Home Non Cigar Related

Handguns for Home Protection

2»

Comments

• MikeToddMikeTodd Posts: 974 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice. The AOW is nice with a cheap stamp but those serbu's are not cheap. 
    Why not use a NFA trust and bypass the fingerprints and turn in the forms online? Much quicker!
  • Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    I'm not a big gun guy but for home protection I'd get a 20 gauge shotgun and some buck shot. Every now and again I go hunting with my buddies and I always insist that I use a 20 gauge and some slugs. Buck shot is better for your home since it's safer for your neighbors if you miss lol. But if you really want to be mean use turkey rounds! 20 gauge has less kick and well it's still damn scary on the other end. But as stated go with what makes you both comfy and is manageable. But really if you do want to f someone up just get a cross bow and some rage broad heads and you'll be set
    Money can't buy taste
  • Diver43Diver43 Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am anti gun. Yes I know I will receive a lot of crap on this post. But what the ****. I have always tried to live in a somewhat safe surrounding and my two Golden Retrievers will bark like maniacs if anything comes within 100 feet of my current house perimeter. Whatever upsets them which is usually the pain in the ass fox or deer is not worth pulling out a gun and "Offing." I am not a Suburb only living person. I used to live in Washington DC, albeit a relatively safe neighborhood but never felt it necessary to arm myself. I have walked thru some of the most ungodly DC streets and came out unscathed. There was a time an unsavory individual walked up to me in a seriously bad neighborhood and said "What the **** you doing in this neighborhood?" I was in a bad part of DC visiting a coworker. And I said "I was hanging with "TC" and he said "OK" and I walked to my car and went home. Sometimes it is not what you know but who. I have always tried to respect all individuals that enter my path, whether it be opening doors for women or the aged or politely slightly lowering my head in a mutual respective non communicative hello to a by passer.  Now I know there are many stories where a firearm helped save an individuals life, but I bet there are just as many stories where a firearm has taken away an innocent life. Take for instance the father shooting at a gun range and the spent shell bounced off a wall and landed in his shirt collar. He instinctively reaches back with gun in hand and tried to retrieve the shell. While doing so he accidentally fires his pistol right into his son who was standing behind him. His son died. The remorse of a lifetime will not bring back his beautiful son.  Go ahead beat up on me. I can take it. I am just so tired of so many lives being innocently erased from their family tree and from this Earth it makes me cry. 

Dark Roast

You do not need to like or own a gun. If you do not desire one or feel the need, I am fine with that. I will never attempt to force you to own or carry one.  Just do not attempt to tell others that they should not or may not and we will remain peaceful.

firearms ownership is a very individual thing. For home protection, for a inexperienced person I first say go to a local range, receive training and hold/shoot as many different types of guns that you can. 

After that follow all safety rules, if you do not know them by heart, learn them and practice them.  For children in the home the NRA has the Eddie the Eagle program and preaches safety and what to do if a child finds a gun.

I for one would rather carry a gun daily and hope that I never need it, than to not carry one and one day need it.

Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • 90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    VERY well said @Diver43

Brett
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
  • 90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice setup Peter, thats awfully purdy :)
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
  • Dark_RoastDark_Roast Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭
    Expensive beans you are protecting? I realise people feel the need to "arm" themselves but against what? Looks like you live in an angelic neighborhood that exemplifies euphoria. How about an alarm service? Generaly an intruder will scram when hearing sirens from a house broken in to. There have been stuations a "night sand pal" have been used against a owner. 
  • RolanddeschainRolanddeschain Posts: 898 ✭✭✭✭✭
    For me and mine it's shotguns for home defense. IMO handguns are only effective if you train regularly.  For me, I keep the handguns and rifles for the Zombie Apocalypse:)

Dave
    Long days and pleasant nights,

Roland
  • First_WarriorFirst_Warrior Posts: 3,140 ✭✭✭✭✭
    For those unfamiliar with firearms a shotgun would be a good choice. A long gun is safer than a short gun, I think. Pull the muzzle a inch off at your hand with a handgun and that translates to feet even with a close target. Keep in mind if you fire a weapon indoors and in the dark you won't be able to hear anything because of the report and you won't be able to see anything because the flash will take away any night vision you might have had.
    I have guns, both handguns and long guns. Probably more than I need but they are somewhat a comfort because I'm a warrior. Would I shoot, well I've done it before more than once,more than twice, more than three times,I forgot how many times in the war. I don't ever want to do it again because killing and the blood and the screams that go with it take a great heavy toll on the soul. 
  • YaksterYakster Posts: 25,529 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2016
    What's the story with the La Duena?  I picked one up at the Tobacco Barn in Mission Viejo after IPCPR and the staff there mentioned something about them being discontinued or thought they were going to be discontinued.  I haven't lit it up yet to try it, but I've seen it often on this board so I get the feeling that they're well thought of.  Maybe My Father reconsidered?  I found something from 2015 on Reddit about the discontinuation but the La Duena is still on the My Father website.
    I'll gladly bomb you Tuesday for an Opus today. 

Join us on the New Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • Dark_RoastDark_Roast Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭
    Glock-I am glad to see you post. I think you meant to say "couldn't care less." And as far as alarm systems, I agree they are not perfect but at least they give you a heads up to an intruder trying to forever disrupting your life. Usaf06 thanks for acknowledging I am your number one fan. Remind me not to speed in your "neck" of the woods. Texas - "a pattern of insulting members and calling them names?" Well I consider it challenging them, unless you would prefer " I'm rubber, your glue. Whatsoever you say bounces off me and sticks to you." Maybe you would prefer that?  Yea I know I can be a **** from time to time and I I guess I am in my **** mood. Really I can be a nice guy but when it comes to hand guns killing people that is where I draw the line. As far as I am concerned every phucking hand gun (except owned by law enforcement)  should be eradicated from the earth. Yea I know that is unlikely but I think if it were to happen every one of us earth living ****-sapiens could exist in a much more harmonious existence. Am I an old Hippie? Yea probably. If I have insulted you, well, I am sorry . If I have caused you to rethink your opinion on hand gun ownership, well that's a good thing. Peace - Michael   PS. - Peter, I did forget about your horrific personal connection to a home invasion. Please accept my sincere apology to my insensitivity  to your personal situation. 
  • WylaffWylaff Posts: 5,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Back on topic...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1yvZbX_0lPw

All this guys videos are fun to watch, but this one is particularly cool. He'l show you how to build a magnetic locking shelf that can be used to hide said handguns.
    "Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...

What one chooses to use for home protection is different in almost every home.

Layout of home, who and where are they in the home, construction, all need to be made part of the equation.

First decision to make is to be armed or not.  We choose to be.  My go to in the dark of night gun is a Sig P229 .40SW, the wife keeps a SW 431pd .32H&R Mag. We hope to never need to have the need to utilize them, but I again would much rather have them sit there forever and not be needed, than the day to come when they are needed and they not be there.  In most instances the police will be only moments away when you have seconds to live.

Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
    MikeTodd said:
    Usaf06 said:
    @Dark_Roast
    I dont write tickets. I dont know why you would want an armed government and no armed civilians. That is exactly the opposite of what the founding fathers wanted. Hitler wanted an unarmed populace too. 
    And some countries INVITED Hitler in!
    But just my two cents.
    Police in America don't have guns because they are police. The have guns because they are AMERICANS and we have the right to keep and bear arms. There are plenty of countries who don't let their police routinely carry guns. England, Australia, Switzerland and Japan are a few that come to mind. In Japan, there have been multiple mass casualties cause by a person with a knife. See, bad people do bad things.
    Considering your close proximity to Gary, Chicago and all the region hoods, I'm surprised at your stance agains guns @Dark_Roast . However, in civil discourse, I respect your decisions and your stance, as long as you respect mine. I live 30-45min southeast of you and have multiple firearms and carry on a daily basis. My children respect firearms and know the rules. We also keep them locked and away or in a electric coded safe for the nightstand. God forbid anything to you and yours but I am not taking the chance. They are called First RESPONDERS and not Preventers for a reason. Do I ever want to shoot someone? No. But I train a lot and have made the mental choice that I will protect my family and myself at all cost.
    And we have a private shooting range. If you would ever like to come shoot and learn about firearms, please let me know. I can arrange for you to shoot everything from a .22 rifle and pistol to large bore rifles and machine guns.

-Mike

The offer of range time is very generous.

I make the same offer to those located in South Florida, range session then some time with something cold at a local cigar bar.

Just handling a firearm will allow most folks to understand how they are used, firing one can be plane old fun. Having to utilize one to protect you and yours not so much, but better to know how and never need to than need to and have no clue.

Remember the Police are only moments away when you have seconds to live.