Home Non Cigar Related

Do you like your career?

Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
as asked how do you like what you do for a living? Me I'm a dumb hvac guy and most days just breeze through jobs. I am dreading this winter since I think it will be horrible and will have to work 12hr days for most of it. Summer hits and nobody likes being told it can't be fixed or the part might take a week or two to get in. They get pretty mad and well it's not my fault but have to deal with the I need ac now attitude. This is what I hate the most! But that's all that can be done and I have to take it. On the other end we have gremlin houses where you just start replacing everything because even the guy in it 20yrs has no clue what to do! So your out banging your head and dead tired but know you want them to have heat. Sometimes I have nightmares about certain places and know when on call a place will call that is a hour away and it's 11pm and your just dead from the day. So I like what I do yes for the most part but it can just kick your a$$ and grind your spirit down a lot of the time. It's only the nice customers that make you feel good about what I do that really just keeps me going. End of rant but would love to know what others thing about the field they are in
Money can't buy taste

Comments

• jarublajarubla Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lee, you are a good dude! I appreciate the insight into the demands of your work!!
    “There’ll be two dates on your tombstone and all your friends will read ’em but all that’s gonna matter is that little dash between ’em.” -Kevin Welch
  • Usaf06Usaf06 Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is a question I ask myself every day. Some days it's a resounding yes and others it's a hell no. The one good benefit I get is a great retirement.
    "I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
    -- Winston Churchill

"LET'S GO FRANCIS"     Peter

• matkn293matkn293 Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mine is electrifying!

Life is too short to smoke bad cigars!!!

Oh when the Blues, Oh when the Blues, Oh when the Blues go marching in!

• dirtdudedirtdude Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭✭✭
    i wish i had one
    A little dirt never hurt
  • genareddoggenareddog Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow. Being in a family business certainly has its share of positives but more negatives. I could always be worse but if I had the money I would definitely do something else. 
  • 90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I love the company that I work for and how well they take care of me and my family but I very much dislike my current job description, hope to change that in the next 12 months. 
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
  • MikeToddMikeTodd Posts: 974 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2016
    I love the type of work I do and I work for a good company, however, the commute is getting old. Also it is hard facing family
    members and explaining that their loved one may/or has reached maximum potential and it isn't the level they want to be. Plus I do get attached to some of my patients and it is hard when they don't get better.
  • Ryan1990Ryan1990 Posts: 526 ✭✭✭✭
    @Lee.mcglynn sorry to hear you deal with so many douchers. My AC has gone out twice in my new apartment, and both times the guys have remarked on how nice Tara and I were. I guess there are a lot of narcissitic folks out there who think they're entitled to AC and if you're the poor guy they call and you don't happen to have the particular part they need, they lose their shint on you.

Sorry about that buddy.

• First_WarriorFirst_Warrior Posts: 3,140 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like what i do. I've tried other "regular" jobs but they don't hold my attention. I have 2200 sq feet with all my tools to play in. Something new every day.
  • Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    I like what i do. I've tried other "regular" jobs but they don't hold my attention. I have 2200 sq feet with all my tools to play in. Something new every day.
    That's one of the pros in my field is that it's something different everyday hour by hour
    Money can't buy taste
  • silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,049 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lousy jobs hurt your health by the time you're in your 40s
    Early job satisfaction has strongest impact on mental health

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2016/08/160822083406.htm

Makes sense--strive to find a job that you love while you are young.
  • MartelMartel Posts: 3,306 ✭✭✭✭
    I love what I do.  Except when I don't.  But even then, I love getting to do it.

Like the trip to the hospital last night to be with a family whose husband and father had a heart attack at 48 and they're still not sure if he has neurological damage and won't for over a day because they decided to induce hypothermia.  Hate it, but glad I get to be there.
    Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

I like Oliva and Quesada (including Regius) a lot.  I will smoke anything, though.
    Ryan1990 said:
    @Lee.mcglynn sorry to hear you deal with so many douchers. My AC has gone out twice in my new apartment, and both times the guys have remarked on how nice Tara and I were. I guess there are a lot of narcissitic folks out there who think they're entitled to AC and if you're the poor guy they call and you don't happen to have the particular part they need, they lose their shint on you.

Sorry about that buddy.

@Ryan1990 you people are what we hope and wish to encounter! It's nice when people just treat you like a human being. Some people just can't fathom it's 86 in my house...well your air handler is in your attic which is 110 so relax and be patient! We are not in the field to rip you off...at least not my company. We are here to help and understand your hot or cold since well we are right in front of you in the same heat or cold. If only rational people would be all over this world could be great!
    Money can't buy taste
  • GuitardedGuitarded Posts: 4,643 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congratulations Randy! Just karma coming back around for all you do here. 
    Friends don't let good friends smoke cheap cigars.
  • peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,320 ✭✭✭✭✭
    dirtdude said:
    got the call from the local outfit today, back in the saddle Monday
    Giddy-yup!
    "I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • 90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Way to go Randy great to hear congrats!!!

Brett
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
  • NorthsideSmokeNorthsideSmoke Posts: 515 ✭✭✭✭
    I love what I do most days, other days not as much. But I think as long as the days you like outweigh the days you don't you're doing well.  
    dirtdude said:
    Good luck and best wishes!!
    Money can't buy taste
  • avengethisavengethis Posts: 5,686 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I enjoy what I do very much. I get to work with lots of people. The worst part is the inconsistency in income but there are ways to plan for that. 
    Team O'Donnell FTW!

"I've got a great cigar collection - it's actually not a collection, because that would imply I wasn't going to smoke ever last one of 'em." - Ron White
  • genareddoggenareddog Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭✭✭
    dirtdude said:
    Great news Randy. 
  • Dark_RoastDark_Roast Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭
    Yes and no. I work for a coffee company. I enjoy the beans but senior management couldn't complete a paint by number picture made for 10 year olds. they would F up a wet dream! Rember those?
  • dirtdudedirtdude Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭✭✭
    they need to talk to Peter C. Bean
    A little dirt never hurt
  • NolagizmoNolagizmo Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I love working with the latest consumer gadgets. At times (like now) it's very demanding but the rewards and discounts are there. If I was ridiculously wealthy I would stay on part time.
    "Come party with me in Tennessee for my birthday July we can smoke in the Smokey's."
  • CharlieHeisCharlieHeis Posts: 8,144 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No.
  • onestrangeoneonestrangeone Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭✭✭
    For the most part I do, I like the variety and challenges, the creativity I get to express and the freedom to walk away from a job if I don't like someone's attitude.
     I don't like the stress that goes with running a small business, I'm not really a responsible person and yet I have people who depend on me for there livelihood, I'm the last one to get paid and if there is a problem, well I'm the one who has to deal with it.