Home Cigar 101

Cedar wrapped cigars, any special instructions?

RolanddeschainRolanddeschain Posts: 898 ✭✭✭✭✭
I've recently purchased a box of cigars which are cedar wrapped. Is there any special instructions for keeping them in my humidor? I would assume the cedar helps hold their humidity a little easier.
Long days and pleasant nights,

Roland

Comments

• peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,320 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You'll hear opinions on both sides, and both make sense.

My take is that cedar is way more decorative than functional, and if there's even a slight chance that a sleeve around my cigar can promote mold or moisture problems because of the trapped air/enclosed space, then I'm pulling off the cedar sleeve before I store it.  I admit that's a little paranoid, but I see no reason to leave them on just so they can look purdy...  they have to come off before you smoke the cigars anyway, may as well come off right away.
    "I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,917
    Same as Peter. ---^

Some Fuentes have been known to develop mold under cedar. If you are going to age these for a long time, I'd yank em off, otherwise you should be fine if it's just for a few months. 

Congrats on in the box purchase. 
  • RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't leave them in sleeves or tubes just because of the chance of mold. 
  • tabakotabako Posts: 365 ✭✭✭
    I agree with Peter, they have to come off eventually, might as well be right away. No sense risking a couple hundred bucks worth of cigars!
  • Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    However and also,.....If you keep cedar sleeved sticks in a tubo, the two different mold enhancers cancel each other out. No mold, guaranteed.
  • johnnyBjohnnyB Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭✭✭
    How about the uncle Lee's , do you guys take the wrap off of these?
    Non Crux sed lux
  • 90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't personally no. 

Brett
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
  • Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    Cedar needs to go as said tubes are iffy at best but pretty much all the rest of the wrapper/cello stuff is fine. There is one tube that I really like though and that is daviddoffs! It has a cut out so it will let the tube breath and they are just a great idea!
    Money can't buy taste
    Haven't seen that Lee, only seen the wood tubes on some th the Thousand series which is way kewl!

Brett
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
  • 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • Ryan1990Ryan1990 Posts: 526 ✭✭✭✭
    That's... awesome?
  • peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,320 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd have to give that a try to see whether or not the 1/4" of cedar being burned and drawing its smoke through the cigar does anything to the flavor.
    "I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ryan1990 said:
    That's... awesome?
    I'd be afraid of lighting the whole thing on fire and ruining everything.
    I'd be the guy stoping out the fire I created trying that.
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • YaksterYakster Posts: 25,530 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm not sure what to think, never seen it lit that way before. Seems like a lot of ash and burning cedar when he unwraps it to toss the cedar. 
    I'll gladly bomb you Tuesday for an Opus today. 

Join us on the New Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • dirtdudedirtdude Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭✭✭
    what if there was mold under there
    A little dirt never hurt
  • WylaffWylaff Posts: 5,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It would be just like a cedar spill, would it not?
    "Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...
    I struggle to call that a "perfectly lit cigar" lol, but a neat party trick then yeah sure thing. I wouldn't have an issue if he had just taken off and as Wayne said use it as a cedar spill, just not my cup of tea with it still on the stick. 

Brett
  • Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    @90+_Irishman on the thousand series if you have any you will notice I sliver of the tube is cut out...rotate the tube and it will expose the cedar. It's for storage and travel. 
    Money can't buy taste
    Neat thanks Lee!

Brett