Home Non Cigar Related

Bbq and smoking using propane or electric

Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
why?! Why?! why?! What's wrong with charcoal and wood?! Good flavor and for me easier to use plus it's more versital! So why get a propane or electric unit??
Money can't buy taste

Comments

• genareddoggenareddog Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have an electric traeger smoker and love it. Burns wood chips an is very easy. Guess maybe I am just getting lazy but wouldn't have it any other way.
  • AlbinfkAlbinfk Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Love the taste of charcoal cooked food but propane is quicker on a busy schedule . I use both as time dictates it.
  • rsherman24rsherman24 Posts: 6,736 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Love charcoal, but trying to keep a consistent temp for 6 hours while smoking ribs is too much work.  
  • NolagizmoNolagizmo Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wood and charcoal all day. I wouldn't do it any other way.image
    Off set easy smoker.

Enjoy this while it heats up.
    "Come party with me in Tennessee for my birthday July we can smoke in the Smokey's."
  • Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    Ok yes propane and all heats faster and is easier to maintain but if your going to low and slow stuff it's not about time. I guess I'm a old a hole that is stuck in my ways but charcoals and wood make some great food! 
    Money can't buy taste
  • jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2016
    lmfa0 lee.  your hatin' has spread to bbq now too??!? 

lol. dam son. 

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

jgibv said:

lol. dam son. 
    Lol I guess I should post more about things I like...like you guys and this forum! But I was thinking about upgrading my smoker and was talking with someone who was pushing propane and electric vs charcoal. So it made me mad and also wonder. Plus I can be a rather picky person at times and I know what my likes are so I go from that standpoint 
    Money can't buy taste
  • YaksterYakster Posts: 25,527 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2016
    I hear tell that they're working on a wind powered smoker that'll qualify for tax credits for energy and clean air.   :D
    I'll gladly bomb you Tuesday for an Opus today. 

Join us on the New Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
    Yeah it will kill thousands of birds and peta will be ****
    Money can't buy taste
  • 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What's wrong wirh a Hibachi [spelling?] and charcoal?
    Man, that brings back some memories.
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • WylaffWylaff Posts: 5,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...
  • jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    jgibv said:

lol. dam son. 
    Lol I guess I should post more about things I like...like you guys and this forum! But I was thinking about upgrading my smoker and was talking with someone who was pushing propane and electric vs charcoal. So it made me mad and also wonder. Plus I can be a rather picky person at times and I know what my likes are so I go from that standpoint 
    bahaha just bustin' your chops lee.  i'm with ya though, propane / electric smokers just don't seem as much fun since you don't need to watch them all day. 
    heck that's half the reason i bbq! it's good excuse to sit outside for 12 hours straight with cigars & beers.

as long as the meat tastes good, it doesn't really matter to me what it's cooked on.

but i'm a charcoal & wood purist. 
    none of that electric or propane bullsh!t allowed at my house. 

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• avengethisavengethis Posts: 5,686 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a Kamado Joe currently (big green egg) and I run with lump charcoal and wood chunks.  The flavor just cant be beat.  I feel the smoke flavor just doesn't come through on the electric/propane/pellet burners as much as the real thing. 

My current project that I am slowly working on is a full on stick burner for competition cooking.  This will be starting with charcoal but will be fueled by 100% wood by the time its cooking.  95% oak with a little cherry or pecan for some items.
    Team O'Donnell FTW!

"I've got a great cigar collection - it's actually not a collection, because that would imply I wasn't going to smoke ever last one of 'em." - Ron White
  • matkn293matkn293 Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭✭✭
    100% stick all the way. Mostly cherry with a little apple and either pecan or oak. image

Life is too short to smoke bad cigars!!!

Oh when the Blues, Oh when the Blues, Oh when the Blues go marching in!

• Edna20Edna20 Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Eeeks, the choices. You guys are not making it easy for me to decide what kind of smoker to get my husband for Father's Day! I don't like the idea of propane (though we have discussed getting a gas grill just for the times when we don't have time to deal with charcoal). The pellet smokers seem nice because you don't have to worry about temp, but now I worry about flavor and they are also a bit more expensive. 
    Team O'Donnell FTW!
  • Usaf06Usaf06 Posts: 10,932 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've been looking at getting an electric smoker myslef. 
    "I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
    -- Winston Churchill

"LET'S GO FRANCIS"     Peter

• Edna20Edna20 Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • avengethisavengethis Posts: 5,686 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A UDS (ugly drum smoker) is a really good choice. Learning curve is short and it produces great results. 

Nick what are you wanting to do? I really enjoy me Kamado Joe because I can grill, roast , smoke sear and so much more. 
    Team O'Donnell FTW!

"I've got a great cigar collection - it's actually not a collection, because that would imply I wasn't going to smoke ever last one of 'em." - Ron White