Home Cigar 101

Another new guy post.......

RolanddeschainRolanddeschain Posts: 898 ✭✭✭✭✭
Greetings all,
I'm new to cigars, in fact new to smoking period. Strangely, my interest began after I started home brewing beer. It seems a fair number of home brewers(noticed this on a brewing forum) enjoy pairing cigars with their brews. The funny thing is that I have never smoked a cigarette in my life and actually find it a disgusting habit in others.......I feel like such a hypocrite every time I enjoy a cigar. 

Roland

Long days and pleasant nights,

Roland

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,917
    Hi and welcome Roland. Cigars and cigarettes are two completely different things. I would not feel bad about having cigars. 

Im have a brew kit myself but have never used it because I'm too worried about **** something up. 
  • 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Rolanddeschain
    A lot of us don't or haven't smoked cigs.
    So it isn't uncommon for a person to smoke cigars, but never have smoked cigarettes.

This is what is wrong with this society.
    Making a person feel like a hypocrite for enjoying things in life.
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • Rockethead26Rockethead26 Posts: 296 ✭✭✭✭
    Welcome, Roland. No cigarettes here either. Enjoy the new adventure.
    Life is good, don't waste it.
  • tabakotabako Posts: 365 ✭✭✭
    Despise cigarettes, they are the mongrels of Nicotiana tabacum! I know how you feel though; I feel like the ultimate snob trying to explain the difference to someone too.
  • 90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2016
    Just my two cent words of wisdom, but unless it's a close friend or family member that you actually care about and more specifically care about their opinion, don't need to explain the difference to anyone else. 5 min from now will you remember or will they remember and care? Probably not and isn't worth the time or mental capacity to waste time trying to explain to someone who has likely already made up their mind and commited to being an ignorant azz. But then again I'm a drunken angry slob :p

Brett
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
  • RolanddeschainRolanddeschain Posts: 898 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Its mostly family. My mother is a life long cigarette smoker and will most likely(I hate to say it aloud) die as a result......I have given her $hit about her smoking for more than 20 years so I'm actually keeping it from her......I don't need the "oh, its good enough for you but not for me" crap.
    In truth, I feel no need to discuss my cigars with anyone beyond my wife and the forum. Im still too new to this to do much beyond giving my opinion on the  brands of cigars I've had so far:) Thanks for the advice though, gents!

Roland

Long days and pleasant nights,

Roland
  • WylaffWylaff Posts: 5,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, welcome to the brotherhood. 
    "Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome.

Yes, they're two VERY different things, but, as @90+_Irishman already explained, most of the brainwashed public will never get the difference.

Enjoy, enjoy life, for as Jim Morrison said: "No one here gets out alive."

Well, not as we are, anyway.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • jrodrig03jrodrig03 Posts: 1
    Never like cigarettes prefer more the cigars with a nice dark beer or whisky on a hot summer night!   Hello evryone
  • Rockethead26Rockethead26 Posts: 296 ✭✭✭✭
    Welcome to the insanity, @jrodrig03

Life is good, don't waste it.
  • johnnyBjohnnyB Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome  @jrodrig03 sounds like you'll fit in great around here 
    Non Crux sed lux
  • jarublajarubla Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome Roland and jrodrig
    “There’ll be two dates on your tombstone and all your friends will read ’em but all that’s gonna matter is that little dash between ’em.” -Kevin Welch
  • tabakotabako Posts: 365 ✭✭✭
    jrodrig03 said:
    Never like cigarettes prefer more the cigars with a nice dark beer or whisky on a hot summer night!   Hello evryone
    You are gonna fit right in here! Welcome to you!