Home Cigar 101

Retrohaling

Ryan1990Ryan1990 Posts: 526 ✭✭✭✭
Anyone else have trouble retrohaling? I'm not able to exhale through my nose unless I inhale smoke, which is obviously not very enjoyable. I watched about 5 how-to videos now, but I'm not able to do it. Is this common or is there something wrong with my olfactory situation?
Tagged:

Comments

• peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,318 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2016
    Try getting a mouthful of smoke and holding it.  Then inhale/exhale using only your nose, holding the smoke in your mouth, and finally releasing the smoke in your mouth out of your mouth.  Do that a few times, and then once you have the hang of that, get a half mouthful of smoke and try retro-ing again.  That's how I taught myself to do it.
    "I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It makes me sneeze. 
    Some folks are sensitive and just aren't able to do it.
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • johnnyBjohnnyB Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I also struggle with this,seems to burn my nose every time. 
    Non Crux sed lux
  • Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    peter4jc said:
    Try getting a mouthful and holding it.  Then in your mouth, and out of your mouth.  Do that a few times, and, get mouthful.  That's how to do it.

Edited for immature content. 

• peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,318 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good thing you didn't bring that up in TN, is all I can say.
    "I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
    OK @Ryan1990. Your question is interesting.  So, I gotta ask, in your retrohale process, when and how are you inhaling smoke? Be specific. I can't imagine what the problem could be. The only thing I can guess,....... nevermind. I'm not gonna guess. You tell us.  
    peter4jc said:
    Good thing you didn't bring that up in TN, is all I can say.
    You no ask. I no tell. 
  • Ryan1990Ryan1990 Posts: 526 ✭✭✭✭
    @Bob_Luken

I've never successfully gotten smoke to come out of my nose with a cigar. I can do it without fail with a cigarette, but only if I inhale. 

I can hold cigar smoke in my mouth and inhale and exhale through my nose with no issues whatsoever. But it's like there is no way for the smoke to get from my mouth to my nose without breathing it into my lungs.
  • miller65rodmiller65rod Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think cigarettes smokers have a harder issue with this. I used to have problems as well when I first started smoking cigars, but slowly over time I can do it with ease. Of course I had a few times when I was huff'n a full out Maduro that went the wrong way. Not a great feeling for sure. You will get it over time I bet. 
    Free Cuba
    "I ain't got no Opus's"
    LLA
    - Lancero Lovers of America
    2016 Gang War (South)
    May I assss u a ?

• Ryan1990Ryan1990 Posts: 526 ✭✭✭✭
    @miller65rod

Thanks, man. I was practicing with a Padron maduro toro last night. Not my brightest idea. I'll try again with a Hemingway or something and see how it goes.

Appreciate everybody's help!
  • CigarPunkCigarPunk Posts: 826 ✭✭✭✭
    @Ryan1990 get a mouth full of smoke. Hold your tounge against top of mouth tighten lips exhale pushing from your throat. 
  • KCWKCW Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭
    johnnyB said:
    I also struggle with this,seems to burn my nose every time. 
    Try doing it with a smaller amount of smoke. Find the amount of smoke you can Retrohale (without burning your nose) until you get used to it. I don't Retrohale the entire "Draw" I take off a cigar. I expel most of it (through my mouth) and Retrohale the rest (a comfortable amount).
  • johnnyBjohnnyB Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I will give that a shot, thank you for the advice  @KCW
    Non Crux sed lux
  • RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2016
    It used to burn the devil out of my nose when I first started to. Now it's really got to be some cigar to do that. 
  • ClansmanClansman Posts: 5
    I tried several times today to figure this out too. It must take practice.
  • webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pat your head with your left hand while rubbing your belly counter clockwise with your left hand while blowing smoke out your nose. EZ street.
    “It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It does take getting used to, and like KCW said it's typically not pleasant to retro the entire draw. Take a puff, let some out, then exhale through the nose.  I usually only retro towards the tail end of letting the smoke out. 

Another method I've been using is to slowly let the smoke out of your mouth, using your cheeks to push it out while breathing in through the nose. 

LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I found it to make it easier if, just before trying to blow it out your nose, swallow while the smoke is in your mouth. That'll close off your throat (like when you inhale weed smoke) then exhale through your nose. 
  • TaraLeeTaraLee Posts: 179 ✭✭✭
    Lots of great tips! One thing I do, since I'm still kinda new at it, is to test the bite of it with a small inhale... If it's gentle enough, I'll retrohale.
    For me, I seem to: draw a smaller amount of the smoke in, pressing my tongue kinda out of the way, I pause (I think this must allow to cool or something), then push my tongue to the back my palate while exhaling through my nose. 
    I hope this helps too. I think if you keep trying you'll find out what works for you. 
  • arch72arch72 Posts: 772 ✭✭✭✭
  • LakadianLakadian Posts: 9
    @arch72 Yep...as a newbie - I learned this within a few minutes. Not too hard, but what a punch it brings if you're not used to the smoke during exhale via the nose.  Thanks for the video!
  • edelrionycedelrionyc Posts: 361 ✭✭✭
    First get yourself a good mild cigar.  Pull on it till you have a bit of smoke in your mouth. Have the smoke sit on your tongue.  Using your tongue push the smoke towards the back roof of your mouth and exhale through your nose at the same time.  Should work.
  • Gaetano7890Gaetano7890 Posts: 800 ✭✭✭
    I know I'm late to the party but I figured I will give a little info if anyone is still having trouble.  I retrohale 95% of my cigars I love the burn but I have issues.  Milder cigars may help at first or try the middle of whatever your smoking,  after the pepper has wore off some.  I don't think it should matter where the smoke is just take a hard puff keep your mouth closed and exhale throw your nose.   
  • OdinsonOdinson Posts: 9
    I'll admit that I've never gotten how some guys say they can't retrohale. I do a least a little with almost every puff, always have. Never gave it any thought, and I never was a cigarette smoker.

How can you taste the cigar without blowing smoke through your nose?

Oh well, I've never been able to whistle. I suppose telling non-retrohalers to just "close your mouth and blow through your nose" is like when people tell me to "just pucker your lips and blow". It just doesn't work.
  • OdinsonOdinson Posts: 9
    That's what she said
    edited January 2017
    Everybody uses their nose to taste the cigar even if they don't retro the smoke. Try holding your nose while you smoke and that will prove it. More often than not, I don't blow smoke out through my nose unless I DO think about it, but I still get a flavor boost on my palate if I exhale the next (non-smoke) breath through the nose. 
    Post edited by Bob_Luken on
  • RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My best smoking buddy can't do it. Even though he's been smoking cigars for years now. I never gave it any thought myself. Just came naturally. Just close the mouth and blow out your nose. 
  • clearlysuspectclearlysuspect Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭✭
    I definitely think the key is to start with the mildest cigar possible.  Don't go grab a MoW Ruination and think it's going to be a breeze.  I've often referred to Macanudo's as "Cigar Lites" so grab any one of those and it should be easier.  I also like the idea of practicing with just air first.  One last note, the tiniest amount of smoke will do; don't try to push the whole cloud out your nose.  All you're trying for is to introduce the smoke to the nostrils; mine is probably 5% nose and 95% exhale.
  • clearlysuspectclearlysuspect Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭✭
    I think I found the perfect cigar for anyone practicing this. 

C'est La Vie Natural cigars.  Super mild, no pepper or spice throughout.  Not bad flavors.