Home Cigar 101
Options

Boveda pack leaked

Diver43Diver43 Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭✭✭

Greeting Everyone

I went and purchased a desk top humidor, seasoned it properly and it had maintained for about 7 or 8 weeks.  Had been using the tubes I believe Drymistat is the name and the humidor maintained 69rh.  Friend told me that Boveda was better so I purchased a few and traded them out.  Two days later I go into the spare room, open the humidor and find that the Boveda pack on the bottom had leaked and soaked into the wood.

I transferred the cigars into my larger humidor and left it open a couple days to dry out.

My guess is to re-season and begin again? Or did the liquid in the Boveda pack ruin the wood of my humidor ?

Any suggestions

Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5

Comments

• Options
    Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,016 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome to the forum @Diver43
    I don't know if you should start over but, when in doubt, start over.

However,..... I can't imagine anything inside that boveda would be harmeful to your wood if you dry it off pretty good. If it were me I'd really try to avoid re-seasoning just for that leak. I've used bovedas for years and never had a leak. I've had the paper come off of a Fuente branded boveda packet revealing a interior clear baggie that contained the liquid. It seemed pretty delicate but I've continued to use it. I suppose there's always a risk of puncture somehow so, I guess everyone needs to be aware. 
  • Options
    peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,406 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There's nothing inside there that would hurt the wood if you can dry it out.
    "I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • Options
    Checked the humidor when I got home, empty and dry since last night and wont go lower then 73rh
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • Options
    Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    What's the humidity in your house? I'm guessing rather high being in fl. Really bovedas are mostly salt and water...I would let dry scrape salt out and go from there
    Money can't buy taste
  • Options
    Also what kind of hygrometer are you using? If that tube is holding at 69rh I'm guessing it's a cheap anolog one that came with the humidor. I've never seen just the tubes ever work well or right
    Money can't buy taste
  • Options
    Digital hygrometer calibrated

Even though humidity is high outside it has been extremely hot so the a/c has been running a lot. Humidity in house stays around 57%.
  • Options
    RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A good way to dry out a humi is put a bowl of uncooked rice in it. 
  • Options
    Never thought of uncooked rice.
    Put a desiccant packet in over night and rh dropped down. 69rh boveda and tonight reading exactly 69.
    I prefer 67 but close enough.
  • Options
    Use a 65 boveda then
    Money can't buy taste