Home Non Cigar Related
Options

Rust removal

Hey smarties,

I have a 5th wheel hitch and receiver that has the paint flaking off and is accumulating some rust. I'd like to remove the rust and repaint but I wasn't sure if I needed to do something special.

I don't know what kind of metal is but my plan was to buy some wire brushes and hand scrub everything and then buy some spray paint and repaint.

If anyone has any experience with this, can you evaluate my plan and let me know if it's good or if you would recommend any changes?

Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    sounds like a good plan --- hand scrubbing can be a pain-in-the-rear depending on how big of an area you have to clean. 
    a paint scraper or steel wool are good tools to use as well.

and depending on what the metal looks like after the rust is gone, you may want to hand sand it with a fine grain sandpaper to smooth out the surafce.

also be sure to apply a high quality primer before painting, that should help extend the life of your repair. 

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• Options
    skweekzskweekz Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭
    I've heard using Coke a cola will remove rust
  • Options
    90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are a lot of products out for this exact thing, and I would recommend looking into a rust inhibitor. It's a brush on product that neutralizes and removes the rust. Then you clean and scuff the surface and paint. An alternative is something like POR-15 which paints directly into the rust and stops and neutralizes it and coats in paint all at the same time. If you need or want anymore info just let me know James. Eastwood is the place I use for anything like this, hope it helps!

Brett
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
  • Options
    0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Start with Ospho rust remover. We use it on the fishing vessels. Once that has set up, you can paint over it.
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • Options
    Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    Fine grit sandpaper is the only true way if you want to paint it. Everything else will leave something behind that you don't want to trap and seal in there.
    Money can't buy taste
  • Options
    ExpendableYouthExpendableYouth Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Por-15 is pretty amazing stuff, but its expensive.
  • Options
    tabakotabako Posts: 365 ✭✭✭
    POR-15 is great stuff. Val Spar makes something similar for less, but IMHO you get what you pay for with POR. It is UV sensitive, so ideally you should top coat it
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,917
    Thanks fellas. I'm gonna work on it this weekend.