I take the left and right side pieces off without damaging or messing with the integrity of the humidor?

Danny B

Comments

• peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,316 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The top should be solid wood and not a veneer, so even if you mess it up a little, it really won't hurt.
    "I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • BigDaddyBigDaddy Posts: 124 ✭✭✭
    Ok cool. Thanks Peter4jc
    Danny B
  • Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    Ugh ok stop buying stuff without doing good research! Most electric humidifiers use the dreaded green foam that grows mold! Yes mold spores will be flying all over your humidor at some point! And if your going on the 70/70 myth stop right now! 70 degrees is a great temp to hold humidity and that's how 70 degrees came in. Now 70% humidity pretty much comes back to mr zino davidoff...what people don't really consider or know is mr davidoff didn't smoke cigars per say he smoked cigarettes which is very different. Now you tell me...so wet burning leaves smell better then dry burning leaves? IMO 62-67Rh is the best really I like 62-65 now a days. So if you bought this for a small humidor your throwing money out of the window. But if you have a big temp controlled cabinet humidor then yes electric humidifiers make some sense. Really normal gel,bead or boveda packs and a fan work just fine for bigger storage
    Money can't buy taste
    Lee.... I researched it a bunch. But you're saying to take the oasis Ultra out? 
    Danny B
    I bought this for  a 120 count humidor.  Would that be considered little or big?
    Danny B
  • Usaf06Usaf06 Posts: 10,932 ✭✭✭✭✭
    all you need is boveda packs.
    "I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
    -- Winston Churchill

"LET'S GO FRANCIS"     Peter

• 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, I"ll probably get a big f'n disagree for this, but...

As far as I know, most of the electronic humidifiers are designed for larger humis, like cabinets or towers. So a 120 count desktop humi, it would be a little overkill. As Lee stated, beads, boveda or the likes would be best suited for a 120 count.

As he said, the green foam in those electronic ones will breed mold. And it will start in the foam, where you can't see it. Years ago, I found it in my Oasis when I went to put water in it. Ended up taking all the foam out and sanitizing it and putting crystals in it. Haven't had a problem since.

And I agree with his 62-67 Rh.
    I personally prefer 65, but it is something that each person will probably eventually decide on what works best for them.
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
    Thanks Usaf06.  But now I have a $100 unit to use. Can I change out the green foam with beads?
    Danny B
    Thanks OOC.  :( I guess I waisted a $100. 

But out you can change the foam out for crystals? Even in the ultra?
    Danny B
  • Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    Yes change the foam out!! You can use crystals or beads but that foam is really bad stuff!! I find it hard to believe most high end humidor a come with foam! 
    Money can't buy taste
    Ok Lee. I'll change it out. 
    Bob... Will be doing that in the future. 
    Danny B