Home Ratings & Reviews

Cigar Scissors

ejenne87ejenne87 Posts: 1,925 ✭✭
I am looking at getting some cigar scissors. I am just wondering if anybody here uses scissors or has in the past. I am just curious to find out if they are worth getting, and easy enough to use. Any thoughts...?

Comments

• One2gofstOne2gofst Posts: 583
    I personally don't like them, as I don't feel they offer me any benefit over a good cutter. On top of that it is easier to torque them and mess the cut up. Just my $.02
  • KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    Cigar scissors imo are little trickier and takes a bit of practice to use. I recommend using them first on some practice cheapo cigars.

"Long ashes my friends."

• gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    i have a pair i like just fine ...you do need to be paying attention when using
  • cabinetmakercabinetmaker Posts: 2,560 ✭✭
    I have a pair of xikar scissors (http://www.cigar.com/cigars/viewcigar.asp?prod=M-XK08) that i carry around everywhere along with my lighter. Great for cutting lanceros and torpedos.
  • bigbgballzbigbgballz Posts: 283
    I have a pair and use from time to time. They are as good as any other cutter if used properly. I like them over some cigar cutter because some cutter wouldnt have both blades cutting at same time(blade against frame) while scissors will. I also use punch as well and like to use all kinds of cutting or punching devices as i find it fun and part of the ritual.
  • HaysHays Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭
    Cuban Crafters makes a really unique set of scissors. Can't recall the exact name of it, but it has two handles like scissors and a cutting circle that involves 3 blades. It's been discussed on here before, and you should be able to find it on the Cuban Crafters website if you're interested. I certainly plan on picking one up when I have $$$ again.
    ¨The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears, or the sea¨ - Isak Dinesen

¨Only two people walk around in this world beardless - boys and women - and I am neither one.¨
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    Hays:
    Cuban Crafters makes a really unique set of scissors. Can't recall the exact name of it, but it has two handles like scissors and a cutting circle that involves 3 blades. It's been discussed on here before, and you should be able to find it on the Cuban Crafters website if you're interested. I certainly plan on picking one up when I have $$$ again.
    I would caution against that cutter. I received one as a gift and the first time I used it I got a ragged and incomplete cut... basically the blades grabbed the cap and ripped it, barely any cutting involved. They look neat, but in my experience don't work near as well as claimed.
  • SmokeeeSmokeee Posts: 220
    I've never seen or even heard of them- but just the thought is enough to make me cringe. I'm not into wasting a cigar (no matter how cheap) when there is a better way!!
  • fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Posts: 3,023 ✭✭
    I received a pair for Christmas and have used them several times. So far they have given a smooth clean cut.
  • ejenne87ejenne87 Posts: 1,925 ✭✭
    j0z3r:
    Hays:
    I would caution against that cutter. I received one as a gift and the first time I used it I got a ragged and incomplete cut... basically the blades grabbed the cap and ripped it, barely any cutting involved. They look neat, but in my experience don't work near as well as claimed.
    The Cuban Crafters was the one I was looking at actualy. This is good to know, and is the exact reason I asked about scissors. Thanks Joe

Does anyone know od another place to get scissors like the Cuban Craftes, but that might actualy be a decent buy?
  • HaysHays Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭
    ejenne87:
    j0z3r:
    Hays:
    The Cuban Crafters was the one I was looking at actualy. This is good to know, and is the exact reason I asked about scissors. Thanks Joe

Does anyone know od another place to get scissors like the Cuban Craftes, but that might actualy be a decent buy?
    Ah! Well this is good to know. I had thought it would provide a nice cut, what with the three blades. Too bad - they sure are cool looking! Lol..

Evan, sorry buddy, but I don't know where else to tell ya. If you dO take the plunge though and go for some, I'd like to hear your feedback. I really like the "old-fashioned" sense of the scissors, but I haven't ever used them before.
    ¨The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears, or the sea¨ - Isak Dinesen

¨Only two people walk around in this world beardless - boys and women - and I am neither one.¨
  • ejenne87ejenne87 Posts: 1,925 ✭✭
    Hays:
    I really like the "old-fashioned" sense of the scissors
    That's exactly what attracted me to them. I like the idea of cigar scissors. The challenge of using them is something that appeals to me as well. I like that they say in most adds, "only for the pro's." So I take that as a challenge! I guess I'll have to search the net some more and try to find some different ones...
  • AyatoAyato Posts: 53
    I bought a Xikar MTX to use while my Xi2 was out for repair. It took a few practice clips to get the feel for it but I really like it now. The "tools" on the handles come in handy too.
  • I use a Swiss Army Knife with cigar scissors and they work better than any cutter I've ever used. They never get dull, and they give me a clean and even cut every single time.
  • madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    Ayato:
    I bought a Xikar MTX to use while my Xi2 was out for repair. It took a few practice clips to get the feel for it but I really like it now. The "tools" on the handles come in handy too.
    I got these in the christmas exchange this year. They are now head and shoulders above my Xi3. They are the sharpest cutter I've ever used.