Home Cigar 101

salt test

I was doing the salt test and when I went to check it today it said 65% now when I first took it out of the box before I turned it on or anything I turned the dial some. Could this throw off the reading or am I doing something wrong. It's been in a small tupperware container since last night about this time and hasnt' gone about 65% at all. Thanks!

Comments

• One2gofstOne2gofst Posts: 583
    I can't understand your post.
  • HaysHays Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭
    If I'm understanding your post right (which took a few tries to make any sense out of), you accidentally turned the calibration nob when you pulled it out of the package? And you've been running the salt test since then, and it's consistently showing you 65%? At this point, I would just say to follow the directions for your hygro to now calibrate it to show the appropriate 75% that it should be showing during the salt test.
    ¨The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears, or the sea¨ - Isak Dinesen

¨Only two people walk around in this world beardless - boys and women - and I am neither one.¨
  • Ya sorry I just re read by post and it was hard to understand. That's what I get for doing it while watching the game I guess. I'm going to take your advice and just calibrate it now and then start seasoning my humidor and see how it goes. Thanks for the help!
  • firetruckguyfiretruckguy Posts: 2,522 ✭✭✭
    I had to play with mine a couple of days before getting it to set correctly. I would turn it a click, push the button, then wait for 6 hours......then do it all over again. Take your time and it will all work out.
  • bigharpoonbigharpoon Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭
    I take my time during the salt test, too. I like to leave the hygros in the tupperware for 24 hours between checks. It takes me days to calibrate but I really do notice a difference between waiting 6-10 hours and a full 24 hours, usually 2 or 3 points. It's nice to have them fully adjusted and not have to do math each time I look at them, or worse, think they are accurate and really they aren't.
  • laker1963laker1963 Posts: 5,046
    nwbearcat21:
    Ya sorry I just re read by post and it was hard to understand. That's what I get for doing it while watching the game I guess. I'm going to take your advice and just calibrate it now and then start seasoning my humidor and see how it goes. Thanks for the help!
    If it were me, and I had already adjusted the unit some I would return it to the Tupperware and let it sit for 6 hours or so. Then I would take it out and if possible turn the dial until it read 75% and then I would return it to the tupperware for at least another 6 hours and see what it reads after that. I am sure it will work out if you take your time. Your readings of 65% are not so low as to harm your sticks anyway. Many of us keep our humi's at 65 - 67 % all the time.