Home General Discussion

New to forum

Hi, I just discovered the forum today, and read about 75 posts! Wonderful forum,
wish I had discovered it sooner.

let me introduce myself as Hogandoc. I'm sort of a doc, a dentist to be exact, and
i was watching an old favorite rerun "hogans heroes" on tv when I came up with the name.

I'm almost 50, and have been enjoying cigars for about 30 years. I'm a Cessna pilot as a hobby, a railfan, and gun enthusiast. I recently switched over from a S&W .40 to a Glock 20 10mm with extended barrel, and just had a great day at the range. 

I started enjoying Zino cigars, then pleadies & Hoya de Nicaragua, but now my favorites are Diamond Crowns, anything from Aging Room, RP, and Montecristo whites. 

I live in in the very center of Pennsylvania, but I travel all over. Some favorite smoking places include JR in Whippany, NJ, Leaf in Allentown,Cigar Inn in NYC,  Ybor City, cigar cutters barbershop in Fort Myers, Brick cigar bar in OKC, and a few places in Vegas and Pittsburgh area. I've been to the cigar festival at the Pepin facility in Ybor, and just attended my first cigar fest at Split Rock this spring, where I got to meet not only Rocky, but also Raphael Nodal, founder of aging room cigars. My wife is also a cigar smoker ( and a Glock girl), but only occasionally. Still, she enduldges me and goes along to cigar lounges when we travel. 

We just signed up for CigarDave's Buffalo Smoke on the Water event on August 13, and
may go on the RP cigar cruise next February. 

Thank you for reading this far, I am usually not this wordy.

Comments

• Puff_DougiePuff_Dougie Posts: 4,599 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome, @Hogandoc! This truly is a great forum with some of the best folks you'll ever meet. Glad to have you aboard 

What cigar spots in the Pittsburgh area do you go to? I live in Latrobe.
    "When I have found intense pain relieved, a weary brain soothed, and calm, refreshing sleep obtained by a cigar, I have felt grateful to God, and have blessed His name." - Charles Haddon Spurgeon
  • HogandocHogandoc Posts: 10
    Hi Puff_Dougie,

i used to live in Pittsburgh, and went to Bloom cigar & the shop in Station Square back then; I liked Latitude 40 out in Robinson twp, but just stopped there 2 weeks ago & found they closed for some PLCB violation. I like the shop inside the Robinson mall, Leaf & Bean in the strip, but haven't tried the Cippiono bar yet. Excited to try RP Burn when they open. Of course being a railfan, I stop at D'Salvos Station in Latrobe any chance I can.

• johnnyBjohnnyB Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome  @Hogandoc
    Happy to have you aboard,sit back enjoy the ride. Forum newsletter is a must  
    Non Crux sed lux
  • genareddoggenareddog Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    sounds like you've found a new home.  Welcome!
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • RolanddeschainRolanddeschain Posts: 898 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome!!
    Long days and pleasant nights,

Roland
  • Puff_DougiePuff_Dougie Posts: 4,599 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hogandoc said:
    Hi Puff_Dougie,

i used to live in Pittsburgh, and went to Bloom cigar & the shop in Station Square back then; I liked Latitude 40 out in Robinson twp, but just stopped there 2 weeks ago & found they closed for some PLCB violation. I like the shop inside the Robinson mall, Leaf & Bean in the strip, but haven't tried the Cippiono bar yet. Excited to try RP Burn when they open. Of course being a railfan, I stop at D'Salvos Station in Latrobe any chance I can.

Nice! I live 3 blocks away from Joey D's. You'll have to let me know next time you plan to be there. 
    "When I have found intense pain relieved, a weary brain soothed, and calm, refreshing sleep obtained by a cigar, I have felt grateful to God, and have blessed His name." - Charles Haddon Spurgeon
  • 90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome @Hogandoc damn glad to have you here and sounds like you will fit in just fine, some great smokes you enjoy and some other terrific hobbies as well!

My little guy is a huge rail fan and is in love with anything trains, because of that I've started to get into them as well as we do more and more together. Live in Loveland and we have the hub for the Great Western Railway here which is really cool and gave a tour to my boy ;)

Brett
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
  • jarublajarubla Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome @Hogandoc
    “There’ll be two dates on your tombstone and all your friends will read ’em but all that’s gonna matter is that little dash between ’em.” -Kevin Welch
  • Rockethead26Rockethead26 Posts: 296 ✭✭✭✭
    Welcome, Hogandoc! Great place here!
    Life is good, don't waste it.
    My wife says I'm a man of many small bad habits. 

I can can live with that.
  • StubbleStubble Posts: 8,177 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome!
    Hey, you gonna eat the rest of that corndog?
  • YaksterYakster Posts: 25,527 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome aboard, @Hogandoc
    I'll gladly bomb you Tuesday for an Opus today. 

Join us on the New Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • Usaf06Usaf06 Posts: 10,932 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome to the party
    "I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
    -- Winston Churchill

"LET'S GO FRANCIS"     Peter

• Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome, @Hogandoc
  • dirtdudedirtdude Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome
    A little dirt never hurt
  • CigarPunkCigarPunk Posts: 826 ✭✭✭✭
    Sounds like you will fit in just fine.. welcome to the forum and enjoy the trip.
  • twistedstemtwistedstem Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Image result for  welcome to the asylum  banner
    no matter where you go, there you are.

• AlbinfkAlbinfk Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome.
    Thanks to all for the warm welcome!

just enjoyed a RP prohibition broadleaf today at Tobacco Company Cigars 
    lounge in Harrisburg East.

Picked up someone at Philly airport this morning, and stopped on my way back. The airport was crazy with security for the Dem. Convention starting, FBI & State Police all over the place. 

Enjoying a cigar after that was, soothing.

• NolagizmoNolagizmo Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome.

Enjoying a cigar is always soothing imo. Strap in and enjoy the ride, prepare to meet some of the coolest cigar smokers around. I hear PA is a good place to be if you are a cigar smoker. You must get around plenty with your own plane. Look forward to seeing you through out the forum.
    "Come party with me in Tennessee for my birthday July we can smoke in the Smokey's."
  • 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I didn't read most of your post, but Welcome to the forum.

In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • tabakotabako Posts: 365 ✭✭✭
    Welcome! You sound like a man with a lot of stories to tell and I look forward to hearing them. 
    Thanks, seems like a lot of great stories here, and what a resource ! Wonder what the combined years of experience are on this board. 
    I have a few stories, lots of good ones, and one real sad one, for another time. 

Enjying reading through all all the posts .
  • Ryan1990Ryan1990 Posts: 526 ✭✭✭✭
    Welcome @Hogandoc!

Had a grandpa from Pittsburgh - Coraopolis, to be exact - and I use to listen to the Blowin' Smoke podcast way back when. Seems like a really great cigar community in PA!