Home Non Cigar Related

Anyone can/perserve food?

MikeToddMikeTodd Posts: 974 ✭✭✭✭✭
I was going to title this "The Pickle Factory".
Enjoying the first fruits of our labor! The pickle factory is open! Today we are canning Garlic Dill Pickle spears and Bread N Butter pickles!

Comments

• jarublajarubla Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks good!
    “There’ll be two dates on your tombstone and all your friends will read ’em but all that’s gonna matter is that little dash between ’em.” -Kevin Welch
  • jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mmmmm!!  Loves me summa dem bread 'n butter pickles....  :p
  • peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,319 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks like fun, Mike.

I remember helping my mom can produce from the garden when we were growing up.  Lots of work, but what stands out in my mind is big pots full of boiling water on a hot/humid summer day in the days before A/C.
    "I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • MikeToddMikeTodd Posts: 974 ✭✭✭✭✭
    peter4jc said:
    Looks like fun, Mike.

I remember helping my mom can produce from the garden when we were growing up.  Lots of work, but what stands out in my mind is big pots full of boiling water on a hot/humid summer day in the days before A/C.
    Yeah, we didn't want to kill the AC so we just had the fan going. Now it is time to cool down.
    13 quarts and 16 pints. Just the tip of the iceberg!! 

• WaterNerdWaterNerd Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow you had a great crop this year!  Those are going to make great gifts for family and friends. Last year I made 12 quarts and gave most away as gifts to friends.  :)
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt
    — Abraham Lincoln

• jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yep. It was a summertime ritual/necessity at our house. We lived at the corner of Poverty and Drudgery.....   B)
  • CigarPunkCigarPunk Posts: 826 ✭✭✭✭
    I did so.much canning as a kid I told myself I would never can as an adult. However I do miss the pickles and beans and peaches so much might just break down and start some.
  • 90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That looks like a ton of work, but it also looks incredibly rewarding to have such delicious and fresh canned veggies wow!

Brett
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
  • Devildog1Devildog1 Posts: 931 ✭✭✭✭✭
    MikeTodd said:
    peter4jc said:
    Looks like fun, Mike.

Yeah, we didn't want to kill the AC so we just had the fan going. Now it is time to cool down.
    I usually break on the turkey fryer base and put the canning pot on it outside. 
  • dirtdudedirtdude Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I love a crunchy pickled bean in my bloody mary
    A little dirt never hurt
    First of the year! Pickled Bantam Eggs!

• clearlysuspectclearlysuspect Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭✭
    Grandma who recently passed away always made the very best pickles.  I've seen people literally fight over them.  While family members mourned and several people made pleas for little possessions of hers that they'd like to keep, be it photos or the family crest, I quietly snuck into the cellar...
  • Diver43Diver43 Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Grandma who recently passed away always made the very best pickles.  I've seen people literally fight over them.  While family members mourned and several people made pleas for little possessions of hers that they'd like to keep, be it photos or the family crest, I quietly snuck into the cellar...

If I had not been stationed over seas at the time of his passing, I would have done the same to get Grandpa's wine from the basement.

By the time I got there, it was all gone, but nobody seemed to know where it went??

Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've got a wall mounted Slim Jim dispenser in the garage. Every garage should have one. These stix are like two years past the eat by date. Still eat good. That count?
    “It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)