Neat story for sure. Thx.
    Free Cuba
    "I ain't got no Opus's"
    LLA
    - Lancero Lovers of America
    2016 Gang War (South)
    May I assss u a ?

• LRJohnsonLRJohnson Posts: 41 ✭✭
    Lmao I bet he read the whole opus X rare estate 1992! This means watch out!!!!!! Yup your smokes are worth now $.5 to me. Tell me what a good RH and temp is and tell me what you found them at. Then tell me how long you've been smoking for plus what the three best companies are
    Like I said I'm a novice for sure .  I try to keep my humidor around 70.  I don't know the top brands bit I love partagas when I can splurge.  I'm just a po boy!!

Haven't made it home yet but will try to post some pics asap!  Thank you all so far for the input.  Just trying to find out as much as I can.
  • 90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would advise keep rH around 62-65% humidity and make sure your temp inside of the hum is 55-70 degrees F. Cooler than that and will greatly slow aging, hotter than that and higher humidity than what was posted starts causing issues of being too hot, spongy, acrid smoke, sour, and even beetle infestation. The 70/70 really isn't accurate and leads to issues. I would advise to use the lower humidity fyi ;)

Brett
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
    Hope these help!
  • miller65rodmiller65rod Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Macs may be worth something. Not a collector but they look good. I am sure many questions would be asked if someone was interested.

The Opus's though, if an original are past their prime IMO. They have to be super mild and more of a floral taste IMO. They are crusty though.
    Free Cuba
    "I ain't got no Opus's"
    LLA
    2016 Gang War (South)
    May I assss u a ?

BTW thx for sharing. Have you had these the whole time or stumble across them?
    Free Cuba
    "I ain't got no Opus's"
    LLA
    2016 Gang War (South)
    May I assss u a ?

A friend of mine passed  away over two years ago.  His wife gave them to me
    Nice.

Would be curious if someone contacts you from CCom about purchasing or selling. Keep us posted. 

Go buy an OPUS X Reserve D Chateau and smoke it, you should taste a huge difference of course. Younger OPUS's are very powerful too many and they age them for a few years before smoking. You could have potential buyers for them just for the "look what I got" star power I guess.

I smoke em, the hell with selling them lol.

Free Cuba
    "I ain't got no Opus's"
    LLA
    2016 Gang War (South)
    May I assss u a ?

Thank you all!  Any other input?
    Nope other than call CCom and tell them what you got. If they can move them I am sure they will call ASAP.
    Free Cuba
    "I ain't got no Opus's"
    LLA
    2016 Gang War (South)
    May I assss u a ?

I called today and they told me to send the info to merch@cigar.com.  I did and sent some picture so I guess I will see!
    edited June 2016
    Thank you all!  Any other input?
    There are a few here who know way more about the Opus X than myself, but I would tell you those are newer than the original releases. The early ones came in boxes that were not hinged but rather had lids that slid in and out like a slat. Couldn't tell you what year for sure but most have a date stamp or manufacturer code on the bottom of the box. If yours done take a pic and post and we can help to date them. As I said I doubt those are from the earliest years but I could be mistaken. Either way congrats on some great finds and sorry for your loss. I hope your friend's wife kept them properly humidified in his absence before bringing them to you. Even a few months of not being maintained in a proper environment can ruin a special cigar :(

Brett
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
    Good luck keep us posted. Thx again for sharing. 

Now if you got some pre 1991 Cuban Dunhill's or  Cuban Davidoff's we can talk lol. 
    Free Cuba
    "I ain't got no Opus's"
    LLA
    2016 Gang War (South)
    May I assss u a ?

All I can find on the bottom is that it is a 32 count box!  31 now!
    Supposedly the last 3 numbers are the year of production. Add the last 3 numbers on the bottom of the box to 1980 (the year the Fuentes family moved to the DR) will give you the year. Example- last 3 numbers are 032. 1980+32=2012. 

Free Cuba
    "I ain't got no Opus's"
    LLA
    2016 Gang War (South)
    May I assss u a ?

Now don't hold me to it. Call Tampasweethearts, they have no clue as well it seems. Date codes seem to be a secret. Here is some info on it. U make your own opinion on the subject.

http://lounge.cigarfamily.com/archive/index.php/t-253461.html
    Free Cuba
    "I ain't got no Opus's"
    LLA
    2016 Gang War (South)
    May I assss u a ?

Ir says 32 cigars.  I know she told me they had been stored for at least 15 years
  • TridentTrident Posts: 2,561 ✭✭✭✭
    Everything that @90+_Irishman said was true.  he has given me an OR OPUS, and there is some damage to it.  There is no Cello on the cigar though.  Also, the La Vieja is sitting nicely tucked away in a cooler.  

With regards to the Opus box, it is an earlier release, but the date may never be found out.  The box has the black Opus X on the top which is from the earlier releases.  The newer ones have the red X.  My knowledge on Opus is rather limited though, so take that with a grain of salt
    Even if they aren't worth anything are they safe to smoke?
    The one I smoked the other night seemed really good!  I'd had a few beers in me though!  It burned well at least!
    I am as far from an aficionado as can be though!
  • GuitardedGuitarded Posts: 4,643 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I did a little digging. If the cigars are the original sticks for that box, the 1992 date is the year the wrapper was harvested. The first public release was November 1995. 
    Safe to smoke? They look fine to me! 
    I have no idea what they might be worth. Let us know what happens.
    Good Luck
    Friends don't let good friends smoke cheap cigars.
    Great thanks! 
    Trident said:
    Everything that @90+_Irishman said was true.  he has given me an OR OPUS, and there is some damage to it.  There is no Cello on the cigar though.  Also, the La Vieja is sitting nicely tucked away in a cooler.  

With regards to the Opus box, it is an earlier release, but the date may never be found out.  The box has the black Opus X on the top which is from the earlier releases.  The newer ones have the red X.  My knowledge on Opus is rather limited though, so take that with a grain of salt
    Light that La Vieja up Roman, ain't getting any younger :p

Good to hear from you man and hope you're doing well ;)

Brett
  • avengethisavengethis Posts: 5,686 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Want to trade?
    Team O'Donnell FTW!

"I've got a great cigar collection - it's actually not a collection, because that would imply I wasn't going to smoke ever last one of 'em." - Ron White
  • Usaf06Usaf06 Posts: 10,932 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2016
    How were they kept for the two years since the guy passed? If they were kept well those would be money.  The opus X that is
    "I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
    -- Winston Churchill

"LET'S GO FRANCIS"     Peter

• 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I smoked some Macanudos in 1979, does that count?
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.