Home General Discussion

What Cigar are you saving for that Special Occasion?

NorthsideSmokeNorthsideSmoke Posts: 515 ✭✭✭✭
I thought this might be interesting to see what cigar guys have that are "untouchable" until whatever special occasion they are saving that particular cigar for happens.

I don't know that I have one yet, Pretty much have just been building stock, A buddy of mine has a "connection" for legit Montecristo No 2 Cuban's So I will probably take him up on that. But I am curious to see what other's are storing for graduations, births of kids/grandkids or whatever you feel is important enough to break out THE cigar.   

Comments

• jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    a couple of fake Cuban Cohibas......

edit: they were gifted to me by the contractor that took 4 months instead of 4 weeks to re-do our kitchen.
    I'll bet you're real anxious to hire that guy to do another job for ya, right??  Why not trick him into smoking one of those fakes with ya?  It'd serve him right and all youd have to do is slip off one of the bands and put it on a good stick that you'd smoke along with him. 

Personally, I wouldn't smoke one of them again. I've had some given to me and smoked one before I knew it was fake. There's no way to know what the h3ll is in those things - could be dried horse turds and banana peels for all you know....   :#

Let your contractor 'buddy' be your Guinea pig.....   >:)
  • silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,049 ✭✭✭✭✭
    jlmarta said:
    "Let your contractor 'buddy' be your Guinea pig.....   "

lol, he thinks they are great, has one of his union buddies pick them up for him, says they cost a bundle.
  • NorthsideSmokeNorthsideSmoke Posts: 515 ✭✭✭✭
    peter4jc said:
    Every day I can fog a mirror (to quote the oldfart above) is a special day, and so I allow myself to smoke a great cigar any time the mood strikes.
    lol, that reminds me of the time I was at the health club and a trainer comes over and asks me what my goals were. I said "live a bit longer a little bit healthier" he said "how do you measure that?" I said "wake up each day"
  • cbuckcbuck Posts: 8,414 ✭✭✭✭✭
    peter4jc said:
    Every day I can fog a mirror (to quote the oldfart above) is a special day, and so I allow myself to smoke a great cigar any time the mood strikes.
    This!
  • 90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I guess I am still a young buck trying to listen and learn from the old bull telling me to walk down the hill and F em all instead of running down the hill for just one of em :p

Brett
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
  • Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Have a box of 2014 Anejos I am just sitting on. I figured when I finish school they should be getting pretty good. A handful of Monte 2's for the same.

Other than that I do not have any particular sticks I am saving. Although, I will be picking up a box or two (My Fathers, classic or Le Bijous) to smoke on Max's birthdays until he's old enough we can share the last few. 
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    I've got a few like a opus X maduro from 2007. I think I'll smoke it on my b day coming up when it's 20 years. I still have a original Avo 22 that is waiting to get burned and thanks to dzr a parti 150 that needs a burning! But really I don't have many as said yet as far as I know lol
    Money can't buy taste
  • jarublajarubla Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Interesting thread. I have some sticks I am sitting on, and several that I wouldn't think to smoke. 

I dunno if I am saving for a special day, per se. I guess I need to think about this more.

I mostly like to look at them, enjoy reading about them, interacting online with similarly interested folks, I enjoy collecting them, and I also enjoy smoking them. 

There are a few that I would consider unicorn sticks, but nothing I couldn't replace (unlike some of those rare cigars on Ccom from the 50's, or ultra rare first editions, limited Fuentes, etc). 

I do do have a non fake CC Cohiba I am sitting on. I don't foresee smoking that one in the next 10 years, unless I win the lottery or something!
    Post edited by jarubla on
    “There’ll be two dates on your tombstone and all your friends will read ’em but all that’s gonna matter is that little dash between ’em.” -Kevin Welch
  • matkn293matkn293 Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't know that I have any that I am waiting for a particular reason to smoke. If the the number of that stick is called when I open the humi, so be it. 

Life is too short to smoke bad cigars!!!

Oh when the Blues, Oh when the Blues, Oh when the Blues go marching in!

• jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    i tend to "save" larger vitolas since i rarely have 2+ hours to dedicate to a smoke....i have plenty of toros/churchills/torpedos with 5+ years on 'em.  

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

I have a 2 smokes from Kelners' private stash that I'm waiting to mow my lawn with.
    I think I have a neighbor who's waiting on the same thing. If it get's any longer it may become a nature reserve.  
  • PatrickbrickPatrickbrick Posts: 7,722 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have many cigars that I tell myself il smoke on such or such occasion, but then I end up smoking something else.  Most of the time I end up smoking them on some random day off.
    "We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give".  Winston Churchill.
    MOW badge received.
  • WylaffWylaff Posts: 5,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The problem is during special occasions I'm focused on other things. I'd rather have an Ol' Reliable and save the "special" stick for a time when all that's happening is the smoke.
    "Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...
    Wylaff said:
    The problem is during special occasions I'm focused on other things. I'd rather have an Ol' Reliable and save the "special" stick for a time when all that's happening is the smoke.
    I agree with you here, which is why I always have the special cigar on a different day but for that celebration. As an example, next month I have my 5 year anniversary with my wife. On the day of I will celebrate but I won't smoke my special cigar until the day after so I can focus on it and not on the actual day itself. Thats my way to have my cake and eat it too :D

Brett
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
    So what will be that special cigar Brett? Inquiring minds want to know :)
    That looks awesome man. 
    Thanks brother, been waiting to break that one out for some time and celebrating being with my wife is the right time especially since she was the one who bought it and surprised me with it :)

Brett