Home Cigar 101

Humidors and storage stuff what's the right RH?

Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
ok first off the 70/70 myth was made by the one and only zino davidoff! Well mr davidoff smoked cigarettes not cigars! So we will leave it at that. Next is well that's Cubans climate...not sure but when was the last time you were in Cuba? It's also called climate change. Personally if you are using the 70/70 or 70/72 method you surfed the web for bad info. Yes RH is very important for cigars but most people are just miss informed. Anything between 60 and 68 RH is very exceptable especially for certain cigars. Crap Olivia says up to 78 I think which I'm sure they say so you get mold and have to buy more! But really people if you have tunneling issues and all of that well it's too high RH in your storage! Store them how you like them! I like 62-65RH but that's me. I run certain stuff lower and certain stuff high because of how it smokes. Wrappers are the majors that I go with concerning the RH since that's usually the issue. But please don't be fooled by myths do a ton of research and you'll find out what really suites you the best. Yes it's a long process but that's what this hobby/fixation is! I was told a long time ago wet leaves smell bad when on fire...the drier leaves smell good. I put thought into that and tweaked things from there. It's a huge learning curve but once you realize the lies you were told it's a smack in the face! Go by what you like and not myths
Money can't buy taste

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,917
    I'm finding 65% works great for me. 
  • skydiverDskydiverD Posts: 2,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ditto @james40

I am holding pat at 65% and it works great for me.  Temps are usually 67-69 degrees in my basement.
    How do you like my profile pic Taborski?   @matkn293          
  • 90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    60-64% is my ideal, normally closer to 60% here in the higher elevation and drier climate of CO. Any higher than that and it is so much higher rH compared to relative air and issues erupt all over the place.

Brett
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
  • Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    It's sad how many companies hold a much higher RH
    Money can't buy taste
  • johnnyBjohnnyB Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I keep my RH between 62-67. What temperatures are safe
    Non Crux sed lux
    johnnyB said:
    I keep my RH between 62-67. What temperatures are safe
    IMO anything under 70
    Money can't buy taste
    ^ agreed, anything under 70-72 I would say. Bear in mind that getting too low isn't "bad" but it does slow the "aging" process down by slowing down the long term chemical reaction process that occurs that we call aging. Think of it as putting fruits or veggies in the fridge, slows down their ripening or decomposing etc. I normally keep my stuff between 60-72 degrees, just my taste though.

Brett

"When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
  • johnnyBjohnnyB Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the input 
    Non Crux sed lux
  • 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm in the 62-65% group. I prefer 65% myself.

I started out at the infamous 70% and had constant problems. Then read something in 2001 that someone was keeping theirs at 65% and didn't have the problems I was. So when I went to the 65% it was so much better.

It's a preferance thing, so don't be afraid to see what works best for you.
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • avengethisavengethis Posts: 5,686 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have both coolers at 65% and have found that I rarely have problems with my smokes.  Once in a while but that is usually the day that is super humid and it wouldn't matter were I had them stored at.
    Team O'Donnell FTW!

"I've got a great cigar collection - it's actually not a collection, because that would imply I wasn't going to smoke ever last one of 'em." - Ron White
    I keep mine at 60-65% too Brad, and even though it's a small 50qt cooler I keep two hygrometers in there to monitor rH on top and bottom level, also as a check to make sure one isn't wildly off another. Use plastic baskets that I put cedar from boxes I tore apart in. 

• Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    0patience said:
    I'm in the 62-65% group. I prefer 65% myself.

I started out at the infamous 70% and had constant problems. Then read something in 2001 that someone was keeping theirs at 65% and didn't have the problems I was. So when I went to the 65% it was so much better.

It's a preferance thing, so don't be afraid to see what works best for you.
    This was me, too.  Now I keep 2 humidors, newly arrived cigars at roughly 67 - 70% for a month, then move to the available for smoking humidor at roughly 61 - 65%.  Works out much better.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
    I've always wondered about why people have different storage RH and smoking RH. To me store them how you smoke them. Why bother the headaches of acclimation when you can just go grab something and smoke it then. I doubt the oils break down at 60rh so what's the big deal? This is a actual question people! I really store by what kind of wrapper...some take a lower RH some like a higher RH. But really I'm a as stated 62-65 and maybe even a whopping 67 RH. For me it just makes sense store them how you smoke them...so why all the different rh's?
    Money can't buy taste
  • Dark_RoastDark_Roast Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭
    When I first started smoking seriously I liked my cigar squishy. I am sure they were over rh. Now after years of smoking I really don't pay attention to rh. I have a bunch of cigars in my humidor and they feel hard but smoke excellently! I have also decided to use my front teeth to bite off cap. Seems to work on single, double or tripple caps! I am in no way shape or form saying anyone should follow my laid back attitude toward the leaf but it works for me. Find out what works for you! Peace Out! 
  • First_WarriorFirst_Warrior Posts: 3,140 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have been rolling my own cigars for about a year now and find 60- to 65 percent gives me the best burn. When i roll the binder and wrapper are kind of wet. Two weeks in the humidor at the low 60's gives me the best burn. 
  • NorthsideSmokeNorthsideSmoke Posts: 515 ✭✭✭✭
    interesting, stuff I have kept my cigars at 68%  I felt they burned better. I have never tried anything below that, but you guys have me thinking about it. they're in the basement so it's a pretty steady 66f. I am sure it will take weeks for the cigars to actually get down to 65%. but I think I will reset the humidifier and give it a go. I really don't have burn issues but I am curious to see what if any difference it makes. 
  • RolanddeschainRolanddeschain Posts: 898 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I had bought some Boveda packs at 68% for my cube fridgeador. I haven't really smoked anything for a few weeks due to it being so DAYUM hot here but I noticed that the stick I grabbed last night didn't seem to burn very well. I know there are a lot of other factors which could effect this but I wouldn't think 3%rh would make THAT big of a difference.
    Long days and pleasant nights,

Roland
    I had bought some Boveda packs at 68% for my cube fridgeador. I haven't really smoked anything for a few weeks due to it being so DAYUM hot here but I noticed that the stick I grabbed last night didn't seem to burn very well. I know there are a lot of other factors which could effect this but I wouldn't think 3%rh would make THAT big of a difference.
    In a hot sticky environment 3 rh can be huge! In a cold place 3 rh has less of a impact. When it's hot out molecules are bigger and can hold much more moisture. Rh is the percent of moisture held by the molecules and space. When you think about it think of a cold beer. When it's nice and cold and hot out it sweats...this is because the air rh hitting it becomes 101% humidity. The air that hits it can't hold the rh so it dumps it just like rain. Now when it's colder out its much harder to get the same amount of moisture to build on that can. That's because the molecules are smaller making it harder to hold humidity. I know it's a headache but if thought about and studied you'll get the point
    Money can't buy taste
  • WylaffWylaff Posts: 5,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for that Lee. Some cool food for though.
    "Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...
  • CigarPunkCigarPunk Posts: 826 ✭✭✭✭
    Lee that was great. I think we should call you the Professor. You rock 
  • MikeToddMikeTodd Posts: 974 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2016
    I noticed that too last week with this hot and humid weather. I ruined a great smoke that way and got really frustrated. What I did the next night was set my stick out on my humidor for about a half hour. My RH is usually around 65%. Then I set it out on my porch (covered and protected) about 20min prior to smoking. I know it took away from the convenience of grab n go but it smoked like a beauty. I am in Northwest Indiana so we were having very similar weather.