Home Cigar 101

Converting antique China cabinet into humidor.

CigarPunkCigarPunk Posts: 826 ✭✭✭✭
If this does not sell this weekend in our garage sale I am thinking about converting it into a humidor. Anyone have experience in doing any of this type if conversion.  Suggestions welcomed. 

Comments

• onestrangeoneonestrangeone Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've converted quite a few pieces of furniture into humidor's. As for that one it's going to take some time and effort, how are your woodworking skill's? Do you have or have access to woodworking tools? Could you build that cabinet from scratch?  If you can mill the cedar yourself it might be worth the time. If you decided to go ahead I can offer some tips that might save you some headaches.   
  • CigarPunkCigarPunk Posts: 826 ✭✭✭✭
    I've converted quite a few pieces of furniture into humidor's. As for that one it's going to take some time and effort, how are your woodworking skill's? Do you have or have access to woodworking tools? Could you build that cabinet from scratch?  If you can mill the cedar yourself it might be worth the time. If you decided to go ahead I can offer some tips that might save you some headaches.   
    I could not build this from scratch. The top is removable and very well sealed with removable shelves. My intentions are to remove the shelving and line with spanish cedar along with replacing current shelving with cedar shelving. This I could do with the tools I own or can borrow. If that goes well I then plan on dong the bottom separate as an aging storage humidor in same fashion. Would be welcome to any suggestions you have or if you think it won't work let me know. 
    Can you tell what is under the veneer? Plywood? Particle board? Mdf? The biggest challenge will be the door seal, you will have to build a custom gasket. do you have a good source for the cedar?  
  • CigarPunkCigarPunk Posts: 826 ✭✭✭✭
    The front, sides  and top are half inch solid hardwood. Back is eight inch. Been looking around for cedar have couple lumber yards I know and a b&m doing some hunting for me. Agree door gasket will be the challenge. Dollar bill moves with some but not very much effort. 
     You will do a lot better if you can find a real lumber yard, At places like woodcraft, rockler etc you will pay a ultra premium for SC, the last time I checked Rockler a board foot of cedar was about $38 I buy 12/4 rough stock for $6 a board foot and mill it myself.
  • Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    CigarPunk said:
    The front, sides  and top are half inch solid hardwood. Back is eight inch. Been looking around for cedar have couple lumber yards I know and a b&m doing some hunting for me. Agree door gasket will be the challenge. Dollar bill moves with some but not very much effort. 
    Window insulation the foam stuff works well
    Money can't buy taste
  • RolanddeschainRolanddeschain Posts: 898 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This sounds like an AWESOME project! Im a newbie to the cigar scene and wouldn't need a humidor that large but you have definitely given me an idea if/when I need one:)

Roland

Long days and pleasant nights,

Roland
  • jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    CigarPunk said:

I could not build this from scratch. The top is removable and very well sealed with removable shelves. My intentions are to remove the shelving and line with spanish cedar along with replacing current shelving with cedar shelving. This I could do with the tools I own or can borrow. If that goes well I then plan on dong the bottom separate as an aging storage humidor in same fashion. Would be welcome to any suggestions you have or if you think it won't work let me know. 
    Your plan sounds good and it's definitely doable. 

Go with at least at least 1/4 inch spanish cedar boards....the thicker the better since they'll help maintain your RH.  If you can find 1/2 inch boards and it won't break the bank, go for those 

As @onestrangeone ; suggested, you'll definitely pay a premium at Woodcraft and similar stores, but the boards will be ready to go.  If you're looking to save some $ find a local lumber yard or mill and see if they can get you some spanish cedar and cut it to size.

And when you attach the spanish cedar boards, consider using a wood glue/adhesive in addition to small finishing nails. 
    You can get fancy with the corner joints if you want to, but simple butt joints will be fine, just make sure the boards are tight to one another.

Lastly as far as sealing the gaps around the door, yep @Lee.mcglynn ; is spot on with the window insulation suggestion.  Hit up any big box hardware store and browse their window insulation section.  Tons of shapes, sizes, and ways to attach the insulation strips....just look around and find one that works best for your set-up.

You also might want to look into an electronic humidifier since that appears to be a decent size cabinet.

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• 90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    John and Lee and Nathan all gave brilliant advice, between these three I am sure you can put together a great plan to get that taken care of :)

Brett
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."