Home General Discussion

Bad Chemistry...

Puff_DougiePuff_Dougie Posts: 4,599 ✭✭✭✭✭
So, apparently if you toss your cigar butts into a planter filled with potting soil, it creates a slow combustion that eventually burns through the bottom... 

"When I have found intense pain relieved, a weary brain soothed, and calm, refreshing sleep obtained by a cigar, I have felt grateful to God, and have blessed His name." - Charles Haddon Spurgeon

Comments

• 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Were you able to hide it before your wife saw it?

Could have been way worse. Kind of lucky.
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • BigDaddyBigDaddy Posts: 124 ✭✭✭
    That's just crazy. 
    Danny B
  • jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gotta be careful with things that burn -- or used to. I once dumped the ashes from a fire-tub in the yard into a toter of green, wet grass clippings after the ashes had sat in the fire-tub for a few days. 

Who'da thought that green, wet grass clippings would burn?  Who'da thought that ashes would still have live embers in them after sitting for a few days?  An observant neighbor spotted the flames and had the fire out before I could even get out the door. 

And the toter that was burning was about 10 feet from the wall that ignited from the flames in the toter. That was a few years ago but it sure taught this oldfart a lesson.....  B)
  • YaksterYakster Posts: 25,530 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I replaced my metal kitchen trash can with a step lid with a plastic  one and now the metal can collects my butts and ash in back.
    I'll gladly bomb you Tuesday for an Opus today. 

Join us on the New Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • Rockethead26Rockethead26 Posts: 296 ✭✭✭✭
    So, apparently if you toss your cigar butts into a planter filled with potting soil, it creates a slow combustion that eventually burns through the bottom... 

Whoa! Glad nothing worse happened.
    Life is good, don't waste it.
  • WylaffWylaff Posts: 5,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've experienced the same thing. I use a metal beer bucket to collect butts, then dump it at trash day.
    "Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...
  • 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2016
    Funny thing is, if you had set it down in the ashtray to go get a drink, it would have gone out before you got back.

We have a bucket with sand in it out in the carport for that very reason.
    Should I send you some Pacific coast beach Sand, Doug?
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • Puff_DougiePuff_Dougie Posts: 4,599 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I guess it could have been much worse...

https://youtu.be/xMtATFftS0w

I'm planning to pick up a stone planter to set over the burn mark and fill it with sand. I figure allegheny river sand will do the trick, Tony, but thanks for the nice offer. :)
    "When I have found intense pain relieved, a weary brain soothed, and calm, refreshing sleep obtained by a cigar, I have felt grateful to God, and have blessed His name." - Charles Haddon Spurgeon
  • dirtdudedirtdude Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am glad I am not the only guy to nearly catch the house on fire from ashes
    A little dirt never hurt
  • Puff_DougiePuff_Dougie Posts: 4,599 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think it's time to get a stinky ashtray. 
  • AlbinfkAlbinfk Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Holy crap. My wife sells the stuff and I've been putting my cigars out in a 5 gallon sized planter filled with it.