Home Non Cigar Related

Blood Pressure Medicine

MorganGeoMorganGeo Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭✭✭
Do any of you guys take it?  I just got put on it a few months ago along with a lecture about losing some weight.

My questions is if you take it does it make you cough?  My Dr. said it was a potential side effect.  I have like a dry cough that is annoying and I think it's from the medicine.  I take 10mg of Lisinopril.

Comments

• cbuckcbuck Posts: 8,414 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Been taking to toprol for 7 years with no side effects.

• RBeckomRBeckom Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭
    Possibly although I have been on lisinopril 10mg. along with hydrochlorothiazide 12.5 mg. for severial years with no adverse effects to my health.
  • Poopy_JonesPoopy_Jones Posts: 455 ✭✭✭
    I'm on 2.5 mg of lisinopril. No cough and no noticeable side effects
  • AlbinfkAlbinfk Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I take 5 mg of lisinopril and it will give you a dry scratchy cough. Went away after a few months.
  • eklektos44eklektos44 Posts: 145 ✭✭✭
    I'm on it and it doesn't bother me, however it makes my wife have coughing fits bad enough to be taken off it. Talk to your doctor. There are other diuretics you can take that don't have the side effects. 
    "Many a true word hath been spoken in jest"
                                                                  King Lear
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @MorganGeo

STOP NOW! 

If lisinopril is making you cough it's not agreeing with you.  STOP and see your Dr. immediately.  The allergic reaction to lisinopril is angioedema.  First symptom is a cough, then, even if you've been on it 20 years, sudden onset angioedema. 

Seriously!  I've seen people come to ER with their tongues so swollen that their teeth were cutting into their tongues! 

THIS IS NOT A JOKE!   I've seen it at least 20 times myself working ER. 
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • MorganGeoMorganGeo Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is so scary.  Thanks so much as I'm going to talk with my Dr. Asap!

• webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gotta love this place.
    “It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• AlbinfkAlbinfk Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My doctor said it was ok if it subsided which it did. I better ask some questions .
  • jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As best I can determine, Lisinopril is an Ace Inhibitor but is not a diuretic. If I were you, I'd talk with my doctor....
  • Dark_RoastDark_Roast Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for this thread. I need to get back on mine.
  • 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This thread got me wondering.
    What is considered high blood pressure?

I guess I've never thought about it, because doc never mentions it.
    They put the strap thing on, pump it up, write some numbers down and nothing is said. I know what they are, because when I got injured I asked if the numbers were bad, being broken up and all and they said they were fine.
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • avengethisavengethis Posts: 5,686 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bum of the week thread is a good blood pressure medicine.  Although its probably making it go the other way.
    Team O'Donnell FTW!

"I've got a great cigar collection - it's actually not a collection, because that would imply I wasn't going to smoke ever last one of 'em." - Ron White
  • MorganGeoMorganGeo Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My readings are right around 130/90.  Need to come down a tad more.   Before medicine it typically was like 144/92 in that area.

i think the logic has always been you want it 120/80.

The medicine I know will work is to quit being a fat a ss and doing just a tad bit of exercise.  It's just making myself do it is the problem
  • 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm 110 over 68. So I assume that is good. But then again, I'm about 165 lbs, so that may make a difference.

Exercise is tough for anyone who works. I do enough exercize at work.
    Stressing about it doesn't help you.
    One thing a buddy of mine does that helped him is he goes on a long walk during his cigar time. He walks about a mile a day. He's lost 20 lbs in 3 months.

In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • VulchorVulchor Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭✭

Cough is common, and by all accounts nothing to worry about if reasonable.  I too take the same pill and get a cough or scratchy throat at times----unknown if related.  My mother and grandmother (family has hx of BP issues) both took different pills and both suffered with the cough----mom still does.  Doctor says, "its happens...the pill works well though, so unless its too much for you I don't want to change"

As far as what is high.....seems to be less and less every year.  Used to be 150/90, then 140/90, not its like 135 over 85............Grandmother was on 3 different BP meds and hers was NEVER under 160/95---and I mean NEVER.  Lived until she was 83 and died of cancer never having had a stroke, heart attack, etc.  Go figure.

• BigshizzaBigshizza Posts: 15,644 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I take 3 different ones and it's still 150/95... Not sure why it's not responding... Ughh
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I should add to this that I'm not against lisinopril, I take it every day.  Most will only ever get the cough, I never did.  I just had a memory moment on reading Morgangeo's post.  Hazard of spending many years in the ER, where you see the worst case scenario much more often.  Every single person having the angioedema reaction that I've ever seen experienced the cough.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain