Home Cigar 101

Mini-fridge for humidor?

RolanddeschainRolanddeschain Posts: 898 ✭✭✭✭✭
I have an old dorm sized fridge which, IMO, would be perfect as a humidor. Its airtight and would be easy to clean and prep. I can get spanish cedar locally at a decent price so I can add that to the sides or shelves. My question would be what recommendations would you guys make for humidification?
Im thinking of using this as a longer term storage humi because all this playing with the Sprint sales is making my collection grow pretty fast! LOL
Long days and pleasant nights,

Roland

Roland

Comments

• WylaffWylaff Posts: 5,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Treat it like you would a cooler, but DO NOT plug it in. I personally think you would be better off setting up the cooler now, as you would have a lot more freedom. Fridges don't hold as much as you would think. 
    "Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...
  • 90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kitty litter for the humidification unit is my suggestion, that's what I have used in my wineador since I got it years back. 

Brett
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
  • Usaf06Usaf06 Posts: 10,932 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah unfortunately a refrigerator uses a compressor to cool inside and the compressor sucks the moisture out of the unit. If you use it don't plug it in. Then you are dealing with a hot fridge and in no better shape than a cooler
    "I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
    -- Winston Churchill

"LET'S GO FRANCIS"     Peter

• peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,320 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm using a dorm fridge.  It's downstairs with my storage boxes, and since the temp hovers in the upper 60's at the most, I just don't plug it in.

I say if you already own it, use it.  If you'd have to buy something, buy a cooler.

Skip the cedar lining.  Your boxes will provide a nice fragrance.  Since we have humidifying devices, we don't really need cedar anymore. 
    "I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • EchambersEchambers Posts: 4,178 ✭✭✭✭✭
    no. doesn't make sense.  you'll get more room out of a Coolidore. 
    -- "There's something that doesn't make sense. Let's go poke it with a stick."
  • RolanddeschainRolanddeschain Posts: 898 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've already got the unit, that's the only reason I'm going to use it.

Roland
  • dirtdudedirtdude Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭✭✭
    thats why I went to the winecooler, I already had it and dont drink much....wine
    A little dirt never hurt
  • jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Reduce.
    Reuse.
    Recycle.

Great idea Roland. 
    Sounds like a good way to expand your cigar storage space by re-purposing a mini-fridge that you already own.

As others suggested, just don't plug in the fridge and you'll be fine. 

And as Peter suggested, you can probably skip the cedar lining and just use wooden cigar boxes for storage.  Since refrigerators have nice & tight seals, you won't have to worry so hard about regulating the RH like with a normal wooden humidor.

For humidification, depending on the size of the fridge you may want to consider an electronic humidifier if it's a larger mini-fridge. 
    But if it's a smaller fridge, then take your pick of gel jars, boveda packs, and/or humidity beads.  And obviously the size of the fridge will determine how many humidification devices you need.

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    If you do plug it in make sure you put the cigars in air tight containers and put boveda packs in each one! I have a compressor run wine fridge I got for free so that is what I do. As for the thermo electric guys yeah it still does the same thing but to a lesser degree. Ac and refrigeration are all part of the same thing...they were made to dehumidify! Less humidity equals a much better feel. The only way to do that is to cool the air and take moisture away. So in the end yup all the same to some degree
    Money can't buy taste
  • YaksterYakster Posts: 25,530 ✭✭✭✭✭
    +1, to beat the heat here I put my sticks in tuppedors in a cooler with an ice pack and after several days resting I just pulled out one of my tuppedors and it's 60 F and 68 % so I call that good, better than the 80+ F I was having before.
    I'll gladly bomb you Tuesday for an Opus today. 

Join us on the New Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • CloudWarmerCloudWarmer Posts: 3
    Heatfelt industries sells beads and board humidification that would work great to stabilize RH.