Home General Discussion

How long have you been smoking

genareddoggenareddog Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭✭✭
Just kind of wondering how long you guys have been smoking and do you have any health issues because of smoking cigars?

Comments

• Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Off and on before that but got into it more frequently and really got hooked about five years ago. 

Cough cough, snort, spit, hack, spit. COUGH! No health problems. Cough! 

Not really.

season 3 talking episode 11 phone lamp
  • Usaf06Usaf06 Posts: 10,932 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I started when i was 19 having a stick every now and then. That continued for 18 years never smoking more than 5 a year. December 2014 is when it became more of a hobby and obsession. 
    "I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
    -- Winston Churchill

"LET'S GO FRANCIS"     Peter

• 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just kind of wondering how long you guys have been smoking and do you have any health issues because of smoking cigars?
    Been smoking cigars on and off since 1979.
    It started as a weekend thing while we built hot rods.
    In the mid 90s, when the cigar boom hit, along with the internet, I discovered a ton of new brands. Some good, a lot not so good.

As for health issues from cigars. 
    No and I don't entertain arguments of such things.

In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,046 ✭✭✭✭✭
    52 years, no health issues, yet.
  • 90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    6-12 a year for 7 or so years. Then 2011 I joined up Ccom and started smoking heavily and most cases 1-4/day off and on. Only health issue I notice is that it costs me $500 a year extra for insurance and after smoking 3+ in one day the next day a have a bit of a cough and hack in the mornings but basically nill. 

Brett
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,917

I started back in August of 2010 when I turned 40. I average 1 a week and I have not seen any issues. My doctor said it was okay to do that so I'm fine with it.

• AlbinfkAlbinfk Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1 year. Never smoked cigarettes. Drank too much but that's a different story.
  • Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    I'm in the maybe 5-6yr and I smoke cigarettes as well...yeah I know I need to quit them but I'm under a ton of stress all day so won't happen anytime soon! As for issues yes as stated my wallet takes a beating! But that's just from being a bad with money kind of guy
    Money can't buy taste
    james40 said:

I started back in August of 2010 when I turned 40. I average 1 a week and I have not seen any issues. My doctor said it was okay to do that so I'm fine with it.

One a week??? Damn I'm at about 10-15 a week. I smoked 5 alone on Sunday.
    "I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
    -- Winston Churchill

• PatrickbrickPatrickbrick Posts: 7,722 ✭✭✭✭✭
    6-12 a year for 7 or so years. Then 2011 I joined up Ccom and started smoking heavily and most cases 1-4/day off and on. Only health issue I notice is that it costs me $500 a year extra for insurance and after smoking 3+ in one day the next day a have a bit of a cough and hack in the mornings but basically nill. 

Brett

This is interesting, my insurance company told me that after I was one year free of inhaling tobacco products I am considered a nonsmoker.  Smoking cigars made my insurance cost go down.  I have never had any health issues due to any tobacco products to date.  I smoke an average of at least one cigar a day.   
    "We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give".  Winston Churchill.
    MOW badge received.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,917
    Usaf06 said:
    james40 said:

Not all of us are as awesome as you Nick. Thanks for making me feel bad about myself. Womp womp womp,,,,,, :)
    james40 said:
    Usaf06 said:
    james40 said:

Not all of us are as awesome as you Nick. Thanks for making me feel bad about myself. Womp womp womp,,,,,, :)
    I'm sure I can find something to cheer you up
    -- Winston Churchill

• 10toes5410toes54 Posts: 85 ✭✭
    Started in late June of 2016 lol had my very first in 07 and has haunted me since! It was a bad cigar a Macanudo cafe' like mediums now smoke about 1a week mostly robusto 
  • EchambersEchambers Posts: 4,178 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Usaf06 said:
    james40 said:
    Usaf06 said:
    james40 said:

I'm sure I can find something to cheer you up
    and just like that this turns into a "bomb @james40" thread. 
    -- "There's something that doesn't make sense. Let's go poke it with a stick."
  • BigDaddyBigDaddy Posts: 124 ✭✭✭
    In the past 3 years only 2-4 cigars a year when playing golf and whatever the course had. I just loved the way a cigar smelled.  But because I had know idea what I was doing, I don't count those years.  The summer of 2015 I really started to get into it and do my research. The deeper I dug the more I was fascinated with the whole process and I wanted more. The wife wasn't so good with it at first. Never thought I would have my own humidor. But, she is more relaxed with it now and for Father's Day and my birthday she and my son bought be a 130 count humidor. It's really nice.  Still learning and still loving it. But I just have to talk her into to getting those BBF Cubans. 

Funny thing. In the beginning I didn't have a cutter, so I would ram a golf tee into the head to open a passage. Man I was green. Lol 
    Danny B
    Very imaginative. I've been known to use my teeth back in those circumstances.
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    45 years.  Started to have cough, wheeze, hack up brown stuff a few years back, so I quit cigarettes.  No more problems.  Average 1 - 2 pipes and 2 cigars a day.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • RolanddeschainRolanddeschain Posts: 898 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Almost 1.5 months......before that maybe 5 in 20 years. I'm noticing the hit to my wallet but really nothing else.
    Long days and pleasant nights,

Roland
  • MoleRatMoleRat Posts: 86 ✭✭✭
    About 20 years, I started late in life. 
  • Ryan1990Ryan1990 Posts: 526 ✭✭✭✭
    Been smoking cigars for 8 years and the only effect it's had on my health is bad breath. I've probably averaged 1 a week over that time.
  • skydiverDskydiverD Posts: 2,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2016
    4-5 smokes a year (I was that guy mooching at events) for years. Took it up as a hobby in 2014 after a trip to Germany smoking Cubans every night for a week. Nowadays I average 5-6 a week. Today was a double whammy!  Yes!!!  (And now I'm that guy dry begging for as much as I can get here) ;)

Anybody ever try.......
    How do you like my profile pic Taborski?   @matkn293          
    So I get a some cigars I ordered from our great host CCOM and also in it is a card for 75% off prescription meds. WTH! Not kidding.