Home Cigar 101

New humidor for me.

Cigar-743065Cigar-743065 Posts: 4
Good morning everyone.  I'm hoping to find someone to help me with my new humidor. I know its going to take a while to get it right and that's fine with me.  My boss gave me a large one from where he came from that is much bigger than the 3 little boxes I have now. I need some expert advice on getting this thing seasoned, set and ready to store my sticks.  I don't mind spending the money to get it there if I have to I just want it right so I can get rid of theae little boxes and enjoy looking at my cigars and know that they are in good shape. I have pictures but have know clue if you can upload on here. If you want to private email me for the pictures I'm fine with that. The dimensions of the humidor is 18" deep, 32" wide, 5'8" tall, with 48"of usable space. There are ports through out the cabinet I am guessing for the humidifier to circulating air to be pushed around. 
Again any help is greatly appreciated.  Thanks in advance. 
Will

Comments

• WylaffWylaff Posts: 5,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is a MASSIVE gap between the doors. My friend, I'm afraid that thing might never be stable enough for use. If you want to proceed your first step would be getting that taken care of so it is air tight.
    "Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...
  • miller65rodmiller65rod Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What is going on with the bottom wood? It looks like it is water stained and possible mold. Hard to tell in the pics but if that is the case you have a serious issue and you need to correct that before you do anything else.

It also looks like the wood shelves are too wet. I wouldn't use the wipe method. Your's looks like a soak method. Running the humidification device alone would season it over time. That is the best method. Go slow and you will be rewarded. I can only go by what I am seeing though. Too many rush to season a humidor and this step is the most critical if you ask me. 
    Free Cuba
    "I ain't got no Opus's"
    LLA
    - Lancero Lovers of America
    2016 Gang War (South)
    May I assss u a ?

• jarublajarubla Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Wylaff has a keen eye--does the door have a gap? If so you'll need to get it sealed with a low VOC compound sealer or a strip of Spanish cedar (or both).

@miller65rod is correct on the mold; if you have it, make sure it is all cleaned out or it will ruin your inventory.

For a humi that big, the PITA is going to be getting the humidity right. Cigar oasis will help, but it could be done with bovedas if your inventory was higher, and the sticks were already humidified. 

You've got an adventure on your hands! Keep us posted on the progress
    “There’ll be two dates on your tombstone and all your friends will read ’em but all that’s gonna matter is that little dash between ’em.” -Kevin Welch
  • dirtdudedirtdude Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2016
    the gap in the doors was my first concern but on closer inspection there is some type of seal there, it has a lighter color in places that made it look like there was nothing. Damn that sucker is huge
    A little dirt never hurt
    If that's the case the next step would be the mold and moisture (unless those are stain marks?). I would sand everything on the inside down to fresh wood if it were mine.
    "Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...
  • 90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Wylaff totally agree, I would be refinishing it since I don't trust anything like that before since it wasn't in my care and I couldn't vouch for how it was taken care of.

Brett
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
  • CigarPunkCigarPunk Posts: 826 ✭✭✭✭
    The other thing I notice is that I do not see any room for air circulation. It may just be the picture but it looks like it would be hard to keep humidity levels even between shelves. 
  • Cigar-743065Cigar-743065 Posts: 4
    I have cleaned the inside 3 times so far. No mold that I can find. The seams where the doors close have a green felt. I would like to get rid of it just to make sure its new and air tight. Suggestions of material?  As far as air flow I'm guessing with the storage area below the 3 inch hole is for something like a dryer vent hose to push air into the chamber behind the shelves. There is a cavity about 3 inchs deep behind the shelves for this and every other shelve has ports built in. I'll add a couple more photos to see if that helps.  Thanks again.
    I'm not seeing anything covering the gap between the doors.

• miller65rodmiller65rod Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You are using distilled water aren't you?

Post a pic when it dries out, that wood looks stained to me and that is not a good thing. Over saturation which will promote mold. 
    Free Cuba
    "I ain't got no Opus's"
    LLA
    - Lancero Lovers of America
    2016 Gang War (South)
    May I assss u a ?

• avengethisavengethis Posts: 5,686 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah besides it looking overly most on the shelves would suggest extras fans to help move air around as well as cut slits in the shelves to allow better circulation.

For the door seal you could use some door gasket material to help get a good seal.
    Team O'Donnell FTW!

"I've got a great cigar collection - it's actually not a collection, because that would imply I wasn't going to smoke ever last one of 'em." - Ron White
  • NorthsideSmokeNorthsideSmoke Posts: 515 ✭✭✭✭
    Wylaff said:
    I'm not seeing anything covering the gap between the doors.
    I would bet the left side door has the flat edge that seals the right side door.

It looks like a fun restore project to me. Are those shelves wet? I think once you get it sealed it would be better to just let your humidification system run for a couple of weeks until you get your humidity level where you want it.

Those holes in the back seem strange to me are hoses supposed to run behind the cabinet? I think that would look odd since it would have to be away from the wall to work. I suppose you could put it in a corner. Did it come with any other pieces? 
    The 11/2" holes lead into an air chamber that feeds from the 3 inch hole from the bottom of the cabinet. Im trying to figure out what type of air system to put in there. The existing was vent pipe like dryer vent that was hooked up to the humidifier and pushed air into the chamber that in turn pushed air out of the smaller holes. The suggestions i have been given have been to let the humidifier run below and let a 120mm pc fan push air around instead of using a hose.
    I understand now. I am not going to pretend I know. But I might try to do it more like they had it set up and plumb PVC to the 3" hole and try to push the air into the cavity. But I am known for over complicating things :) 
    Lol roger that. Me too. Leave it to me and I'll hook up co2 and helium and pipe in deionized water from one of the labs here at work.
    Even that name is over complicated ;)

• RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    With that humidification unit I don't understand the need for all those holes except for the 4 on the bottom shelf. That unit should have a built in fan for circulation. I've seen many in bigger humidors than that and they didn't need to alter anything. I think whoever had it before just made it more complicated than it needs to be. 
    Lol roger that. Me too. Leave it to me and I'll hook up co2 and helium and pipe in deionized water from one of the labs here at work.
    How is this project progressing?