Home Non Cigar Related

Audio Books

tabakotabako Posts: 365 ✭✭✭
Traffic in the Puget Sound sucks so I have taken to listening to Audio Books. Just wondered if there were any others that do as well? I mostly listen to Mysteries and Thrillers, but occasionally run across some more "serious" literature. Sure makes the time and tension go on those 2 1/2 hour, 40 mile trips in rush hour.

Comments

• WylaffWylaff Posts: 5,270 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm a fan of the Dr Who audio stories. The newer ones are ready by the actors that play the doctors.
    "Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...
  • tabakotabako Posts: 365 ✭✭✭
    Never watched or listened to them, but heard from a few fans that have. Maybe I'll look for the books or DVDs. I am going in for double knee replacement surgery on 8/8, so I am stocking up on books, movies, and getting all my computer Projects set up.
  • EchambersEchambers Posts: 4,178 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I tend to listen to podcasts when I go on long drives. This American Life is my favorite
    -- "There's something that doesn't make sense. Let's go poke it with a stick."
    I have listened to that! Interesting stuff. If I'm listening to radio, it's most often KNPR, the local Public Radio station.
  • webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Best I ever listened to was A Brief History of Time by Hawking, on the way to Pittsburgh. I never would have read it; but it was mind opening on tape. Drive 7 hours rapt, then sat in the motel parking lot for the chapter to end.

I haven't been there in ages, but once upon a time I started putting together a bunch of first hand accounts, such as Julius Caesar, Xenophon, Froissart, Notker the Stammerer, the pirate Esquemeling, Job Horton who escaped the Inquisition, Carpini sent by the Pope to tell the Mongol khan to knock it off, etc. They're free at laterdude.com ... I should go back and complete that site.

Have you tried audiovox?

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• dirtdudedirtdude Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭✭✭
    no experience with audiobooks but feel your pain with Puget Sound traffic, Federal Way to Olympia was 2 1/2 hours a couple weeks ago, used to be an hour drive back in the day
    A little dirt never hurt
  • 2deep4air2deep4air Posts: 11
    I live in the Puget Sound area and agree that the traffic is the worst. I spend a lot of time on the road, but hadn't thought of the audio book thing. Great idea!
    Any road warriors on the forum?
  • EchambersEchambers Posts: 4,178 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I work from home but spend about to nights away each month 
    -- "There's something that doesn't make sense. Let's go poke it with a stick."
  • YankeeManYankeeMan Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was always afraid to try them in the car for fear they might put me to sleep.  I gave them a try when I first moved down here and was going back up north every other weekend.

I found they were great actually kept me more alert.  I love mysteries and crime novels, so that's what I usually got.
  • raisindotraisindot Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭
    Audible.com offers a trial membership where you can sometimes get a couple downloads for free. I listen to audiobooks when I'm running to relieve the boredom. One of the best bangs for the buck are any of the George R.R. Martin "Tales of Fire and Ice" series. Each book is about 14-16 hours long.