Home Cigar 101

Humidifier Mold

jsnakejsnake Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭✭✭
So, I am wondering if I got some bad distilled water. I have never had mold issues ever. Since I bought this last gallon of distilled water I have had 3 previously wonderful humidifiers grow mold on them. I bit the bullet and just ordered 1/2 lb. of beads and some mesh bags. I know that seems to be the way to go but I am still mad about this mold. Not cool. Think I should get a new gallon of distilled water too.

Now I am kind of worried because I wiped down the inside of my new humi with this craptastic distilled water. I know some prescribe to the method of wiping down and some don't. Don't think I will do it again. Is there a way to plan ahead and prevent mold from appearing? Should I be safe since I left the humi open and let it dry out?

Comments

• clearlysuspectclearlysuspect Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭✭
    Yeah. Stop using anything other than beads or gel humidification and stop using distilled water to charge your humidification devices. Use distilled water for the wipedown, but use Propylene Glycol solution to charge your humidifiers.
  • The CankThe Cank Posts: 799
    Hey Jacob I only use the 50/50 solution because I too had mold on my puck the other day... the weird thing is about 3 days before that is when I started using the 50/50. I think the mold came because I only used distilled before I started with the 50/50. So mold is gone for now in mine... If this helps
  • Hawk55Hawk55 Posts: 846
    Is there something about the 50/50 solution that helps prevent mold? There should not be any problems with the distilled water...right? The distilled water should be pure.
    Suspect what do you "charge" your beads with? Also doesn't the gel hunidification require either 50/50 or distilled water?
    Hawk55:
    Suspect what do you "charge" your beads with? Also doesn't the gel hunidification require either 50/50 or distilled water?
    Personally, I use two Gel jars. One for my upper shelf and one on my lower. As the fluid levels in the gel decrease, the gel shrinks. There's a line on the jar to let you know when to add fluid. I only us Propylene Glycol solution to charge my humidifiers. It says to use this on the side of the jar. I had some really bad mold issues back when I first started collecting. I was using the sponge humidifiers that came with the humidor and distilled water. I had every kinda mold you could think of. It was either Kuzi or Jozer who gave me some great advice for cleaning my humidor with a distilled water/ white vinegar mixture and allowing it to dry in direct sunlight. That got rid of my multicolored mold. The Propylene Glycol solution, or 50/50 solution as you'll commonly hear it called, has done a great job of keeping the mold away. It is a flavorless, odorless anti-bacterial. It cost about $12 a year in solution to keep my humidor up and going. Hope this helps.
  • jsnakejsnake Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The heartfelt beads say use distilled water. Will 50/50 solution damage them or is it ok to use? Also, where are you getting yours that cheap? Thanks for the info.
    Thanx Suspect...have not had the mold problem yet and def don't need it!!! Too many stiks to risk ruin. It sounds like and I believe the 50/50 solution is the mold retardant and needs to be used someplace in each humidor to combat the mold.
  • One2gofstOne2gofst Posts: 583
    jsnake:
    The heartfelt beads say use distilled water. Will 50/50 solution damage them or is it ok to use? Also, where are you getting yours that cheap? Thanks for the info.
    Use just distilled water with your Heartfelt beads. I think PG solution can keep them from working properly. Also, how much water are you going through. You mention several gallons of distilled water. This seems like an awful lot. I have a coolidor with a pound of beads that maintains perfect humidity and I have went through much less than half a gallon since sept.
    Good point...I have a gallon of distilled water that I have been using since the summer and I have about a pint left in the gallon.
  • nightmaremike31nightmaremike31 Posts: 718 ✭✭✭
    Hawk55:
    Good point...I have a gallon of distilled water that I have been using since the summer and I have about a pint left in the gallon.

Do not RE-USE or SAVE your distilled water. I understand that in some cases this is not always possible, our deployed brothers and sisters in particular. Always try to use a new un-opened (bottle/gallon) of distilled water when you are re-charging. As soon as you open it your distilled water, it becomes vunerable to contamination and can infect your humidor and cigars.
    I don't have any input on using solution with beads as I don't use beads. If I were using beads, I'd add another humidifier that I can use 50/50 in just to have that solution in there working for me. I've been doing this for about 6 months now. The first 3 months I had mold problems. Constantly had to pull my cigars out, clean, and reseason. I haven't had one sign of mold in the last 3 months since I've been using the solution. I have a couple of tuppadors also that I use the humipillows as humidifiers. I always charge them with 50/50 since they have gel in them also.
  • One2gofstOne2gofst Posts: 583
    nightmaremike31:
    Hawk55:

Do not RE-USE or SAVE your distilled water. I understand that in some cases this is not always possible, our deployed brothers and sisters in particular. Always try to use a new un-opened (bottle/gallon) of distilled water when you are re-charging. As soon as you open it your distilled water, it becomes vunerable to contamination and can infect your humidor and cigars.
    I have to disagree there, Mike, for a couple reasons. First, it is just not practical or economical to buy a gallon of distilled water to use a few ounces and discard the rest. Second, the amount of contamination that can enter the jug the brief moment it is open is extremely small. There are folks who recommend charging beads by placing a dish of distilled water in the humidor to evaporate and charge the beads. the bowl itself would have these same contaminants and probably more, as would and squirt bottle, mister, rag, etc. that you used in the process. If ones jug were to become "contaminated, you would see mold inside the jug, as it is far more humid than your humidor. if you see mold in there don't use it.

IMO, worrying about reusing an otherwise fine bottle of distilled water is not worth it. Obviously if you have a problem it is probably worth it to get a different bottle to rule out that variable, but otherwise, I wouldn't.
    It seems that starting with a "clean" humidor it is important to use 50/50 as a portion of the humidification system for the humidor or tupperdor. It is quite possible that the solution is the safeguard against mold. I hate to say this but the mold may be introduced by the cigar and high hunidity? Look at the make-up of the 50/50 solution. Some of the Gels require distilled and some require 50/50 solution. It is specified on the bottles.
    One2gofst:
    nightmaremike31:
    Hawk55:

I have to disagree there, Mike, for a couple reasons. First, it is just not practical or economical to buy a gallon of distilled water to use a few ounces and discard the rest. Second, the amount of contamination that can enter the jug the brief moment it is open is extremely small. There are folks who recommend charging beads by placing a dish of distilled water in the humidor to evaporate and charge the beads. the bowl itself would have these same contaminants and probably more, as would and squirt bottle, mister, rag, etc. that you used in the process. If ones jug were to become "contaminated, you would see mold inside the jug, as it is far more humid than your humidor. if you see mold in there don't use it.

IMO, worrying about reusing an otherwise fine bottle of distilled water is not worth it. Obviously if you have a problem it is probably worth it to get a different bottle to rule out that variable, but otherwise, I wouldn't.

Well... I guess I just got served...

Ok, let me try this again.
    nightmaremike31:
    Do not RE-USE or SAVE your distilled water. I understand that in some cases this is not always possible

I apologize for stating that you shouldn't re-use distilled water or save it, I was refering to humidor use. More specifically my experience with distilled water and humidor use. I didn't mean for it to sound like "you should discard the rest". I use my left over distilled water for cooking, cleaning, watering my plants, and I also give it to my dog. My distilled water is used both practically and economically, and around my area it's only $.98 per gallon. But I am fully aware that this is not the case for everyone. To each their own.

One2gofst:
    Second, the amount of contamination that can enter the jug the brief moment it is open is extremely small. There are folks who recommend charging beads by placing a dish of distilled water in the humidor to evaporate and charge the beads. the bowl itself would have these same contaminants and probably more, as would and squirt bottle, mister, rag, etc. that you used in the process.

Once a seal is broken on a product, in order to use the contets, it becomes "possible" for it to be contaminated. I didn't mean for it to seem like "it will become contaminated as soon as you open it". I meant it will become vulnerable, as in there is a possibility or a chance. It might be an extremely small possibility and it won't happen to many people at all, but it is still a possiblity. Hell, condoms are only about 97% effective. I've experienced it first hand, and so have a number of other people I know... for both condoms and distilled water. But I'm refering to my experience with distilled water for now. My contaminated water wasn't visible to the naked eye immediately, it began as a smell. My re-used gallon of distilled water had been in my closet untouched for several months. I popped it open to use it and I noticed a strange smell. I used it anyway. About a week or so went by and I found that mold begun to grow in my humidor and in the humidification device I was then using, sharing the same smell as the gallon of distilled water, but more pungent. I cleaned everything out and re-seasoned my humi by placing a custard bowl of fresh distilled water in there and re-charged my humidification device with the fresh distilled water. Not a single problem since.

I'm not trying to harp on anybody. Not everyone here will have the same experiences as I have or even the person next in line. I just wanted to share mine. And definitely no hard feelings towards you Steve. I just felt that I should clarify what I said since it was a tad abrasive and not very clear. I'm afraid I've been giving off the wrong impression these last couple of weeks.

...Perhaps my excessive use of bold lettering gave it a bad tone as well.
  • HaysHays Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭
    nightmaremike31:
    I'm afraid I've been giving off the wrong impression these last couple of weeks.
    Yes, yes indeed...to atone for this grievous sin, you should send each and every forum member 3 cigars. Oh, and you can send them all just to me - I'll make sure everybody gets theirs ;-).
    ¨The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears, or the sea¨ - Isak Dinesen

¨Only two people walk around in this world beardless - boys and women - and I am neither one.¨
    I have to say this..after being so profusely admonished for re-using my distilled water...(bold type), Water should not have a "smelll'.... That should have been an indication not to use that particular water. something may have fallen into it and generated the mold. But like you say to each his own.
  • jsnakejsnake Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I only have 1 gallon of distilled water and been using it the last six months. I use it to clean my hardwood floors with a steam mop too. Never noticed an odor until I wiped down the humi which I won't do again. Beads are on the way. Will get a new gallon of distilled water just to be safe. Luckily this is a cheap 20 count humi. I just have run out of room and don't want to ruin something my wife gave me for Christmas. Thanks for all the input guys.
    Hays:
    nightmaremike31:
    I'm afraid I've been giving off the wrong impression these last couple of weeks.
    Yes, yes indeed...to atone for this grievous sin, you should send each and every forum member 3 cigars. Oh, and you can send them all just to me - I'll make sure everybody gets theirs ;-).

... I'm going to have to count my cigars... then divide that by the number of members... carry the 2...

Hays, I'll just send you my humi's and you can try to figure it out. By my calculations, people are going to be getting wee lil snippets of cigars. But I'll let you decide who gets the tip and who gets the foot.