Home Non Cigar Related

Bees and 5th Wheels don't mix

Has anyone had a swarm or hive of bees find a home in their 5th Wheel? I went to check on the trailer and camp this weekend and found I have some new friends. They aren't aggressive and aren't honey bees but it made hooking up and disconnecting tough since they are in the hitch. The cover we made must have blown off during a storm and we went too long without checking on it.

I'm having someone come by today to remove them, hopefully alive, but they may need to kill them to get rid of them all. 

I haven't been able to determine what kind of bees they are because they have a bee head but a wasp bottom. 

Comments

• 90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thats rough James, sorry that happened but hope it works out well and quickly for you without any further trouble!

Brett
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
  • jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    good info here to help ID the different kinds of Bees, Ants, Wasps & other similar insects:  http://www.insectidentification.org/bees-ants-wasps-and-similar.asp

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• YaksterYakster Posts: 25,531 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I get some wasps making nests up in the lid of my pop-up tent trailer some times... I've even seen them nest inside car doors for cars that have been sitting for a while.  Pays to be careful around doors and openings.
    I'll gladly bomb you Tuesday for an Opus today. 

Join us on the New Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,917
    Thanks fellas. That was not fun handing over $400.. Learn from me, check on your chit often.
  • EchambersEchambers Posts: 4,178 ✭✭✭✭✭
    james40 said:
    Thanks fellas. That was not fun handing over $400.. Learn from me, check on your chit often.
    Yikes! 
    -- "There's something that doesn't make sense. Let's go poke it with a stick."
    james40 said:
    dannngggg!!!!!  that must've been 1 heck of a hive they had!

did you find out what type of insect they were?

Yeah, they were there a few months and the 5th wheel two down from me has a hive as well. The guy said only honey bees do that (swarm/hive) so I guess I was wrong. They certainly didn't look like your average bee. 

I have to check on it this Saturday but they should all be dead. 
    james40 said:
    Yeah, they were there a few months and the 5th wheel two down from me has a hive as well. The guy said only honey bees do that (swarm/hive) so I guess I was wrong. They certainly didn't look like your average bee. 

I have to check on it this Saturday but they should all be dead. 
    yep honey bees definitely swarm when the hive splits and they have a second queen. 

and just my $0.02, so take it for what it's worth, but if it happens again PLEASE don't have the bees sprayed/killed. 
    honey bees mean you no harm and aren't a$$holes like those yellowjacket wasps!!

and if you can find a local bee keeper, i can almost guarantee they would be more than happy to come remove the hive for you. 
    and they may even do it free of charge because a new honey bee colony would cost them $100 or more if they had to buy it.

2 wouldn't service my area and 2 have not even returned calls. It wasn't my choice to zap them, even though they are extremely inefficient at what they do (Mason Bees are the bomb), I had to take care of this quickly. It's unfortunate but based on where they were located (inside the 5th wheel), they would have to remove panels and they weren't willing to do that.
  • jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭