Home Non Cigar Related

What's with Yeti brand hysteria?

Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
The coolers are stupid expensive but made to last a lifetime. Got it. But, how does that translate to "TAKE MY MONEY PLEASE!!!! I'll pay $20-$30 bucks for the privilege of wearing a hat or a t-shirt with a YETI logo on it!" "Oh and it'll be a joy to also pay YETI five bucks to let ME promote THEM with a decal on my truck!"

????

Reminds me of the "North Face Fleece" invasion. They make high-end mountain climbing and outdoor gear. (I think.) Why does almost EVERY fat-ass-Bubba in Dixie need a North Face Fleece? 

If Yeti GAVE me a hat I might wear it. I might also take a marker and write free hat on it just so everyone wouldn't think I paid good money on it. 

Comments

• WylaffWylaff Posts: 5,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...
  • PatrickbrickPatrickbrick Posts: 7,722 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Damn yuppies.  
    "We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give".  Winston Churchill.
    MOW badge received.
  • Ryan1990Ryan1990 Posts: 526 ✭✭✭✭
    I completely agree with the sentiment and the blind lemming-like following of the brand. It's incredibly off-putting.

BUT

I got a YETI cooler as a gift recently and it is awesome. So if you're someone who frequently uses a cooler (beach, camping, boating, etc.), they're pretty great.
  • YaksterYakster Posts: 25,529 ✭✭✭✭✭
    These seem cool, a bit over the top, though.

http://coolest.com/
    I'll gladly bomb you Tuesday for an Opus today. 

Join us on the New Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've long-since refused to wear ANY branded merchandise. No Nike Swoosh, no Yeti, nunnadat crap. If they wish to pay me to advertise for them I may reconsider. 

Uddawise, like they say in Chicago (or so I'm told) Fugeddaboudit...  B)
  • Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    raisindot said:
    This whole subject made me so hot and bothered that I had to remove my $12 Budweiser-branded baseball cap and $16 Nike-branded shirt, grab a cigar from my $50 5-Vegas branded humidor and light it up with my $20 Drew Estate- branded lighter. The absolute GALL of Yeti! :D  
    I don't hold nuthin' against Yeti. If I could make money off stupid people disposing of their hard earned money on hats t-shirts and decals. I'd be doin' it too. 

Speaking of such. Can you send me a pic of you shirtless and hatless smoking that cigar? Might be some kinda' market for that. Ya never know. 

Yeti tumbler vs Orca vs Walmart's Ozark Trail

https://youtu.be/enBQ_v3NSwM
  • Ryan1990Ryan1990 Posts: 526 ✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, I saw that. My dad got so excited he went out and bought like 4 of the Ozark Trail ones the next day.
    Yeti knows I'm talkin' 'bout 'em.
    I got amazon deals on Yeti hats popping up now :(
  • raisindotraisindot Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭
    Bob_Luken said:
    raisindot said:
    This whole subject made me so hot and bothered that I had to remove my $12 Budweiser-branded baseball cap and $16 Nike-branded shirt, grab a cigar from my $50 5-Vegas branded humidor and light it up with my $20 Drew Estate- branded lighter. The absolute GALL of Yeti! :D  
    I don't hold nuthin' against Yeti. If I could make money off stupid people disposing of their hard earned money on hats t-shirts and decals. I'd be doin' it too. 

Speaking of such. Can you send me a pic of you shirtless and hatless smoking that cigar? Might be some kinda' market for that. Ya never know. 
    I would, but all 50 states and several territories have filed injunctions forbidding me from doing so. Something about causing seizures and irreparable damage to corneas and visual cortices. Personally, I think the whole thing is overblown. It was just that one time and she wasn't exactly a Playboy centerfold herself. 
  • CigarPunkCigarPunk Posts: 826 ✭✭✭✭
    I use the walmart Ozark trail everyday. Great cup 9.99 at Walmart in camping section.  Holds ice for over 24 hours and does not sweat
  • CharlieHeisCharlieHeis Posts: 8,144 ✭✭✭✭✭
    CigarPunk said:
    I use the walmart Ozark trail everyday. Great cup 9.99 at Walmart in camping section.  Holds ice for over 24 hours and does not sweat
    I avoid walmart but I may have to grab one of these.
  • webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bob_Luken said:

Yeti tumbler vs Orca vs Walmart's Ozark Trail

https://youtu.be/enBQ_v3NSwM
    Yabbut... I'm thinkin that 56 hours later, your beer would be almost gone no matter which cup you put it in. 56 hours? Who needs that? Either I was thirsty or it wasn't worth drinking.

It's like driving your Lotus on an LA freeway at rush hour. 
    “It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• CigarPunkCigarPunk Posts: 826 ✭✭✭✭
    It's worth the trip.  I also hate walmart. 
  • webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeti?   Haven't seen one.
    “It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• bert873bert873 Posts: 2,561 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I use the ozark trail cups. They are awesome. I have a 30oz and then got a 20oz for coffee which it keeps hot for hours. If you get sidetracked as easily as I do and forget you made coffee it's nice to go back to it and still have it nice and hot. 
  • SasquatchSasquatch Posts: 307 ✭✭✭
    That no good dirty rotten scoundrel of a distant cousin!! He still will not return the lawnmower or the $20 he borrowed, yet he is making money hand over fist with the new craze.
    Good products work as advertised from what I hear. Are they worth the money??(depends on person) Are they $175 better than a coleman??
  • matkn293matkn293 Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭✭✭
     I agree with the ridiculousness of the Yeti (and some other brand crazes)  The test above was BS.  They have the Orca as the one that is the least favorable but what they dont mention is how much capacity each one holds.  The Orca is the smallest one out of the 3 so naturally it will be empty first.  I actually have an Orca and it is great (got it free from work).  Hell, my cocktail only lasts 10-15 minutes so I am not worried about having ice for 24 hours or more.  

Life is too short to smoke bad cigars!!!

Oh when the Blues, Oh when the Blues, Oh when the Blues go marching in!

• avengethisavengethis Posts: 5,686 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I dont have a Yeti cooler but I do have a competitors version.  I have the large one so I can put some ice in it with a quartered out deer and keep it at camp and continue to hunt.  I also use it in the hot summer days when I'm out on the boat fishing.  Have to keep that bait and fish cold otherwise they go bad.  It might be overkill for fishing but since i have it for shutting I get my use out of it.
    Team O'Donnell FTW!

"I've got a great cigar collection - it's actually not a collection, because that would imply I wasn't going to smoke ever last one of 'em." - Ron White
  • jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    you're telling me that popular companies will sell merchandise with their logo on it?

no chit?

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

jgibv said:
    you're telling me that popular companies will sell merchandise with their logo on it?

no chit?
    Nope, what I'm tellin' you is I think it's dumb to BUY hats and t-shirts of popular companies logo'd merchandise. 
    matkn293 said:
    Hell, my cocktail only lasts 10-15 minutes so I am not worried about having ice for 24 hours or more.  
    Sounds like your situation is a win-win. Use less ice,...pour more cocktail.
  • danielzreyesdanielzreyes Posts: 8,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bob_Luken said:
    jgibv said:

no chit?
    Nope, what I'm tellin' you is I think it's dumb to BUY hats and t-shirts of popular companies logo'd merchandise. 
    well damn

"It's plume, bro. Nothing to worry about. Got any Opus?" The suppose to be DZR
  • matkn293matkn293 Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2016
    You Padron w h o r e! 

Life is too short to smoke bad cigars!!!

Oh when the Blues, Oh when the Blues, Oh when the Blues go marching in!

Bob_Luken said:
    jgibv said:

no chit?
    well damn

Well, cigar branded stuff don't count.