Home Cigar 101

Outdoor heat and humidity

christian1971christian1971 Posts: 467 ✭✭✭
I smoked a cigar outside and it was pretty humid and hot.  Can this effect the lack of taste or flavor I'm getting from the cigar. Just tasted like warm air. 

Comments

• WylaffWylaff Posts: 5,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What cigar?
    "Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...
  • christian1971christian1971 Posts: 467 ✭✭✭
    Jericho hill
    I did get some flavor, but it seemed washed out in the heat and humidity. Smokes do imo taste better in fall when it gets colder. 
  • WylaffWylaff Posts: 5,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's possible. What you've ate and drank might apply as well. Cigars are very dependent on the world around them.
    "Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...
  • 90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wayne @Wylaff is absolutely right, the temp and humidity can have an effect but your palate, food, drink etc and many other factors have an even bigger impact and likely have a bigger impact than just that. Could also be a dud of a cigar or combination of it all ;)

Brett
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
  • Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In my experience, when a stick is too moist I get that "hot air" taste. The extra moisture heats up the cigar and washes out the flavor. Hot and humid weather would definitely contribute if the stick is already a little wet.
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America

My cigar was stored properly. Just didn't know ambient humidity would have immediate effect on cigar smoking experience.

• webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here in dampish DullAware I get a different effect... 

The cigar burns OK for a bit, but as I'm sucking damp into it the burn slows... until about mid-way the damn thing studges up, turns sour, and dies. If I give the dead end a squeeze, I find that it's turned hard as a rock. I don't wanna re-light the thing cause that tastes awful. I might cut back behind the hard section and start again. But dor me, the flavor doesn't wash out, it sours.

A broadleaf wrapper helps a lot. A looser pack helps some. Touch-ups don't help much at all.

I think they don't put enough volado in cigars as a rule. When I roll my own for damp weather, I lean toward thinner leaf filler -- viso, wrapper scraps, and the like. I will roll them with the filler a bit crunchy, and the body looser.

Got 93% humidibbiditty here this morning. But the good news is, it's sposed to drop to 61% by the time it hits 90 degrees this afternoon.

It's a jungle out there, I tell ya.
    “It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• AlbinfkAlbinfk Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Having the same problem in upstate NY. Gotta get the smoking lounge built in the basement this fall.
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    yes
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • RolanddeschainRolanddeschain Posts: 898 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I only enjoy a cigar in the evening after work while relaxing on the deck. When it's too damn hot and this freaking humid I may not have one for a while....I just don't enjoy it. Perhaps if I install an exhaust fan in my man cave that will change:)
    Roland
    Long days and pleasant nights,

Roland
  • PatrickbrickPatrickbrick Posts: 7,722 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Some times if in the afternoon I have made up my mind on my evening smoke, I will put it in an empty cigar box I keep in my garage where I smoke.  I do this only when humidity is super high.  9-10 hours later when I light it up I find it to perform better than if I just take it out of the humidor.  I used to dry box inside, but Peter told me to let it acclamat in its smoking climate. 
    "We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give".  Winston Churchill.
    MOW badge received.
  • peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,316 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's the way to do it... works for me too.  The hard part is making up your mind what to smoke that far in advance and then sticking with it.
    "I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • PatrickbrickPatrickbrick Posts: 7,722 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree Peter, never know what mood il actually be in after work.
    "We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give".  Winston Churchill.
    MOW badge received.