Home Non Cigar Related

How did I screw this up? Bbq smoker question.

NolagizmoNolagizmo Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭✭✭
I smoked a tiny roast for a little over 5 hours on the new off set smoker for over 4 hours. It looks great on the outside and tastes fantastic but the s.o.b. ain't done. Help please you peeps that have experience 
"Come party with me in Tennessee for my birthday July we can smoke in the Smokey's."

Comments

• Dark_RoastDark_Roast Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭
    First off your math dosn't add up. Did you mean 5lbs. over 4 hours? Try smoking 8-10 hours smoking at 225 degrees. That will help.    
  • avengethisavengethis Posts: 5,686 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mike let's vherf tonight and I can help you out.
    Team O'Donnell FTW!

"I've got a great cigar collection - it's actually not a collection, because that would imply I wasn't going to smoke ever last one of 'em." - Ron White
  • NolagizmoNolagizmo Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Got a big baby roast on small time
    "Come party with me in Tennessee for my birthday July we can smoke in the Smokey's."
     It's 7 lbs

• MESKCMESKC Posts: 213 ✭✭
    General rule of thumb 1 1/2 hrs per pound at 225 degrees. Cook to temp not time. If done early wrap in foil and towel and put in cooler to rest.
  • Chuck_NChuck_N Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2016
    If your trying to make pulled pork the internal meat temp should be at 195 to pull perfect.
    For me a 7 lb pork butt takes 10 to 12hrs at 225.
    Mike was it pork or beef?  I actually find 250 for pork and 275 for beef are really good temps to help get the fat to render down better and also shorten up the cook time.  I cook to tenderness and not worry about how much time it takes.  There are some general internal temps you can go off of but its done when its done.
    Team O'Donnell FTW!

"I've got a great cigar collection - it's actually not a collection, because that would imply I wasn't going to smoke ever last one of 'em." - Ron White
    It was beef. It just took 3 hours longer than I thought
    Yeah it probably should have taken about 8-10 hours to cook and break down properly.  
    Team O'Donnell FTW!

• jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    mike, have a look at this website for tons of info on BBQ techniques, recipes, etc. http://amazingribs.com/table_of_contents.html 
    it's one of the best, most comprehensive sites that i've come across. 

and especially take a look at the article titled "what influences cooking time?" http://amazingribs.com/tips_and_technique/cooking_time.html

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

jgibv said:
    mike, have a look at this website for tons of info on BBQ techniques, recipes, etc. http://amazingribs.com/table_of_contents.html 

and especially take a look at the article titled "what influences cooking time?" http://amazingribs.com/tips_and_technique/cooking_time.html

Thx a bunch gibby
  • MESKCMESKC Posts: 213 ✭✭
    Another great site is www.smokingmeatforums.com.
  • jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nolagizmo said:
    jgibv said:

Thx a bunch gibby
    I'm also a big fan of this website and of "Meathead". I think he's got some great recipes and is very knowledgeable about all things grilled. 

I particularly like like some of his rubs and brines. I got rave reviews for Cornish game hens brined and grilled. My child bride absolutely loved 'em. 
  • dirtdudedirtdude Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭✭✭
    a tiny roast, 7 lb. forum math
    A little dirt never hurt
  • Dark_RoastDark_Roast Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭
    Low, slow and a great deal of anxious patience. Will result in desired result.
    edited June 2016
    Guys thanks a bunch for the help. Gonna try ribs on this beeotch Monday. Just finished seasoning them and gonna let em marinate all day tomorrow. Will start the smoker at 5am low.low.low and see how it goes. If I get too hungry early will fire up the pit and make hors des o'vours. This rookie smoker appreciates all ya'lls tips. I WILL get good at this before summer ends.

Then kritters better look out or they going on da smoker!  B)
    3-2-1 method. 3 hours on the smoker, then wrap them on the smoker for 2 hours and then unwrap and sauce the last hour on the smoker.
    Team O'Donnell FTW!

• matkn293matkn293 Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A lot of people say 3-2-1. I tend to go with 3-1-1. Everytime I go with 2 hours in the foil they are complete fall apart coming out of the foil and I can't get a good last hour to sauce up. Now they are good directly out of foil if you want dry but that last out with that great glaze of sauce is what really takes it over the top. 

Life is too short to smoke bad cigars!!!

Oh when the Blues, Oh when the Blues, Oh when the Blues go marching in!