Home General Discussion

Discovering What I like

TNBigfoot68TNBigfoot68 Posts: 2,742 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited August 2016 in General Discussion
Several years ago I started off mostly with cheap conveyance story cigars realising they left me warnting something better. I sought the advice of a great Tobbaconist while vacationing in Gatlinburg. He advised me to try some of the lesser expensive Parsons, at the time I didn't really pay attention to what they were just that I loved them. Every time I go back, I stop by and buy a few. Since then I keep trying different brands to see what I like. So far I can say Rocky Patel 1990 was enjoyable, NP bold ok with a lot of great qualities but not as much, Brick House not bad.  Along the way I have had several good experiences and Many forgettable ones. In my search I love reading the reviews as I am on the quest for what I like. Love to hear suggestions and why I might like a particular cigar. I realize that a cigar is a very personal event and we all are different. Love reading the reviews in this forum. 
I was born a fool, and just got bigger!

Comments

• AlbinfkAlbinfk Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just keep trying them. There are so many out there. Not a bad problem to have.
  • TNBigfoot68TNBigfoot68 Posts: 2,742 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Several years ago I started off mostly with cheap conveyance story cigars realising they left me warnting something better. I sought the advice of a great Tobbaconist while vacationing in Gatlinburg. He advised me to try some of the lesser expensive Parsons, at the time I didn't really pay attention to what they were just that I loved them. Every time I go back, I stop by and buy a few. Since then I keep trying different brands to see what I like. So far I can say Rocky Patel 1990 was enjoyable, NP bold ok with a lot of great qualities but not as much, Brick House not bad.  Along the way I have had several good experiences and Many forgettable ones. In my search I love reading the reviews as I am on the quest for what I like. Love to hear suggestions and why I might like a particular cigar. I realize that a cigar is a very personal event and we all are different. Love reading the reviews in this forum. 
    I meant to say some of the lesser expensive Padrons, not Parsons, lol I hate auto correct.
  • Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It never ends. I guess I could settle on a few blends as "keepers" but, nope. I keep trying new ("new-to-me") stuff. I've heard this condition never gets better. I know you want suggestions based on what you like so far so I'll try but, in reality there are too many choices for me to feel any recommendation does you justice. Oh, and if you still love the "lesser" Padrons consider getting yourself a box. It'll be cheaper if you get them from an on-line auction too. Just, don't mention it to your local B&M owner. Some of them get a little pissy when you buy cigars elsewhere. LOL

Undercrown
    Ramon Bueso Genesis
    Ramon Bueso Olancho
    7-20-4
    Crowned Heads JD Howard
    Crowned Heads Tennessee Waltz

@Bob_Luken that's a great list, I have been wanting to try some of the Crowned Heads, and the Undercrown. 
  • Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @TNBigfoot68 Whenever we meet up, I'll bring samples :)
  • Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    Crowned heads and padron never let you down!! Fuente has some great stuff but some may just not make the cut. Padron is a king and will always be since they are too reliable and you'll get what you expect
    Money can't buy taste
    Crowned heads and padron never let you down!! Fuente has some great stuff but some may just not make the cut. Padron is a king and will always be since they are too reliable and you'll get what you expect
    Thanks.
  • NorthsideSmokeNorthsideSmoke Posts: 515 ✭✭✭✭
    I am just getting back into cigars but if I were to recommend a cigar and feel fairly confident a person would like it, it would be the Flores y Rodriguez 10 anniversary Limitada. Of all the cigars I do own this is my favorite. You can get them on the bid sites for a lot less than most online retailers are asking if you keep your eye out for them. 
    Bob_Luken said:
    It never ends. I guess I could settle on a few blends as "keepers" but, nope. I keep trying new ("new-to-me") stuff. I've heard this condition never gets better. 

I do think the trying new to me stuff is the big bug that has bit me. LOL.  I think we all want the holy grail that no one had discovered. Just like the desire to see what is around the next curve or what is on the otherside of the next mountain. 
  • 90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I suspect this to be true lol ^^^^^
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
  • EnderWigginEnderWiggin Posts: 30 ✭✭✭
    Right now I am doing the same on discovery and am keeping towards the mild-medium as I am afraid to get anything to full yet as to not sure if I will like it, and it be a waste.
  • onestrangeoneonestrangeone Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Right now I am doing the same on discovery and am keeping towards the mild-medium as I am afraid to get anything to full yet as to not sure if I will like it, and it be a waste.

First off, Welcome to the forum!

Let me slip into my Capitan obvious cape real quick here, Its a journey not a race, as long as you enjoy the experience that's all that matters.

As for the full bodied/flavor sticks, How will you know unless you try? 

• EnderWigginEnderWiggin Posts: 30 ✭✭✭
    Thanks @onestrangeone, however in my first sampler pack I had a COA Brazilia and wasn't a big fan of the fullness so maybe one day I will get there. Yes enjoyging the experience very much. I suppose like with beer I started off light and now am in the full range of heavier crafts. So over time I will probably adjust. Any specific full bodies that you think a noob would like?
  • 90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well said @TNBigfoot68 :)

Brett
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
  • jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's been my experience that some cigars that are rated as 'full bodied' actually smoke more like a 'medium' or 'medium/full' depending on how well-balanced the blend is. 

A couple examples that come to mind are the DPG Blue or the Undercrown. Even the Joya de Nicaragua Antano 1970 smokes (to me) like a 'medium/full'. 
  • peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,315 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd echo Mr. Marty's post...  I wouldn't say disregard the ratings altogether, but I often find a stick that's known as mild-med will give a good nicotine buzz, and those rated as strong are nothing much at all.  I've studied this phenomenon and it's not food-in-my-gut related.

I have to admit, after 2 years of smoking cigars, I'm still in the process of finding out what I like.  I like a lot more than I don't like, and if I had to list them it'd be easier to list the ones I don't.

@TNBigfoot68 you need to get @onestrangeone's newsletter; it will help explain some of these things.
    "I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis