Home Cigar 101

Herf-A-Dor

SmokeeeSmokeee Posts: 220
I got a travel Herf-A-Dor for Xmas but there was no directions for it.
Do I need to do anything to this baby before I use it?

Comments

• j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    Yeah...fill it with cigars and send it to me...I'll inspect it to make sure it seals properly and test the cigars to assure that it maintains humidityStick out tongue [:P].

All kidding aside, it's good to go. I'd recommend putting a humi pillow in it if you plan to keep cigars in it for more than a couple days, but other than that...load 'er up and enjoy.
  • SmokeeeSmokeee Posts: 220
    Now why didn't I think of that! That really made me LOL!

The humi pillow is a good idea! I also see this little round hole thingy in the middle... looks like a sponge or something under there. Should I put distilled water in that?

Thanks for your help!
    You can use the built-in humidifier if you like. I think it's easier to use a pillow or tube of beads myself, but the choice is yours, should work fine either way.
  • YankeeManYankeeMan Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you use the little humidifier, just give it a spritz of distilled water and you're good to go for a few days. As everyone else has said, a humi-pillow works so long as it doesn't take up too much room in a small herfador.
  • TatuajeVITatuajeVI Posts: 2,378
    I just used mine over Christmas when I was traveling. I used the build in humidifier and it was a bit of a pain. I brought a digi hygrometer with me and it was reading about 80% most of the time. Next time I'll just use the pillows. :)

Neat little case, though. I've got the 10-cigar size one and it actually fits about 10 cigars, which is hilarious to me considering any other humidor I've owned says one number and I divide by 2 to get the actual number. Course, I don't buy a lot of coronas.
  • ironhorseironhorse Posts: 469
    depends on how long of a trip. If its more than 2 days, then you should probably use some sort humidification, but if you are using it for an overnight, the humidified cigars and the air-tightness of the herf, you can just wing it without humiidification. I don't like using up the small space with a humipack or tube, so I use the puck with the solution, but you do have to have a keen eye in soaking it only a little at a time over the course of a longer trip so you don't over humidify. It's a small space in there.
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    j0z3r:
    Yeah...fill it with cigars and send it to me...I'll inspect it to make sure it seals properly and test the cigars to assure that it maintains humidityStick out tongue [:P].

All kidding aside, it's good to go. I'd recommend putting a humi pillow in it if you plan to keep cigars in it for more than a couple days, but other than that...load 'er up and enjoy.
    Just send him some white owls, I hear jozer loves them! hehe

yeah just fill the cap thingy with water but not too much. fill it up and enjoy. Just don't leave the thing latched if your flying. Works great took mine camping.
    phobicsquirrel:
    j0z3r:

Just send him some white owls, I hear jozer loves them! hehe
    Only if they're pineapple.
  • badge54fdbadge54fd Posts: 241
    I took my first trip over the holidays with my Herf-a-dor. Worked like a charm

Brought along a good supply of my favorites, and was even able to re-stock from a local B&M with some ISOM sticks.

I even found some sticks made in Canada from Cuban tobacco. I am looking forward to trying them out.